If you’re goal was to harvest an Antelope if every state that allows non-resident hunting what would be your strategy?

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted, long time lurker though, this isn’t a “what unit” type of post but more of a strategy question to you wise men who’ve been there more than I have.

I’ve harvested in Wyoming and Colorado. I love pronghorn, and one of my bucket list goals is to harvest a buck in every western state that allows me, Colorado resident btw.

I’ve got plenty of points already in Utah, Montana, and South Dakota. Just haven’t lined it up yet with schedule, I’ve got young kids being the reason. I know Arizona, Nevada and California are the pipe dreams and will take at least 15 years. I put in every year for a Hail Mary in New Mexico but no success yet. Have any of y’all done this before? How would you go about prioritizing points? Is it even worth it with how tough California is?

How’s Oregon and eastern Washington? I know Idaho is tough and random(i think?) for non-residents. Am I overlooking any states?

Is this goal even worth it considering California or am I overrating how hard it is to draw there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would try to get any state that draws first. Plan the trip and have any OTC states in the back pocket. Tag out early and head to the OTC.

Tmac

WKR
OR is tough for NR’s. Do you bow or muzzleloader hunt? Can really help odds. But a tag is doable with time and $$$ for points.

For WA the Rez near Yakima has established a small herd. No hunts yet as far as I know, if they do odds are it is tribal only. Who knows in a decade or two.

Fowl Play

WKR
California is basically at max points already to even get into single digit odds with archery … with creep it would probably be a once in a lifetime draw. By then you’d be in the hole over $6k in just license fees to apply. If you really want it that bad, go for it, but you are not underestimating how long it would take.

You’ll draw MT before long. MT manages for “opportunity”.

ID isn’t too bad, but you have to buy the hunting license for a chance in a random draw. You might as well put in for elk and mule deer too.

Can’t help you with AZ or NM. You need time and luck.

You have a cool goal, good luck.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Pray, a lot. And look for private land hunts (unless you want to accomplish it on public land, which is commendable) , especially in Texas. That might be one of the more difficult to draw states a public land tag.

I think Oklahoma has an antelope season as well, but not sure how it works.

Last edited:

saltfork

Lil-Rokslider
You'll probably have to look at landowner tags in New Mexico, since drawing odds are so tough. Arizona is same way. There's always governor tags if you want to go that route

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
What weapons are options? All?

Idaho is easy to get archery tag, but verrrry long odds to draw a rifle tag.

IdahoBeav

WKR
Oregon raffle and Premium series hunts and the Idaho Super Hunt raffle are some long shot opportunities to get tags.

Alder_

Lil-Rokslider
I recommend getting your bow out, and becoming proficient with it.
Apply for tags with lower draw odds that are likely archery hunts in units with either a lot of private land or lack of speed goats.
Do your homework, call bios, look for harvest stats, and send your money in.

OP
B
California is basically at max points already to even get into single digit odds with archery … with creep it would probably be a once in a lifetime draw. By then you’d be in the hole over $6k in just license fees to apply. If you really want it that bad, go for it, but you are not underestimating how long it would take.

Sheesh, I knew it was rough but seeing 6k being racked up for Antelope makes me wants to abandon that State. That’s pretty terrible, I’ll have to think on that for a while

OP
B
What weapons are options? All?

Idaho is easy to get archery tag, but verrrry long odds to draw a rifle tag.

Archery definitely on the table, I don’t have a muzzleloader yet but would like to get one at some point.

wytx

WKR
I did 4 states in one year; Wyoming, Colorado, NM and Texas.
Had to draw Wy and NM, CO was RFW and TX was an unguided hunt with a tag and trespass access- not easy to find these days in Texas.

Good luck , I had a blast.

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
I have similar goals to you but want to stick with the rifle or muzzleloader. I’ve taken a lope in Montana so far. From my research archery does open up some more options for you. Nebraska, Kansas, and Oklahoma are all good options with the bow with easier to get tags. Avoid Oregon and California. And pray for New Mexico and Arizona