Idaho Spring Bear Video

Geewhiz

WKR
Right in the side of the head? Cant imagine that's where he aimed? My guess is it would have been over the back into neverland if the bear hadnt lifted his head 0.5 seconds before the shot.

Unless I'm seeing things.

Last edited:
Right in the side of the head? Cant imagine that's where he aimed? My guess is it would have been over the back into neverland if the bear hadnt lifted his head 0.5 seconds before the shot.

I wonder what the euro mount looks like

Play it back at .25 speed. Yes, you're correct, seems to have hit it in the head (you can see the ear move from the shot). Who cares though, it's dead.

Geewhiz

WKR
Play it back at .25 speed. Yes, you're correct, seems to have hit it in the head (you can see the ear move from the shot). Who cares though, it's dead.
I dont want to be one acting all rightous b/c everybody makes less than ideal shots from time to time, including me. All I'm saying is If that happened to me I cant say I would be bragging it all over the inter webs.

But yeah, I agree, quick kill on what appears to be a beautiful bear in some awesome country. Congrats to the hunter!

To me, it looked like he missed way high on the first opportunity. Then, missed high from the chest cavity and happened to hit the bear in the head. The shooter's reaction seemed to be one of surprise. It didn't seem like he intentionally did that.

Congrats on a successful trip anyhow.

OP
TetonRecon

TetonRecon

Lil-Rokslider

You're absolutely right. He hit it right in the ear. In one ear, out the other. If he hadn't raised his head at that exact moment it would have been a miss. There was no previous shot, that was his first attempt. My buddy who took this bear isn't a hunter like us, he's a farmer and an amazing mechanic. He doesn't have the time to hunt in the fall because of his work. It's all we can do to pull him away for a few days in the spring to hang out with us. I'm not making excuses for him, I'm just saying the guy isn't a shooter, but he connected that time and I'm pretty happy for him so I don't have any issues showing everyone. Lucky or not, it's a cool kill shot, right?

Geewhiz

WKR
You're absolutely right. He hit it right in the ear. In one ear, out the other. If he hadn't raised his head at that exact moment it would have been a miss. There was no previous shot, that was his first attempt. My buddy who took this bear isn't a hunter like us, he's a farmer and an amazing mechanic. He doesn't have the time to hunt in the fall because of his work. It's all we can do to pull him away for a few days in the spring to hang out with us. I'm not making excuses for him, I'm just saying the guy isn't a shooter, but he connected that time and I'm pretty happy for him so I don't have any issues showing everyone. Lucky or not, it's a cool kill shot, right?
Cool kill shot, nice filming. Looks like everybody had fun and maybe got some summer sausage out of the deal. 🤙

DaleW

WKR
Great video and hunt man thanks for sharing.

On bears I say dial and send it. They're a predator after all. But if you do end up taking him for deer or (especially) elk he may want to spend some time on the range or just keep it within a modest distance. Several of the bulls I've killed have had cows and calves standing right next to them where a bad miss would result in my hunt being over and a call to the game warden. Just something to keep in mind. Not trying to be preachy, I've just seen some stuff go terribly wrong when someone shoots farther than they're comfortable with.

MHWASH

WKR
Good video of what looked like a fun hunt with some great friends. I'm glad you changed the title of the video, I took it as you were giving credit to a great shot, that in all reality was just a lot of luck. Which could happen to any of us.

OP
TetonRecon

TetonRecon

Lil-Rokslider
Good video of what looked like a fun hunt with some great friends. I'm glad you changed the title of the video, I took it as you were giving credit to a great shot, that in all reality was just a lot of luck. Which could happen to any of us.
Yeah...that definitely wasn't my intention. I just threw it in as a catchy title to the thread because "Idaho Spring Bear Hunt" is so overused and often gets overlooked. That was my mistake. As cool as it is to anchor a bear on the spot, I don't ever recommend or personally attempt headshots. Every time I post a video I open myself up to criticism and critique. Some from honest good dudes who know and have experienced more than me, most times from dudes who occasionally venture out of their living room a couple times a year. None of that bothers me. I film and post most of my successful hunts publicly on YouTube for a couple reasons. First and foremost so that I can look back and remember the good times, second for my children and family, and third because I love sharing with likeminded folks like yourself. I'm not sponsored, monetized, or ever want to be. I just do it because it love it. Thanks for watching!