Idahoans do not like out-of-state hunters

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
I had quite the experience the last couple of days. To preface this I was an Idaho resident for several years. I hunted the same area for elk for two years, this being my third but with a catch. I had to move out of state for a job opportunity.

Let me tell you, people treat you completely differently if you have plates on your vehicle other than Idaho near hunting grounds. I did a lot of leg work learning this area prior to my first two years and when I elk hunted there I rarely saw other people. But when I did you could have a pleasant conversation with each other and I met a lot of really cool people.

I had to move out of state because I was presented with a job opportunity and it was very hard leaving Idaho as I greatly appreciated the area I was living. But I did not want to give up on hunting with my best friend and the godfather of my child. I knew that being an out-of-state hunter would pose its challenges but I am very respectful when it comes to hunting.

If I see a vehicle down a road that I want to hunt, I will try and stay clear of that area, even if I know there are MANY other points that I could hunt from out of respect. If I have to drive by a parked vehicle that someone may be hunting near I drive slowly so I don't spook anything if there on an elk. These are just a few of my many rules because I want everyone to enjoy there time out there.

I went on a short elk hunting trip that I and my buddy had been planning since the last trip. When driving if I see people I stop and say hi or just wave if they look busy. I had a couple of incidents where I pulled to the side to let the oncoming car go past me on a trail and several stopped and just stared at me. I would say hi and ask how there doing and most of them wouldn't even give me the time of day and if they did they would make a bizarre comment on out of state hunters which I would just laugh and leave.

Today I was leaving a trail and I had a guy rip and roaring on a 4-wheeler, most likely scaring all the elk away, flip me off.

I am surprised why people even waste their time hunting if they are so mad about out-of-staters coming in. I get it, it's packed and a lot of hunters in general suck at being respectful.

I would argue it's the people described above that are truly ruining this amazing activity. There the ones who leave the garbage everywhere and make the people who for years have let people hunt their lands stop. These are the people who do more talking about how people are ruining the sport while doing nothing themselves to help fund groups that protect hunting or at least protect their lands.

I doubt anyone on here would do this, but if you would. Maybe you should become part of the solution instead of contributing to another problem that this will create.

I really don't want to hunt Idaho anymore because I really don't want to come back to my vehicle's tires slashed, or deal with confrontations all of the time. I can handle my own but I go out there to get away from society's issues not to continue in them.

I will continue to hunt in Idaho because my best friend is there. But I don't see this problem getting any better.

Nobody likes non resident hunters. They can be assholes as well…i have had multiple interaction with them and all but 1 time they were dicks. 🤷🏻‍♂️ The one time they weren’t dicks it was a couple old retired dudes who were out there to get away from their wives.

So you just stop next to random peope to say hi? Why? Thats weird

Just because people dont give you a hug or kiss your ass, doesnt mean they "are truly ruining this amazing activity" christ you sound fragile, i get grumpy if I see a local boy in the canyons I hunt lol

You are hunting...not driving around the woods looking for new friends

Dare I ask what state your plate has on it?

OP
Kleos

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider

Just because people dont give you a hug or kiss your ass, doesnt mean they "are truly ruining this amazing activity" christ you sound fragile, i get grumpy if I see a local boy in the canyons I hunt lol

Maybe I worded it poorly, but no I am not just driving by people and trying to talk to them.

It's when I am driving down a dirt road that will not fit two vehicles going opposite directions so I pull to the side so that they can pass. They stopped next to me, so I rolled down my window.

I don't like hugs and especially don't need smelly dudes kissing me lol.

Maybe my post was poor in taste and a terrible attempt at venting.

OP
Kleos

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
For a 50% reduction in assholism, scam some old ID plates and screw 'em in.

75% requires the addition of a neck tattoo and some drive-bys ...

Don't get me started on 100% ....
I do still have my old Idaho plates from just a couple of months ago haha.

Marble

WKR
The few residents I have ran in to while archery elk hunting in Idaho were pissed they had to leave trail to hear a bugle. I imagine the hard hunting residents in the area I was in were already off trail. Therefore, I didn't see them while I was packing meat out.

I have just as much right to be there as any other tag holder. If a resident doesn't like it, then they need to grow up and stop blaming their lack of success on NR and look in the mirror.

Im friendly to everyone too, but I don't get all bent up if someone isn't friendly back.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

DaleW

WKR

You seem like a real Idahoan 😂

cmahoney

WKR
I wear this shirt when I hunt Idaho

0be0b4bad05deb17a0b27f50b7354f84.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go_deep

WKR
A couple years ago my cousin drew a Wyoming antelope license, he's a NR. He insisted on driving the first day we hunted, he had out of state tags, we drove my truck the next day. I couldn't believe how we got treated, totally different the next day with Wyoming tags on the truck.

First off, you didn't have to take the job, you chose to. Wording it like that makes you sound like a victim or something.

I've never hunted Idaho, but the only negative interactions I've had from MO, CO, NE, MT, and WY were from ranchers/landowners thinking they could run me off state or BLM. Quite the contrary, everyone I've met has been nice. One time I killed a bull and a complete stranger invited me to her cabin where she arranged for her daughter and son-in-law to help me pack him out (just a short distance to a UTV, but still).
Sorry you had a bad experience, obviously not your fault. I always tell myself that hurt people hurt people...meaning when people are dicks, it says a lot more about them than it does about you.

A lot of them actually are non Idahoans that do this shit and moved here in the last few years. Others are jealous that non residents hunt their asses off and shoot more animals than they do. Had one guy tell me last year that I was a dumbass for parking at a gate and hiking 2.5 miles in to kill a 145” white tail. Been hunting the same spot since I started working in Idaho in 2017 and found his trail camera on a road last year on my way out with the boned out buck in my pack 😂

If you ain’t double fisting Busch light or keystone on an atv and utv and road hunting everyday, you’re doing it wrong according to some people’s standards.

ChrisS

WKR
I hunted deer in Idaho a couple of years ago outside of Boise with a friend. We were basically out there visiting his family and wedged a deer hunt in there despite knowing that the hills outside of Boise get a lot of pressure. We "found" one spot to hunt (it is very much not a secret, just an access point off a highway) about an hour or so away and met an older fella in the parking area rigging up his horses to go up the trail and hunt the other drainage. I just went up to him and asked him if he would have enough room to get his trailer out of there if we left our truck there. He was super nice and gave us a ton of info. My buddy killed a deer up there and I found a matched set of 5pt elk sheds about two feet away from each other.