Hunting with a watch?

TX_Diver

WKR
Vaer field watch
Does what a watch is supposed to do,never take it off.

I had one of the USA assembled ones and really wanted to like it, but ultimately returned it. Which one you have?

For the OP any of the casio G-shocks will be fine but a Timex Ironman will probably be a bit simpler/cheaper if you're just looking for basic function. Will probably wear a bit smaller too which may be a plus for you if you don't normally wear a watch or like wearing one.

I am in the minority here. I hunt with a watch, but I eschew all quartz or electronic watches for a myriad of reasons. I wear strictly mechanical or automatic watches, partly because I cannot wear smart watches at work, and partly for the same reason why Chevelles and Sean Connery are cooler than Camrys and Pete Davidson. I never have to worry about beeps, boops, or bips. no batteries to die. They can be very rugged. Very easy to set. Most have functions beyond just telling time that can be useful for outdoor activities. When hunting I usually wear a Hamilton Khaki Mechanical or a Seiko Prospex "turtle diver" automatic watch.

I can't wear smartwatches at work either. Always debated getting a mechanical watch, but it seems easier just to take off my SW and put it back on when I'm done with work, than switch watches. When I hunt I use the sunset sunrise feature every day, set an alarm relative to those times, and then GPS functions in extreme scenarios.

Reactions: WKB

WKB

Lil-Rokslider
I can't wear smartwatches at work either. Always debated getting a mechanical watch, but it seems easier just to take off my SW and put it back on when I'm done with work, than switch watches. When I hunt I use the sunset sunrise feature every day, set an alarm relative to those times, and then GPS functions in extreme scenarios.
make the plunge...the water's warm.

I had one of the USA assembled ones and really wanted to like it, but ultimately returned it. Which one you have?

For the OP any of the casio G-shocks will be fine but a Timex Ironman will probably be a bit simpler/cheaper if you're just looking for basic function. Will probably wear a bit smaller too which may be a plus for you if you don't normally wear a watch or like wearing one.
C5
It’s just a watch that looks good,has the toughest crystal I have ever had and does its job.
Looks like a 50 doller watch but so far im impressed.
A watch is like a hammer or wrench to me.I use it as a tool that’s it.I need it to do its job at 3am when I wake,to do its job after I tip my kayak or in freezing weather when my phone and battery pack go out.

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
Day to day I use a Garmin Fenix 5, a bit older but it has heaps of great features that I find handy.

When I feel like ditching the smart watch I have a square solar G-Shock, I love the fact it's always charged and ready to go

summs

Lil-Rokslider
I run the cheapest Garmin watch. It can be found often for $150~. It tells me time, heart rate, sunrise/sunset and barometric at a glance and built in compass and GPS. And just in case hunting big woods, waypoint at the truck and dead deer as a just incase. Battery last's me well over 2 weeks, I dont connect it to my phone. Less important, but pedometer too, it's neat to see sometimes.

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
G-Shock DW-5600E here but I will probably move to the GW-M5610 IF this one ever takes a dump. It is amazing how often throughout the day I check time/date/day of the week and a watch is so much quicker than my phone. Also, in the field I much prefer to use the alarm on my watch vs. my phone for some reason.

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
One thing I do love about the Garmin smart watches and possibly others; a silent alarm.
It vibrates like mad on my wrist, this wakes me up faster and disturbs others less than a beeping alarm.

Well, what watch do you guys hunt with besides your phone?

Personally, I hate watches. However, when I'm hunting I refuse to bring anything electronic. My phone gets turned off and I barely allow myself to bring a headlamp and I'm only allowed to use it in extreme scenarios. Anyways, I've recently started using my phone for early morning alarms and I'd like to replace that with a watch to ensure I don't ever turn my phone on. Recommendations? I'd be willing to go with an electronic watch if I have to.

Cheapie throwaway $8.00 Walmart watch with the conventional 12-hour hands, and with a larger face that has good contrast, and preferably a fabric wrist strap.

TxxAgg

WKR
G-Shock DW-5600E here but I will probably move to the GW-M5610 IF this one ever takes a dump. It is amazing how often throughout the day I check time/date/day of the week and a watch is so much quicker than my phone. Also, in the field I much prefer to use the alarm on my watch vs. my phone for some reason.
I just bought this one:

G-Shock CASIO GW-M5610U-1CJF​

Loving it so far.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
Well, what watch do you guys hunt with besides your phone?

Personally, I hate watches. However, when I'm hunting I refuse to bring anything electronic. My phone gets turned off and I barely allow myself to bring a headlamp and I'm only allowed to use it in extreme scenarios. Anyways, I've recently started using my phone for early morning alarms and I'd like to replace that with a watch to ensure I don't ever turn my phone on. Recommendations? I'd be willing to go with an electronic watch if I have to.
I have a garmin instinct. Tough, has simpler features. What I love is it has compass, gps nav and sunrise, sunset times, baro, etc.

I like it and the battery lasts a long long time

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
If you want rugged and simple, go with a g shock. If you want to be fancy, get a Garmin. I have both. Got out of the habit of wearing my Garmin the last few months but it is nice to have it. Definitely more features than most people need.

TxxAgg

WKR
I'm convinced this is the best "cheap" watch out there. I have 2!

Casio W-736H-1AVCF​

landman650

Lil-Rokslider
I have a garmin Fenix that I’ve used for years and would recommend. I like the looks of the apple ultra more though and have upgraded to it. I’ll try it this year but I think the battery life will annoy me

406sparky

FNG
garmin fenix 6. can get them for pretty good discounted rate right now. not touch screen have to use buttons to navigate which is actually nice. alarm wakes me up every morning with a quiet tone and light vibration. 14 day battery if not tracking workouts etc. also has a built in gps mapping feature.

You guys consider the purchase of frikking hunting watches like you're considering the purchase of you're next pair of 12 cm Louboutin's. Unbelievable .....