Hunter attacked by dogs

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
150 lb. boar absorbed 7 rounds from my 9mm while charging me from 40 yards before dropping at my feet. The one right behind him turned away at the last minute or I'd be replying now with voice to text or a ouija board. :) I'm all bout the 10mm while boar hunting now.

I've carried my bird dog to the emergency vet before. It's heartbreaking.
Impressive shooting! What ammo?

7mm-08

WKR
View attachment 519300I'm a dog lover but not everyone is like us, and you have to be prepared. The devil comes out of nowhere. These people's dog has come after mine a few times. I was carrying when this happened, but in Michigan you can't defend your dog with lethal force. I had to beat it off with a walking stick. They wouldn't give up their information so I took a picture and started circulating it around. Plenty of public outcry in a small town and a neighbor gave them up quick. The police had their info the next morning. Best advice carry pepper spray and take pictures or video, it made it pretty hard for them to deny what happened.
Sorry, but if I had a sweet, old hound mix like that, I would have gotten noisely pretty quickly. Glad you kept your head, did the right thing and worked to identify the owners of the vicious dogs. You're a better man than I would be in that situation.

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
People get emotional about their pets. I was once cornered in my tree stand while bow hunting for half an hour. No side arm and no bear spray. This was a mixture of what I would call a friendly bunch of neighborhood dogs but not after they packed up "they were hunting."

Still I would not shoot one other than with pepper spray. Take out the leader and the rest generally will run.

Gotta remember the owners were negligent in allowing them to run free but the owners probably have kids that are very attached to those animals. I would not want to be responsible for that kind of grief.

However, I would report the incident to the local law enforcement, conservation police, social media including local news paper. Times are changing, laws are changing and we need to consider the image of hunters.

I feel for the OP and his canine companion. This should not have happened but we must consider our response carefully. I have seen individuals suffer the rage of a community when their pet has been injured or killed. Public opinion can have serious and long standing consequences. Its always best to stay on the positive side.

crich

WKR
I’m a big fan of Tim Larkin and his book When Violence is Necessary in how to inflict injury on an attacker.

How would you inflict injury to a dog/dogs that are attacking you.
Pop an eye out?
Crush their throat?
Kick in the nads?

Grab a back leg?
Youd sacrafice a forearm but if you let the dog bite your forearm, bring your other arm behind their head/neck. Then push up and back with the sacraficed arm while holding tight with the rear and itll put severe pressure on their neck potentially snapping it if its hard enough. Idk where I read this but a neighbor had a large mix breed that played very rough and never knew when to stop. I let him grab my arm and applied a small amount of upward pressure using this move just to test it and he quit immediately. He was trying to release but couldnt because I had pressure on his upper jaw. I didnt hurt him but it proved that it could be effective in an actual attack.

I feel like an adult male has the strength to severely injure most dogs doing this if your adrenaline kicks in. Obviously there are exceptions. 🤷

xsn10s

WKR
I carry everyday now. But for those with laws preventing them to defend their pets with lethal force I suggest using a TASER. And not some stungun, an actual TASER. Most dogs that have been tased will run with their tails between their legs, once they are off their five second ride. If their owners need a ride you can tase both if they are holding their dogs.

H

HappyHuntr

We own kangal shepards. Look them up they have the largest bite force in the world for domesticated dogs. One bit my arm and would've crushed my elbow with an extra 3 centimeters closer.

Youd sacrafice a forearm but if you let the dog bite your forearm, bring your other arm behind their head/neck. Then push up and back with the sacraficed arm while holding tight with the rear and itll put severe pressure on their neck potentially snapping it if its hard enough. Idk where I read this but a neighbor had a large mix breed that played very rough and never knew when to stop. I let him grab my arm and applied a small amount of upward pressure using this move just to test it and he quit immediately. He was trying to release but couldnt because I had pressure on his upper jaw. I didnt hurt him but it proved that it could be effective in an actual attack.

I feel like an adult male has the strength to severely injure most dogs doing this if your adrenaline kicks in. Obviously there are exceptions. 🤷

I'll second this wrap-around method - it's taught in certain circles as what to do if a dog latches on. On a related note, when I was a kid I also saw a really crusty old desert-rat of a coyote hunter/trapper kill a 'yote in a similar manner, as part of a two-step method of killing a trapped animal without shooting it. It's worth sharing for defense reasons as well.

When he came up to the animal in one of his leg traps he used a hardwood dowel or handle of some kind, and would swing hard right down on the bridge of the coyote's nose, 1-4 inches back from the actual tip. There are so many nerves in a canine right there that the impact caused the coyotes to go from snarling and snapping, to seized up rigid like they were having a seizure. Stiff and vibrating but unconscious. Then he'd straddle them from behind, put one forearm on the back of the neck at the base of the skull, then grab onto the coyote's nose/muzzle with the other and wrench it back, leveraging the skull/neck against the forearm. There was an audible snap-pop, and dead coyote. It was absolutely gruesome, but unarguably deadly.

For me, the most instructive part was actually the muzzle strike. Instant KO. Dogs in a fight can take an enormous amount of bodily punishment without letting go, but that nose strike is the off-button.

It has been my observation that people who own those breeds of dogs have a tendency to be ridiculous and irresponsible regarding their animals. I've pissed off a few pitbull/Rott/Boxer/etc. owners in stores and sidewalks by sternly telling them to keep their dogs away from me and my kids. I own labs, and they're good with kids, but if I see someone else with kids or dogs while I'm out on a walk, I pull the leash all the way in and have the dog next to me as others pass.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
I’ve noticed that too. I always thought it was crappy owners but I watched a video from usscca about someone shooting a dog, and I forget the exact numbers but if someone is killed by a dog it’s almost 100% chance it was a pit. I hadn’t seen my pics in awhile and forgot how mad I was that day. People suck that’s for sure

Sorry, but if I had a sweet, old hound mix like that, I would have gotten noisely pretty quickly. Glad you kept your head, did the right thing and worked to identify the owners of the vicious dogs. You're a better man than I would be in that situation.
She’s a sweet old lady, most loyal dog I’ve ever had. You can’t beat getting an adult dog from a rescue they appreciate everything you do for them.

Shove your fist into the back of their mouth. The dog will freak out and let go real quick.

Mojave

WKR
Bear spray is freaking awesome.

I have used that shit on a ton of things. Sled dogs in Barrow alaska that were not tied up. Rattlensake that would not leave me alone and I didn't have a stick or a shovel.

The neighbor has a chihuahua and I have told them if that dog bites me it will take a pepper spray bath.

Help me understand how this works if the dog is biting down on something/

P
Gotta have your hand out in front between you and the dog. When they go to bite, drive your fist into their tonsils.

Did that to a Great Dane that was a known biter. First time he came at me I got him good. Second time he came at me pensively. Got him good again. There wasn't a third time, he knew I was the alpha.