How user friendly are Garmin track/training collars?

MtnDunn

FNG
Hey guys. I've been running a DT e-collar on my GSP for the past 6 years will relatively few issues. However, I have now added a puppy to the mix and am looking to making the upgrade to a Garmin multi-dog track/train system. I'm familiar with the GPS functionality, as this is Garmin's bread and butter. What I am more interested in is how user friendly are the stimulation features in the different handheld devices (Alpha 10, Alpha 100, Alpha 200, & Alpha 300). Are you able to easily go back and forth using stimulation of 2 dogs in the field at once; or, is it a multi-step process where you have to change a bunch of settings on a touch screen each time? For you upland hunters out there with experience using these systems, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

You can customize the functionality to your preference. The Alpha 100 for example, gives you 3 buttons. You can choose what each does.

Button 1 = Dog 1 tone
Button 2 = Dog 1 stimulate
Button 3 = Dog 2 tone

I often ran 2 dogs on the ground at once, per my moniker. I can't imagine trying to go back to pre-GPS days. Those were stressful times.

Austink47

WKR
I am new to the GPS collar game. Set up was pretty easy with the help of a few YouTube videos. Only issues I have had have been with connectivity. My controller has randomly lost connection to the collar a few times.

Hoghead

WKR
I run up to 5 dogs. I have the 200i, and the side buttons let you toggle between dogs fast. Believe me, if I can use it, anyone can.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

OP
MtnDunn

MtnDunn

FNG
Good to know. Thanks. What about the Alpha 10? Anyone have experience with that unit running multiple dogs?

kickemall

WKR
I have a Alpha 100 and a 200i. Since they came out with the 300 I would stay away from the 200i as it has a couple issues. The charging port is weak and the colors for the dogs are faded. The map program installed is a piece of crap and barely shows creeks and rivers although that is fixable with a Garmin chip. The Alpha 100 doesn't have these issues nor does the 300. Depending on how/where you hunt the inreach feature in the 200 and 300 is worth the extra money.

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
Good to know. Thanks. What about the Alpha 10? Anyone have experience with that unit running multiple dogs?
I've had an Alpha 10 for a couple months now. I'm using it with 2 dogs and has only been used on runs/hikes, but so far I am liking it. It's easy to toggle between dogs with their preset (ie. dog 1 tone dog 2 vibe) but if you have to toggle between dogs and toggle between tone/vibe/stim it is a bit slower than having 1 remote with t/v/s buttons. If you need to make quick changes or need to escalate quickly, like when my pup ran at a porcupine, it can be little nerve racking getting to the right dog and setting. That could be and probably is just me not being super familiar with it yet. All in all I really like my 10 and I'm not sure how I ever ventured out without GPS collars!
You may want to check out Garmin's 550+ handheld. I almost went that route but decided on the 10 for the smaller size

As mentioned above they have three buttons above the screen that you can set however you want and the a toggle on the side to go between pages of what those buttons do. Pretty easy to set up and use. If you have any particular questions either post them here or feel free to PM me. I use it on 6+ hounds and when we get on trash I can zap them all fairly quickly to try and stop them.

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I have no experience with the Alphas only the 550 pro. The 550 works great especially when working young dogs in training scenarios. It’s east to toggle to 3 different collars and the atom levels are easy to adjust. Older dogs out in the field you can put it in your pack or on your belt. It pairs well with the Garmin watch to show you distance and direction and will alert you when the dogs on point.
Biggest con is how big it is, when hunting.

Jgormond3

FNG
I have experience with the Alpha 200i and the Alpha 10. The 200/300 models will function the same, scroll buttons on the side that switch between dogs and then 3 buttons up top that are completely programmable for however you see fit (tone, vibrate, momentary, continuous, light activation) all with independent stimulation levels that are dog specific. Set it and forget it. My father who is not tech savvy whatsoever picked it up and figured it out after two or three outings. The Alpha 10 (my favorite) is a little less user friendly for training. In the field I only need to use a stimulation for recall and mostly only tone with my beagles. It is not touch screen, it uses a joystick to control your selections and you have to scroll between each dog and then press the stimulation button which can toggle between T/V/C/M. The Alpha 10 uses only compass tracking however you can pair it to the Garmin Explore app on your phone and even offline get full satellite map tracking capabilities that the 200/300 are known for.

tops911

FNG
I find the Alphas easy to use, I have both the 100 and 200i. I typically run 3 dogs at once on walks and the ability to customize the buttons to your preference is a plus. For example I have the left button for the old dog, middle button for young dog and the right button for the weenie dog (she's a bas ass). one screen is just vibrate, toggle to the next screen and its stimulation. works good for me. the 200i is easier to toggle between screens for the stimulation, especially with the screen locked. when the 100 has the screen locked you can not change the button function without first unlocking the screen

Last edited:

TSAMP

WKR
Any Alpha 10 updates? Gonna pull the trigger on a 2 dog option here soon.

Toondaddy

FNG
I’m a professional bird hunting guide and 550 pro plus is what I use. Can run up to three dogs, I usually run just two but occasionally I will run two pointers with a flusher. The collar is very simple and I can work it without even looking at it. The Alphas were to slow to try to run 2 or three dogs and have tone but with the option to low shock if needed (usually just on the young dogs or when things get crazy with a lot of birds). I didn’t need all the extra features, simple is better for me.

bduke7645

FNG
I ran an alpha 100 for good amount of time but still chose to use a Astro paired with a garmin 550.

The track/train is a good system but remember if you loose connection to the dog/signal you loose everything as to why I run 2 collars so I always have some sort of function.

OP
MtnDunn

MtnDunn

FNG
I have been running the Alpha 10 for the past several months on both my GSP's in both training and hunting scenarios. Overall, I am fairly pleased. It has taken some getting used to, but it's pretty easy. Likes: compact, GPS helps you keep tabs on your dogs in heavy cover. Cons: A little slow when stemming your dogs, and have to be super vigilant you have the correct dog selected when stemming.

Rchery

FNG
Just bought the alpha 10. The stimulation button is small. Changing from tone to stim. or vibrate is not as fast because you have to pull up the window n select. I like the small size. Pretty easy to get the hang of. Overall happy with purchase. I run one dog.