Howdy from North Idaho

Howdy guys, have been lurking for a couple weeks, sure is a very neat forum! A little about myself... I live here in North Idaho on the east side of Coeur D'alene Lake and am an avid outdoorsman. Whether I'm elk hunting or coyote trapping, I find myself in the mountains a good majority of the time. Backpack hunting is relatively new to me, but I am very intrigued and eager to start.

From my couple weeks of research, I've decided on a Kifaru Bikini Frame and an EMR II Pack, my hunts/hikes will be ranging from day hunts to 5 day hunts. The EMR II appears to have the versatility to fulfill those needs. I'm 75% sold on the Bikini Frame, but still have that little voice in the back of my head wondering if the Duplex would be best for the long run? My average loads will MAX around 75 lbs but on my elk hunts wouldn't be surprised if I max around 100. Also, I've read packs are a little more sturdy on the Duplex, and a little more sloppy/hard to balance on the Bikini? I may be over thinking it.

Well I'm sure I'll have more questions on rain systems, etc in the near future, but appreciate any insight you folks give me.

Thank you,

CJ Ratliff

OP
NorthCountry
I appreciate the reply, and I think I'll take you up on that. Ill shoot you a PM.

I guess thats one downside of purchasing high end packs - no retailers stock them.

So you have the Nomad currently? I was going to do the exact thing you're talking about, Nomad with Camp bag, but I figure the EMR II is just that; a Nomad with a built-in Camp bag. I like the sleeves, and overall set up of the EMR (even though I am basing my opinion on videos, pics and reviews without any hands on).

Howdy guys, have been lurking for a couple weeks, sure is a very neat forum! A little about myself... I live here in North Idaho on the east side of Coeur D'alene Lake and am an avid outdoorsman. Whether I'm elk hunting or coyote trapping, I find myself in the mountains a good majority of the time. Backpack hunting is relatively new to me, but I am very intrigued and eager to start.

From my couple weeks of research, I've decided on a Kifaru Bikini Frame and an EMR II Pack, my hunts/hikes will be ranging from day hunts to 5 day hunts. The EMR II appears to have the versatility to fulfill those needs. I'm 75% sold on the Bikini Frame, but still have that little voice in the back of my head wondering if the Duplex would be best for the long run? My average loads will MAX around 75 lbs but on my elk hunts wouldn't be surprised if I max around 100. Also, I've read packs are a little more sturdy on the Duplex, and a little more sloppy/hard to balance on the Bikini? I may be over thinking it.

Well I'm sure I'll have more questions on rain systems, etc in the near future, but appreciate any insight you folks give me.

Thank you,

CJ Ratliff

I started with a Bikini/Dt2, but switched to a Duplex/EMR2 this year. For me, the Duplex rides and carries better, especially with a heavy load. With a light load (20-30 pounds), I still like the Duplex frame better. I packed 4 animals out with it and logged plenty of hours of 50-60 pound long range hunting loads on it. The bag is impressive...you can put way more in it than a normal person can carry!

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Duplex, Duplex, Duplex. I have both and the Duplex just plain kicks ass. I live in CDA, let me know if you want to see them.

OP
NorthCountry
Bitchen, I'd love to be able to see the Duplex/EMR in person if we can work out a meeting date. I'm all for buying top quality gear, but it sure is reassuring to handle it before I drop a grand on packing equipment, especially being new to the game.

Last edited: