Howa VS Tikka

Jeff_Gibbons

Lil-Rokslider
Have 3 Howas now. All are great shooters and never experienced any reliability issues. I have swapped all triggers with Timneys. Only complaint I’ve had has been mentioned. They’re heavier than my REM 700

Qholum37

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a huge fan of Tikka’s and prefer them but Howa’s are pretty solid. Rebarreled a Howa that I had for years from 7 Rem to 7 PRC, put a Timney in it and and put it in a VG2. Awesome rifle that shoots great. My dad has pretty much adopted it, he loves it.

bow_dozer

Lil-Rokslider
How do you like that VG2? I’ve been kicking that option around for a bit.
I got mine in the raw carbon, I didn’t want to wait the 8 weeks or whatever it was. I think my slipped thru QC. Both screws have made their way out of the buttstock/recoil pad. It’s now epoxied on.
Fit was real tight, like eat at the buffet and unbutton pants tight.

Qholum37

Lil-Rokslider
The VG2 stock that I got had no issues and was inletted perfect. My only complaint was the hollow sound but I removed the pad and filled it with spray foam which helped a lot. Pretty easy mod just make sure you get the low expansion foam so it doesn’t expand and crack the carbon. Super lightweight option, very comfortable and looks great

Do you known if the bolt stop is something that can be changed? To accommodate a longer COAL?

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
Yes, but in this case a good gunsmith should be able to just trim yours a little to allow longer COAL. Depending on how much you want to go longer, you may need to tweak or switch out the box too.
Please note I'm NOT a smith, but this is pretty common adjustment for a M70 rechamber...

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Yes, but in this case a good gunsmith should be able to just trim yours a little to allow longer COAL. Depending on how much you want to go longer, you may need to tweak or switch out the box too.
Please note I'm NOT a smith, but this is pretty common adjustment for a M70 rechamber...
Thank you. I'm strongly leaning towards putting something together off this M70. It's a turd of a shooter which is why it just sits there collecting dust. An I like to be different. Haven't seen to many badass M70 builds.

Thank you. I'm strongly leaning towards putting something together off this M70. It's a turd of a shooter which is why it just sits there collecting dust. An I like to be different. Haven't seen to many badass M70 builds.

I saw the 7SAW mentioned earlier. I have a 7-08AI and can get 2800 fps with a 162 grain ELD-X out of a 20” barrel using Varget and a CCI 200.

TaperPin

WKR
I had a random memory that relates to your model 70. I had a 1989ish short action model 70 and to turn it into a 284 the magazine needed to be tweaked to feed the fatter cartridge. Now there’s probably all sorts of magazine parts on eBay that would make the swap easier. Should be a fun gun.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
I had a random memory that relates to your model 70. I had a 1989ish short action model 70 and to turn it into a 284 the magazine needed to be tweaked to feed the fatter cartridge. Now there’s probably all sorts of magazine parts on eBay that would make the swap easier. Should be a fun gun.
Ive been also looking at the 284 win.

I just bought both.

For me a tikka hunting rifle requires the purchase of a recoil pad, an aftermarket bottom metal as the trigger guards are undersized for gloved use and getting used to a light & crisp trigger with loads of overtravel.

A howa needs a new stock and potentially a timney trigger if the factory trigger has creep. They don’t have many stainless options on the market anymore. I do prefer the traditional bottom metal, magazine capacity in standard calibers a short action options over a tikka.

TaperPin

WKR
Ive been also looking at the 284 win.

It fits, but there’s not much extra room left over. Lol

Those fat little cases are sure cute though - same for the new fat and short ones.
There was a nearly new Stainless 300 SAUM Rem 700 on the used gun rack at Scheels for $600. The throwaway plastic stock didn’t even have any scuffs on it. It was hard to walk away with the cash still in my pocket.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
It fits, but there’s not much extra room left over. Lol

Those fat little cases are sure cute though - same for the new fat and short ones.
There was a nearly new Stainless 300 SAUM Rem 700 on the used gun rack at Scheels for $600. The throwaway plastic stock didn’t even have any scuffs on it. It was hard to walk away with the cash still in my pocket.
Does 284 Win take a large rifle primer or magnum.

sndmn11

WKR
We have four Vanguards and two Tikkas.

My wife and I hunt with vanguards and have for 5 years. They were out wedding presents to each other. Mine was a wderness and now is in a Stockys; it comes in at 6.5lbs. Hers was a Camilla and now is in a KRG Bravo. Another is our son's future rifle, also in a Stockys. My dad has one ina BC that I think is 7lbs.

The kid's and dads are not 6.5cm and finicky, mine and @KickinNDishin 's are easy. All have Timneys.

I just got a bunch of barrel blanks in and mine will become a switch barrel.

I bought in Tikka about 20 years ago and the safety/locked bolt annoyed me. When we decided to get new rifles, we both liked the vanguards. That Tikka is now in a bravo and a 22br barrel.

The other Tikka I found last year is a Hardy barrel we put it in a Stockys and then gave it to my brother.

I like our Vanguards. We are comfortable with them, they work, they were silly easy to bed because the lug is where the action screw threads in, there's an OK quality plastic DBM, and there's a metal floor plate option. My wilderness shows the action with a light profile barrel can make a lightweight rifle.

If they fit the budget, the only downside I have come across is I cannot order a prefit.

Ranger 692

Lil-Rokslider
I made a point to look at how smooth or rough the bolt on the Howa mini barreled action I got last month is. It’s not Tikka smooth but it definitely isn’t rough, I was pleasantly surprised. Trigger wasn’t bad either got it down to about 2.5 lbs without cutting springs. Stockys VG shows up today, plopping a Trijicon Huron on it and off we go. Truck gun de-luxe

The safety is cartoonish though, no doubt about that.

Last edited:

Mulyhuntr

WKR
Won a howa 22-250 in a raffle. Thing wouldn't shoot worth a darn. Promptly sold it and will never own another when I know there's a 99%+ chance any tikka I buy will shoot.

bpitcher

FNG
I've owned 3 Howas now (.270, '06, 6.5PRC). All of them have shot well below MOA with factory ammo.

I really like that they offer barreled actions, allowing you to build the rifle more to your wants and needs.