Idaho panhandle elk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bdhuntin

FNG
Headed to the panhandle zone mid September for my first elk hunt. Have a few areas scouted out and wanted to ask anyone with unit 1 experience a few questions. If anyone has any info they’re willing to pass on to a newb, please PM me. Thanks
Brian

N Corey

FNG
Good luck on the hunt. Getting info from guys for an otc elk area where numbers aren’t great already because of wolfs is going to be tough. Be prepared for thick brush and steep hills.

Good luck on the hunt. Getting info from guys for an otc elk area where numbers aren’t great already because of wolfs is going to be tough. Be prepared for thick brush and steep hills.
in the panhandle when you get into the area that seems like it's too steep or thick for anything to live, you're probably close to some elk.

Brian

WKR
Bring along a wolf tag or two and be cautious of grizzlies in unit 1.

OP
B

Bdhuntin

FNG
Yeah I’ve talked to a few folks about the grizzlies and wolves and cougars oh my.... I’m more looking for a realistic idea of elk numbers and hunter density’s during archery. I was up there during the summer and was able to put my eyes on some of the stuff that I had escouted. I feel like I have a pretty good handle on what the country looks like based on my scouting, just don’t know about the actual hunting. Again anybody with some experience in this country that could kind of validate what I’m thinking about would be great. This is our first ever elk hunt. I’ve been through the elk 101 UEH, I have ElkNut’s app, and have been doing a ton of research but it’s difficult being so far away.
Thanks again

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Having hunted north Idaho since 1980 I can say this not what It was 10 years ago. Some drainages will hold good numbers of elk others it will be very difficult. Wolves have taken a toll and last winter took some big bulls down. Unit 1 holds some great bulls but with the numbers not being great and wolves compounding the issue I would not be too selective if an opportunity is presented. Find uphill pockets with no roads on top and you won’t have a ton of competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.