Idaho Black Bear Tags Explained - NR

JSC2626

FNG
New to Rokslide and hunting outside of the SE US. Have decided to begin planning a black bear hunt in Idaho. I was originally planning on applying for a controlled hunt on Dec.1 of this year but started seeing reduced tags and what looks like general OTC tags. I have not been able to find a clear answer on forums or on the IDFG website so I wanted to ask before I get myself into a violation with game wardens. Am I able to just buy the reduced tag or OTC tag for bear as long as they are available for purchase on the IDFG website? If so, why would anyone apply for controlled hunts? Aren't the general OTC tags/reduced good for the entire year and multiple units? What does a controlled hunt offer that general does not for bear?

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

Because reduced tags are usually in wilderness areas with difficult access and tough country.
Gotcha. What about the general tags? Why apply for controlled if they are good for most units, all year, and you can buy them pretty much whenever? I guess I am concerned I am misunderstanding something in the tag system.

There's a few controlled tags that change the seasons a little bit. Up here in unit 1 where I'm at baiting and dogs are prohibited but there's a controlled tag that allows dogs in a certain part of the unit. There could be more like that in other parts of the state.

There's a few controlled tags that change the seasons a little bit. Up here in unit 1 where I'm at baiting and dogs are prohibited but there's a controlled tag that allows dogs in a certain part of the unit. There could be more like that in other parts of the state.
Okay that makes sense. So if someone is just interested in hunting bear spot'n'stalk and is not too picky on location, general is probably fine. If you want something a little more specific, say dogs in a specific time and place, controlled may be the only option.

Okay that makes sense. So if someone is just interested in hunting bear spot'n'stalk and is not too picky on location, general is probably fine. If you want something a little more specific, say dogs in a specific time and place, controlled may be the only option.
More than likely

Back