Idaho Elk Quality

It was extremely hard to turn up any bulls over 300" this year. Most of the bulls I saw this year were 5 points or small 6 points. Even during prime rut, these smaller bulls were with the cows. I have a few spots I hang trail cams and have large bulls consistently on camera over the past 5 years but again, only 5 points on camera. I only have one bull on camera that I would consider a big bull. Just wondering what everyone else saw this year in Idaho. Were you able to turn up big bulls? Or was your experience similar to mine?

Red33

FNG
This year was rough in northern Idaho also. I live and hunt in the panhandle. 19 elk, and this year was very hard- the second time I didn't tag out in archery in my life. We had 1 week of full rut-fest, and the rest of the time it was silent. Before anyone asks, I hunted in four different units a total of 26 days for archery and 4 days of rifle. Tons of predators and wayyy to many people nowadays.

Everyone I talk to sees 360-390 bulls in every unit in Idaho every year. For some reason they can't get them killed and the excuses come pouring in. I wonder why so many giants are seen every single year by the same guys but those bulls never get killed? Some of those bulls have to be over 20 years old by now.

idahodave

WKR
Not sure if that was directed at me or not, but here you go….

This is one from this year I couldn’t get on. He would have been dead if not for a rogue bobcat that spooked him about 5 steps too soon.

Attachments

• 00AB5254-854C-418D-997B-D3EB557ACEE3.jpeg
    00AB5254-854C-418D-997B-D3EB557ACEE3.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 171

idahodave

WKR
We see a handful of 300-320 bulls every year. It's exceedingly rare to see one break 320. I feel fortunate if we spot more than two a season....although it does happen. I saw a legit 350+ bull this year on opening morning that made my knees weak. He was on the move and already at 1,000+ yards so it wasn't to be. Next year....

Dave

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Year 44 in north Idaho lots of tiny bulls. The herd dynamic has changed in the last decade. Was out 15 days scouting and hunting saw one hunter, let little bulls walk and had two packs of wolves. A very high percentage of kills I’ve seen are 2-3 yr old bulls. A good number of cows but the mature bulls are lacking Big time in much of the north country. There are a few around of this quality but nothing like a decade ago. A lot fewer big rubs and antlers to be found these days In many drainages sadly.

Attachments

• IMG_2133.jpeg
    IMG_2133.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Idaboy

WKR
There's always a good bull to be found somewhere but many people exaggerate terribly. One friend of mine claims to pass 350 bulls every year OTC archery hunting because he wants a "big one".
Agree....People exaggerate and/or don't know how to field score.....I actually doubt many of us see a 350+ bull while hunting....yes we see big bulls, but doubt many seen are that big