Hunting Boot Height?

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
I'm prepping for a bivy style backpack hunt for this coming September in southern Colorado. I currently own 2 pair of quality hiking boots:

10" Kenetrek Mountain Extreme = 4 lbs - 10 oz per pair (actual weight)
7" Asolo Powermatic GV 200 = 3 lbs - 14 oz per pair (actual weight)

Both pairs are very comfortable for me, so neither one wins out in the comfort department.

I bought the Asolo's as a hiking / backpacking boot. I bought the Kenetreks as a hunting boot. I wanted my hunting boots taller to provided more coverage for creek crossing and so that I could tuck my pants into my boots to keep the ticks, chiggers and debris out. I also chose them because they are advertised at 3.9 lbs per pair, which isn't even close to their actual weight. I never bothered to weight them until recently.

I noticed this year, after switching to and old pair of Danner Jackals (8" / 2 lb - 12 oz) during the hunting season, that it was much less fatiguing with the lighter boots when hiking into my stand with my pack on. I realize the Jackals aren't up to the task of a mountain hunt, but it made me realize the affect of boot weight on my feet and body.

Most articles recommend a taller boot for heavy packs in mountainous areas. I was wondering if I would be doing myself a disservice (ie, increasing potential for ankle strain and or injury because not enough support) wearing the lighter and shorter Asolos vs the taller and heavier Kenetreks.

I just did a 7 1/2 mile conditioning hiking loop with a 60+ lb pack and my Kenetreks on, and I could barely lift my feet the last 2 miles. I'm early in my conditioning routine, so a lot of that will improve once I get into better shape, but I'm just wondering if I could get away with a lighter boot and still be safe and happy with my choice and feet at the end of a long elk hunting day?

Robert

kodiakfly

WKR
Don't confuse boot height with ankle support. You can have plenty of support in a shorter boot. I've worn the taller boots like the tall Meindls and such but my boot of choice is a Lhotse and it's not a super tall boot, but it's got ankle support like a plastic. Put the boots on and roll your ankle over to the side...you'll quickly and directly feel how much ankle support you have. For me, it's ankle support as I have a post-op ankle that gives me fits. But there's a saying I've heard in mountaineering: "a pound on your foot is like seven on your back." I'd guess the Kenetreks will win the ankle battle between those boots, but if the Asolos are stout enough, go for it. Were it me, and with a load over 40-50 lbs, I'd choose the Kenetreks and train my way into tolerating the little bit of extra weight.

Buster

WKR
I like 10 inch boots, but I'm at an advantage because I wear 10 inch steel toed boots for 12-16 hours a day that are relatively heavy. My hunting boots feel like slippers. Taller boots feel better on my ankles/legs, and shorter boots have given me weird issues. I have several hard hiking friends that swear by shorter boots. (Scarpas are very popular). Shorter boots can still give you great support, so it ultimately comes down to personal preference. Just make sure it's a boot that won't break down when you need it the most.

Beastmode

WKR
10 inch boots tall? Try wearing 16 inchers all day at work! In all honesty 10 is max i would go in a hunting boot. 8 is right around perfect.

The problem with most 10 inch boots is they usually have really soft uppers. This is for comfort. At the same time it creates a false sense of more ankle support. It really doesn't give you any more support than an 8, unless the upper is a stiffer material. Which will feel a little uncomfortable at the very top of the upper. If the kenetreks really fit you well I would take a look at their hardscrabble. Its a shorter boot but still plenty rugged. There are not a whole lot of guys I know that the kenetreks fit but the ones that they do fit swear by them.

Bughalli

WKR
Hootsma, I have the exact same two pairs of boots and struggled with the same question. Over time I learned it really came down to what type of terrain I would be hiking and what would I have with me. I opt for the Asolo most of the time because most time is spent with no pack at all or only a small day pack. Asolo's are lighter, cooler, more enjoyable, don't absorb water weight as much and dry out faster. I generally move faster with them as well. But, they're only good if carrying a pack on moderate terrain. For me, most of the pack carrying portion of the hunt the terrain isn't bad and somewhat predictable under your feet. Often a horse trail, hiking trail or ridge top. So no big deal. I drop the pack before I get into the nasty stuff. The Asolo's can handle the trails with a pack or nasty stuff with no pack.

