I think I got hooked tonight

I have been looking for a piece of land that was supposedly public land all summer, but the spot where I thought it should be was posted. Finally, sat Saturday I stopped for a closer look, and that was my spot. On Friday I hiked in looking for some water that I thought I saw on the satellite map, but didn't find any, much less any sign that any elk were even in there. I went back this afternoon , mostly just to get outside, and started exploring. I found some water, si I hiked up the hill on the downwind side and tucked in behind a small cedar tree. About half an hour before sunset two bulls walked in and stood broadside at about 80 yards. Unfortunately I did not draw a permit for a bull in that unit, but it was so awesome to be that close to an elk. Now I'm just hoping there are some cows and calves in there somewhere.

I also noticed that the DNRC wired a fence post with public land signs on three sides of it in front of the no trespass sign.

Here are some of the things I saw and had to deal with when before I retired from the U.S. Forest Service. 1. private landowners posting "No Trespassing" signs on adjacent Forest land 2. Posting those same signs on roads with a public easement through private lands and 3. "Road Closed" signs either pulled and thrown away or posted on open roads.
You really need to have a good map and stop in at the Ranger Station to check on anything you have doubts on. I have stopped in and received a complete list of road closures. Otherwise you may inadvertently be driving down a closed road as the proper sign is gone, while some jerk is keeping you out of an area you want to hunt.

Back