Hunting in other countries? I fly for free

We had a friend that recently married a guy from Australia and he is the one who said the my don't allow vehicles, but he's a mechanic from there so I took his word for it.

I wish I was leaving next week! Need to buy a shelter and stove, and a few other higher quality odds and ends.

My buddy was shipping quad cab diesels to Australia 10 yrs ago
They would have been required to be converted to RHD by an approved workshop to prior to sale.....for private imports, and dependent on the State of registration, you have grace period (usually 12 months) to get the vehicle converted and certified by an engineer. Usually, and state dependent again, anything older than 30 years is exempt from the need to convert to RHD.

Had considered moving there next year for the sake of taking my fj cruiser and getting to explore the back country in my free time for a year or two.

And why would anyone one in their right mind want to drive a FJ cruiser out here......there are plenty of 80/100 series cruisers, Troopies, Patrols and Defenders! :D

You can buy new FJ's here, but they are in the minority.

We had a friend that recently married a guy from Australia and he is the one who said the my don't allow vehicles, but he's a mechanic from there so I took his word for it.

He was mostly correct, Australia wont allow you to import just for a holiday. Howver if you source a carnet to cover your vehicle it becomes a possibility....not sure how long a stay you can get on a carnet though.

Australia & US are members of the ATA Carnet System (ATA Carnet - Wikipedia), no problems to visit with a vehicle for a pre-defined short period. Expensive though to ship both ways and too pay for a carnet...it would be far cheaper to buy a vehicle, use it and on sell before departure.

As far as I know there are no RORO (Roll on Roll off) services for private carriage ex USA to AUS....you would have to pay for a shipping container both ways. That would be close to $10k alone.

I have looked into shipping my Defender to the UK then to the US for an extended family holiday and a carnet is the only way I can do this.

Yeah yeah yeah. I'm out of vacation time for the year, moving into a new place this weekend and getting married next year. Just trying to collect ideas of where I could realistically go when sprig hits.

Back