Hunter attacked by dogs

9MM has done impressively well stopping bear attacks, what would make a person think a dog would be any different?
That's where my head has been. I guess he seemed like the kind of guy that doesn't mind overkill. explained a situation where there is 2-3 dogs and they're running and you need to stop at least 1 right away and then redirect to the other 2 which are likely already on your dog...said he'd seen 9mm bounce off a pits head. Can't say I believe him but I wouldn't put it past that breed of dog. Selective breeding for gameness does still find its way in the genetics in some pits from prior generations unfortunately.

still think 9mm is fine. can't see how it wouldnt be

Happened to me, but I was packing. 9 dogs (pit mixes of various shapes and sizes) running all over our hunt club, trying to kill fawns. Saw fawn twins on one side of the field and the doe running around, stomping and snorting on the other. She was trying to draw the pack away from her fawns.

I yelled at the pack and they ran straight for me, barking and growling. I yelled, waved my arms, then shot a couple of rounds just in front of them, which turned them. Three-S treatment from all club members if they are ever spotted again.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
An extendable leash, especially on a mega strong dog like a pit bull, has got to be one of the dumbest things possible.
Labs are more prolific biters than boxers. I guess should start talking sternly to lab owners if I see them in stores or on sidewalks?

View attachment 677712

Think about how many more labs are owned than boxers. I bet it’s 5 to 1 at a minimum. Not sure if that graph counts per capita.

IdahoBeav

WKR
Labs are more prolific biters than boxers. I guess should start talking sternly to lab owners if I see them in stores or on sidewalks?

View attachment 677712
If they allow their dog to walk up to anyone and everyone or let their dog off the leash, absolutely. However, I'm yet to meet anyone with a lab that had a chip on their shoulder and had to bring their dog everywhere and prove how safe they believe their dogs are.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

View attachment 677712
Can't rely on certain graphs like this. Data throughout the country has never been properly recorded or altered for purposes of drawing trends around breed and bites on humans.

Anything over 40lbs that clearly is an animal (30lb mini poodle is types I am excluding), this includes your goldens and labs and doodle mixes, is fair game if an incompetent owner fails to perform the duties expected of a dog owner

Happened to me, but I was packing. 9 dogs (pit mixes of various shapes and sizes) running all over our hunt club, trying to kill fawns. Saw fawn twins on one side of the field and the doe running around, stomping and snorting on the other. She was trying to draw the pack away from her fawns.

I yelled at the pack and they ran straight for me, barking and growling. I yelled, waved my arms, then shot a couple of rounds just in front of them, which turned them. Three-S treatment from all club members if they are ever spotted again.
Its situations like this that I need to be reminded of everyday that I don't hike or go out into public land with handgun.

Kilboars

WKR
idiot gets dog=pit bull.
Agree.

As a kid my neighbor had an English terrier, like a spuds McKenzie pitbull and this thing would attack anything and would not stop till you got the other animal out of the area.
I’ve never seen one like him since but these American pit-bulls seem the same.

Kilboars

WKR
I’m a big fan of Tim Larkin and his book When Violence is Necessary in how to inflict injury on an attacker.

How would you inflict injury to a dog/dogs that are attacking you.
Pop an eye out?
Crush their throat?
Kick in the nads?

Grab a back leg?

I’m a big fan of Tim Larkin and his book When Violence is Necessary in how to inflict injury on an attacker.

How would you inflict injury to a dog/dogs that are attacking you.
Pop an eye out?
Crush their throat?
Kick in the nads?

Grab a back leg?
punt kick to the mid section...if you use enough force to lift its feet off the ground it usually knock the wind out of them and it will buy you some reaction time. You wanna stay on your feet.

MattB

WKR
That's where my head has been. I guess he seemed like the kind of guy that doesn't mind overkill. explained a situation where there is 2-3 dogs and they're running and you need to stop at least 1 right away and then redirect to the other 2 which are likely already on your dog...said he'd seen 9mm bounce off a pits head. Can't say I believe him but I wouldn't put it past that breed of dog. Selective breeding for gameness does still find its way in the genetics in some pits from prior generations unfortunately.

still think 9mm is fine. can't see how it wouldnt be
A lot depends on the bullet, more so than the caliber IMO. When looking at high-end hard cast ammunition like Buffalo Bore, their best 9mm loads will out-penetrate their equivalent 10mm loads.

One time I went into the fly shop in South Park and as soon as I walked in there was a huge pitbull standing there looking at me with the biggest head I've ever seen on a dog. I've been bitten by a pitbull before so I was immediately nervous about this dog roaming free in the shop. It belonged to the guy working there and he could tell I was nervous so the first thing he says is "don't worry about the dog he's a big teddy bear" which didn''t fly with me. I made him take it behind the counter before I got what I needed.

That breed/type of dog doesn't need to exist anymore in my opinion, and I wish they weren't allowed in public places even on a leash.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
Wife works in the vet field and just this week had a pitbull bite a small beagle mix at one of their clinics. The worst part is that the beagle was just over a year old, on its way out the door and all it did was walk past and the pitbull snapped. On top of the physical wounds it is going to take a long time, possibly never, for that dog to be better mentally. All because somebody wants to own a dog that is known to have aggressive traits and roll the mixed breed dice to hope they don’t get one that’s aggressive.

German Shepards are another one, both of my wife’s bites were from German Shepards while at work though neither were too serious. Not that they couldn’t have been, if she wasn’t as quick as she was her scratch on the cheek and nose could have easily been her eye or a chunk of her face. And the people didn’t even have the common courtesy to apologize to her.

I personally won’t own a guard dog, if its default setting is to bite things you have to actively train it not to bite all but a select few things. If you don’t get it right it can bite you or your child just as easily as an attacker. I’ll stick with my Golden, the worst she does is pick up and eat things she’s not supposed to while making stupid faces at me. And hop, she hops a lot.

IMG_9761.jpeg

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
One a serious note, when we lived in a community north of the San Diego area we would see all theses older people walking around carrying a golf club of some sort or a serious walking stick. When I asked a few of them why, they always said for dog protection. Some also carried mace or pepper spray (allegedly).

One time my wife and I were driving through the SD Hillcrest neighborhood when we saw a very panicked jogger with a big pitbull quickly moving towards her. We pulled up next her and before we could say anything she jumped in the back seat of my truck. The dog was a 1/2 step away barking and snapping and jumping up on the truck door as we took off. Another stray dog.

When I live in the Chicagoland area I remember an incident that happened in 2003 where a woman was attracted and killed by some stray pitbulls. She was jogging in one of the forest preserves (southwest side one I believe) and was mauled and killed. Another lady was also mauled but I believe she survived.

After all these experiences I definitely carry pepper spray/bear spray along with stronger back up just in case. Between aggressive stray dogs and stupid owners with aggressive dogs you really have to be on guard and prepared.