Huntin' Fool vs Epic Outdoors (Jason Carter)

I received a brochure in my mailbox with the new Epic Outdoors membership (owned by Jason Carter). Anybody have an opinion on these guys? Better than Huntin' Fool? Worse? Thinking about joining, but want some input first.

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
I've talked with Adam Bronson from Epic a couple of times and he was super nice and helpful and I think they're building a good product, but as a member of the HF, the previous tagholder reference lists have been extremely valuable to us on a number of out of state, DIY hunts. If you're going on your own, I don't know how you'd replace that feature. Sure, you'll get some help asking on all sorts of internet forums, but have had way better luck through the reference lists.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've talked with Adam Bronson from Epic a couple of times and he was super nice and helpful and I think they're building a good product, but as a member of the HF, the previous tagholder reference lists have been extremely valuable to us on a number of out of state, DIY hunts. If you're going on your own, I don't know how you'd replace that feature. Sure, you'll get some help asking on all sorts of internet forums, but have had way better luck through the reference lists.
Agreed but I will say that Jason and Adam were some of the best at Huntin' Fool before Garth sold it. I'd bet they will build a solid business.

I tried getting the previous hunter lists for two different hunts this year. One I never got. The other had only 3 names on it. When I talked to the lady about getting it she said wow that's a long list there are two pages of names. After 3 more calls they finally emailed me 3 names. I wouldn't count on getting it anymore.

OP
H
I tried getting the previous hunter lists for two different hunts this year. One I never got. The other had only 3 names on it. When I talked to the lady about getting it she said wow that's a long list there are two pages of names. After 3 more calls they finally emailed me 3 names. I wouldn't count on getting it anymore.

Wow. That's pretty bad. Thanks for sharing your experience.

dble07

Lil-Rokslider
I drew 2 out state tags and called to get the list for both on separate occasions. Both were sent to me within 24hrs and both looked to be pretty complete dating back 5 years if I remember correctly. Looks like we had 2 different experiences.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jm1607

WKR
Epic is very similar with lots of little differences.. I was a little worried with the 1st magazine cause it just seemed like all they did was brag about their hunts, but it has chilled out since..

Here's what I like about Epic more:

I prefer the 1 in 20 odds style layout as opposed to a percentage because they are a little more accurate and easier to truly understand, especially if it's a real tough draw

I like how their state unit maps are aerial views, not just drawings

I like how they include resident odds

I like how they DON'T rank the units (i.e., xxxx Rifle #1 hunt in state, xxxx Rifle #2 hunt in state) and make you decide for yourself

They include a moon chart

When I thought they made an error in some of their Arizona odds I e-mailed them, then Jason immediately e-mailed me and told me to call him so he could explain (in a nice way, and I was wrong). Very good service, although my experiences with HF have been good as well. My only issue with HF is when I call it seems like they're always in a rush to get me off the phone, but they do answer all my questions

I've just always enjoyed Jason's hunting videos and have been a long time fan of his, so I don't mind sending money his way

What I like about Huntin Fool more:

Their online draw odds calculator. It's very fun to play with and see a more detailed breakdown of point holders

They have alot of raffle ticket membership drives (although I no longer buy them)

If Epic Outdoors builds a similar odds calculator to HF, I think it would be the better choice 100%. But to be honest, they are VERY similar so it's kind of splitting hairs..

Last edited:

Ksbowhtr

FNG
I dropped HF this past year. I don't know about the rest of you, but I get tired of reading about the .001% and their sheep, Arizona elk, and Alaskan brown bear hunts, all in the same year. Most of us don't have 200k to spend on hunting each year. Seems to me these services cater to a select few clientele. I am looking at go hunt. Not sure if they are like HF, but might give them a try. I am very fortunate, and make a very good living, but I hate to see hunting going where it's going. Soon the average guy will have little to no quality hunt opportunities.

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the market for a service this year. This thread is almost two years down now, what are peoples experiences or preferences now that a few years have lapsed. Have htings improved or just held steady with these services?

I am in the market for a service this year. This thread is almost two years down now, what are peoples experiences or preferences now that a few years have lapsed. Have htings improved or just held steady with these services?
Love dealing with Jason and Adam. Actually anyone you talk to will do anything to help.

Trial153

WKR
I have written off hunting fool. It may sound trivial however they refuse to let any New York members participate in drawings or raffles. I have contacted them about it and they state that it's against New York State law however just about every other service allows entries from New York State. I have contacted the state to clarify the law and quite frankly HF can be on board and allow New York members to participate by filing a form that takes about 20 minutes of their time at most. In fact I have filed the same form in order to hold a raffle for a conservation organization that I sit on the Board of Directors for. I figure if they cannot be straight up and honest about something like this then what else are they not honest about. I also feel that they should not be soliciting membership from New York if they're not willing to afford the members the same level of service and opportunity.