If I was going to be doing steep terrain with a pack or more so, a lot of steep side-hilling then I opt for the Kenetrek. (I have the 10 inch too, but they are really overkill. 6 or 8 inch would be just as good.) The Kenetreks are really awesome if doing steep side hilling. Your ankles and feet can get tired and beat up in Asolo's with a pack and uneven terrain. The Kenetreks are bricks, but rock solid. Your legs get tired, but your feet and ankles won't. I find my legs can recover faster than ankles or feet when back in the mountains for days at a time.

So pick your boots based on what your terrain is like on the hike in and how you hunt.

Last edited:
Hootsma, I have the exact same two pairs of boots and struggled with the same question. Over time I learned it really came down to what type of terrain I would be hiking and what would I have with me. I opt for the Asolo most of the time because most time is spent with no pack at all or only a small day pack. Asolo's are lighter, cooler, more enjoyable, don't absorb water weight as much and dry out faster. I generally move faster with them as well. But, they're only good if carrying a pack on moderate terrain. For me, most of the pack carrying portion of the hunt the terrain isn't bad and somewhat predictable under your feet. Often a horse trail, hiking trail or ridge top. So no big deal. I drop the pack before I get into the nasty stuff. The Asolo's can handle the trails with a pack or nasty stuff with no pack.

If I was going to be doing steep terrain with a pack or more so, a lot of steep side-hilling then I opt for the Kenetrek. (I have the 10 inch too, but they are really overkill. 6 or 8 inch would be just as good.) The Kenetreks are really awesome if doing steep side hilling. Your ankles and feet can get tired and beat up in Asolo's with a pack and uneven terrain. The Kenetreks are bricks, but rock solid. Your legs get tired, but your feet and ankles won't. I find my legs can recover faster than ankles or feet when back in the mountains for days at a time.

So pick your boots based on what your terrain is like on the hike in and how you hunt.

Lotta good advice in this thread. I prefer a heavy solid and non-flexxing boots in steep terrain and a lighter, softer boot in the lowlands and flatlands.

OP
H

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
I tested both boots out. Put one on one foot and the other on the other foot and stood on the side of one foot rolling my ankle to see which one gave the most support / resistance. The Kenetreks were noticeable stiffer than the Asolos. I'm not sure if it's going to be enough of a difference. But, considering I'm a flat lander and I'll be carrying all of my gear, all day, everyday for 6 - 7 days, I think I need to error on the side of caution and go with the heavier boots. Looking at topos of units 74 and 65, they look hellishly steep.

Bughalli

WKR
I might suggest....don't plan on carrying all your gear, all day, every day. You simply don't need to, probably won't be as good a hunter if you do and certainly won't enjoy it. When possible, hunt smarter, not harder.

OP
H

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
I might suggest....don't plan on carrying all your gear, all day, every day. You simply don't need to, probably won't be as good a hunter if you do and certainly won't enjoy it. When possible, hunt smarter, not harder.
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying we should abandon the bivy style hunt where we stop wherever we are when it gets dark and make camp, in lieu of a spike camp style of hunt where we have to watch the clock and our distance from camp and return to camp every evening? Or is there some hybrid of these two that I'm not aware of.

The reason we are doing the bivy is because we've never hunted elk before and we won't be able to do any preseason scouting. The unit we've selected is pretty much at random. So we feel like we can increase our chances of success if we split up and go until we find them. Dropping the packs to put on a stalk is in the plans but other than that we'd be toting our packs. Right now my gear list puts me at about 55 lbs of total weight carried. That includes everything I'm wearing as well as my pack.