Idaho Elk hunting/ East side

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am from Minnesota and looking into an over the counter Elk tag for rifle, we were looking around the Salmon challis area, just curious if anyone in that area has a tip on a good unit to hunt where we could hike in 6 miles or so and not run into a multitude of other hunters, not looking for specific spots more so just a solid unit for over the counter, Something with more rugged terrain to deter the average hunter yet decent elk population would be ideal, and suggestions are much appreciated 👍

sasquatch

WKR
First problem to solve before all of that is getting the Tag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
E
First problem to solve before all of that is getting the Tag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Right.. That's kind of why we were looking at unit 27 as it is far less sought after just from it being such rugged terrain, but sounds like you're saying wherever I can get a tag is where I'll hunt?

You have to get into the room and hope for a good number. I got the shaft the last 2 years. It was easy before that.

Here is a genuine question. Why does every hunter and their brother from Minnesota and Wisconsin laser in on this general area? Is it discussed in some kind of secret society over there or something?

Also, don't underestimate the size of this country. There is very little game in a lot of that country and people have no idea how big it truly is.

Here is a genuine question. Why does every hunter and their brother from Minnesota and Wisconsin laser in on this general area? Is it discussed in some kind of secret society over there or something?

Also, don't underestimate the size of this country. There is very little game in a lot of that country and people have no idea how big it truly is.
I believe it is travel time to a state that was just a couple years ago otc.

OP
E

Well considering it is a 20 hour drive just to reach the east side... it's not like it's very easy to just jaunt on over to the west side.. and I don't know who you talk to from this area but everyone I know hunts Colorado. But hey thanks for the response. Super helpful to our planning of an Elk trip out west 👍

I love it when new guys come on and ask for honey holes. I would spend some time on OnX, take some scouting trips, or hire a guide. I hunt out of state every year and have never gone on a forum to ask where I should to to hunt. The frank church is a beast of an area and I spend a lot of time hunting there. Good luck and I wish you the best!

I love it when new guys come on and ask for honey holes. I would spend some time on OnX, take some scouting trips, or hire a guide. I hunt out of state every year and have never gone on a forum to ask where I should to to hunt. The frank church is a beast of an area and I spend a lot of time hunting there. Good luck and I wish you the best!
When I started hunting out of state the internet was not even a thing. Haha.

Well considering it is a 20 hour drive just to reach the east side... it's not like it's very easy to just jaunt on over to the west side.. and I don't know who you talk to from this area but everyone I know hunts Colorado. But hey thanks for the response. Super helpful to our planning of an Elk trip out west 👍
If you want something actually helpful here it is. Get in the nonres tag sale queue on 12/1 and come up with a priority number for every zone 1-20something. With the way the tag sale has gone the past few years you can't have just 3 or 5 top choices. By 4:00pm on December 1st, there will probably be tags left in three different zones and they will all be the ones nobody else wanted by the time they got their chance in line.

OP
E
If you want something actually helpful here it is. Get in the nonres tag sale queue on 12/1 and come up with a priority number for every zone 1-20something. With the way the tag sale has gone the past few years you can't have just 3 or 5 top choices. By 4:00pm on December 1st, there will probably be tags left in three different zones and they will all be the ones nobody else wanted by the time they got their chance in line.
Yes that is very helpful! Tips like these are great, appreciate it

elkguide

WKR
Welcome to the forum and good luck..... getting a tag and then finding someplace with few hunters and lots of elk.

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
Right.. That's kind of why we were looking at unit 27 as it is far less sought after just from it being such rugged terrain, but sounds like you're saying wherever I can get a tag is where I'll hunt?
27 is no joke in regards to terrain and access. Same can be said for both units on either side of 27, I have hunted all three of them. Are there roads, yes, but they may be far more rugged than what you consider a road back home and without a capable vehicle you will get in trouble quick. Some of these roads may gain elevation and save you some effort but consider there are motorized closures in affect in some of these areas impacting access. Same can be said for both units on either side. As already has been said, get a tag first. Looking for a guide/outfitter helps get you around the tag dilemma but provides very different experience I would imagine. Good luck

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to Rokslide. You should take an opportunity to look around a bit and you'll find this community is pretty awesome.

Now unfortunately we aren't letting FNG's (new guys) post up unit specific questions. Any unit question/answers remain out in the world wide webs forever, which can doom some really great spots.

Rokslide's administrations expectation is that all long standing Rokslide members will understand and support this concept and take all such conversations to private message.

Yes it's a hassle to join and be part of this community but the rewards are worth the effort including the ability to send and receive private messages.

Hope to see you active in the forums, and good luck on your hunt!

Status
Not open for further replies.