Idaho 45 Muzzy Deer

Well I guess let the scouting game begin.

Wondering if there is anyone out there who has hunting this unit in the past that would share their experience?? It’s been awhile since I have hunted it. I am not looking for a monster but would enjoy seeing a few decent bucks and getting a few stalks in. It really is about the experience and seeing the country.

jmcd22

WKR
Congrats on the tag! That isn't an easy tag to draw for a non-resident. I haven't hunted 45 as it is all draw for deer but I can tell you that there is a lot of private there...especially in the upper part of the unit and around Bennett Mtn. My understanding of the unit is that it relies on migration from other units but I am sure there are a few locals that hang around all year. I have a buddy that has elk hunted there a few times and has said the animals are in areas you really wouldn't expected them to be in. I know this isn't much but hopefully it helps a little.

Pm me what you’re thinking. I’ve researched the unit but haven’t applied yet. My buddy has drawn it and a friend of a friend. I’ve talked with all the bios about it. My grandpa has been through the area for years.

I know the first place I’d be. But, by no means are you limited to a tiny part of the unit. Don’t plan on any migration and expect lowish numbers of resident deer in the unit during the muzzleloader season.

Well I guess let the scouting game begin.

Wondering if there is anyone out there who has hunting this unit in the past that would share their experience?? It’s been awhile since I have hunted it. I am not looking for a monster but would enjoy seeing a few decent bucks and getting a few stalks in. It really is about the experience and seeing the country.

There’s some kind of a migration pattern between units 44 and 45. I know you want to wrap your head around that before making plans. I don’t know much beyond that but that should be specific enough of a question to get a good answer from a biologist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s some kind of a migration pattern between units 44 and 45. I know you want to wrap your head around that before making plans. I don’t know much beyond that but that should be specific enough of a question to get a good answer from a biologist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The muzzie isn’t a migration hunt where it’s just the first two weeks of October. The rifle hunt is.

If you don't think bucks are moving into 45 from 44 in October I think you'd be wrong. I've spent a considerable amount of time in the unit and we saw bucks moving into 45 from 44 even during the early August bow hunt. Full on migration? Certainly not, but I think you stand to see plenty of deer heading that way by October. Many things influence the deer to head out of 44, weather, pressure from deer and elk hunters as well as wildfires if there are any.

Me personally, I'd hunt the sage country in the lower part of the unit or find public and access yes up on the 44 border near Fairfield. King Hill area as well.

OnX, a pickup truck, good glass....I'd be up there as often as possible just learning roads and access points this summer and early fall.

Best of luck!

OP
N
Thanks for your replies. Idahohiker, I’ll send you a PM with my ideas. I really do appreciate what has been written and I will try and start a post of my adventures

I’ve hunted it twice. You’ll be hunting local deer on that hunt. If you can’t pre-scout, give yourself lots of time to hunt. It’s a great tag with great potential. A lot of guys get discouraged as it can be an absolute grind.