Hunting in other countries? I fly for free

Tsnider

WKR
Hey guys, ive only been bow hunting a few years (spent my entire life spending time outside though) and this whole back country hunting thing has me hooked. I live in Colorado and have almost gotten a bull two years in a row, last year i screwed up and this year another guy screwed me and my buddy over by being a selfish asshole. Anyway

My fiancé works for the airlines. And Im too into this to wait until next archery season and I'm not buying a rifle any time soon. i need more time in the field. I fly free or next to free and free checked bags.

I can't go pay a guide a ton of money so this would be DIY. The idea here is to be cheap.

Which counties should i look into? Preferably places that have different seasons than we do here.

OR Archer

WKR
Not another country but Hawaii has some awesome hunting. Goats, pigs, and axis deer. Non residents fee is $105 and there are no tags.

OP
Tsnider

Tsnider

WKR
I've certainly looked into New Zealand, but couldn't find much aside from ranches and paying a ton. I will have to search more. Hawaii sounds incredible, no tags but are there seasons?

marry me , fly for free!
love it.
I had one of those too!
keep looking at NZ,go for a walk first, dial it in and then go back and hunt!

OP
Tsnider

Tsnider

WKR
Yeah she has been wanting to go for a while to check out NZ, and I have too. We will be doing a random 2-3 week honeymoon of random flights to random places next year so i maybe i need to sneak NZ into the mix and see whats going on out there.

Beendare

WKR
I've looked hard at NZ myself. FYI, many of those Helo hunts are dropping guys into public ground.

You can do a DIY Tahr, Chamois hunt on the cheap....after the cost of getting there of course.No tag fee, no limits...and no seasons. You WILL end up paying dearly; in boot leather. I've looked hard at this and its no cakewalk to get into those areas that the Helos fly into....my research indicates a death march of 2- 3 day trek over rough country....into more rough country. And of course it will be rain, wind and mud the whole trip....that country is a beautiful emerald green for a reason- grin.

Those huge stags you see shot in NZ are almost all on private HF ground. By studying maps you should be able to get into areas that hold stags on public ground between the HF ranches or just outside their boundries. The quality of those stags if you are a horn hunter won't be the giants you see on the cover of the SCI mag...not even close.

I've run this hunt by a couple of bowhunting buddies (though I'm not sure I'm up for it myself) They all said, "screw that, lets hire the chopper!"

OP
Tsnider

Tsnider

WKR
not real worried about trophys, just good eating.

id be buying more gear before i start these types of adventures. need to aquire a sawtooth and stove, and a good spotting scope and then im good to go.

Last edited:
I just listened to a podcast with the Aussie hunter Adam Greentree and according to him Australia also has open season on several types of deer as well as brush bulls and Asian buffalo. No tags and pretty inexpensive from my what he it sounds . I have been there a few times and IMO its a fine country with some serious outdoors and great people but didn't hunt so no first hand hunt knowledge to share.

I live in Sweden where bowhunting is illegal. Got my eye on France, Åland, Bulgaria. Poland and Bulgaria if you want to hunt deer or hogs. Bulgaria should be cheap.

Skickat från min E5823 via Tapatalk

Will say I would expect diy in Europe to be tough. I have been looking into it and their land laws/ hunting rights laws are not setup like the western States.

Skickat från min E5823 via Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Australia is a great hunting destination...though tricky for a foreigner to do DIY without help from an aussie or guide. The thing i liked most about aus is the people- they are stout straightforward 'Can Do' folks which is refreshing coming from the states with so many whiny factions.

Australia is a massive country for one. The flight from Melbourne is appx 5 hours to get to Darwin and the northern territories which is made up of private stations the size of some of our national parks...and aboriginal arnemland. A guy can drive for days in that country which is all dirt roads that can be impassible in the rainy season.....thats not exactly rental car country- grin
cruiser crossing riv_1.jpg

Finding a spot might be a trick. They have some critters bugs and snakes that can wreck your day...
croc_1.jpgcroc2_1.jpg

And something like 6 of the worlds most poisonous snakes...I caught a major dressing down from our guide for being anywhere near this Black whip snake, though my buddy walked one foot from this one "if bit, you would be long dead before we could get you antivenin" [6 hours on dirt roads]
bowshot snake resized.jpg

The hunting is fantastic. My buddy describes a herd of wild pigs 1/4 mile long. Water buff, camels, hogs, donkeys, feral cattle- lots of interesting species with no tag required except for the Crocs.
Chuck bull2 me  and my hog.jpg
cont

Beendare

WKR
More australia

My buff W Robt2_1.jpgChuck buff1 group_1.jpg

Great fishing too....no license needed as I recall
big barra_1.jpg

But of course....you aren't in Kansas anymore Toto....
croc safety_1.jpg
A rare warning sign in remote country...."probably a spot where a few folks have been eaten" our guide said.

Then there was this bull that just about killed our assistant guide [busted him up good]...then charged me and my buddy. Our guide was lucky he was in thick brush to absorb the pounding as on open ground he would have been a bag of bones. When we finally caught up to the bull....he charged our guide....while he put 3 lightning fast shots in this bull...2 in the forehead and on through the hump if you look close next to his left eye. When you see these buff feeding you think placid cattle....but if they spot you its that famous line, "They look at you like you owe them money"...they can be mean as a mtn lion.
Bradleys buff2_1.jpg
At my limit here for pics but that gives you the idea...a great hunting destination.

My new nephew is an Aussie....but just my luck he is not a hunter.

Last edited:

Dinger

WKR
I just listened to a podcast with the Aussie hunter Adam Greentree and according to him Australia also has open season on several types of deer as well as brush bulls and Asian buffalo. No tags and pretty inexpensive from my what he it sounds . I have been there a few times and IMO its a fine country with some serious outdoors and great people but didn't hunt so no first hand hunt knowledge to share.

Anyone interested in public land hunts in Australia feel free to PM....for the east coast only (NSW & Victoria). I'm happy to share what is there, roughly where & abundance and any challenges a fly in hunter will encounter.

We may have large areas, with long (Mar-Oct) or no seasons, and unlimited tags but anyone who intends to grass a DIY public land stag or buck with a bow, in a short time frame, will have to work fairly hard.

OP
Tsnider

Tsnider

WKR
Yeah I wouldn't screw around in Australia without a guide of sorts just because of all the dangers that are so foreign to us here in the US. Had considered moving there next year for the sake of taking my fj cruiser and getting to explore the back country in my free time for a year or two. Then I discovered they won't let us bring out vehicles in, which is a bummer because it's fitted perfectly.

And Alaska, of course isn't another country but isn't a guide required in that state? One reason I haven't looked more into it.

Beendare

WKR
My buddy was shipping quad cab diesels to Australia 10 yrs ago- thats news no vehicles.

Ak reqs guides for some species but not blackies, sitka blacktails and moose- so when are you leaving?