I'm torn on getting a new Kifaru day pack. Currently using E&E...

Logan80

Lil-Rokslider
I don't currently backpack hunt, maybe someday. As of now, I camp out of a basecamp and come back every day. I use an Escape & Evade as my day pack and it works well, but it's just about 50% too small.

I've been looking at Kifaru packs and the closest current offering I can find is the Urban Ruck, which lead me to discover the Urban Zippy. The Zippy looks great, It's a bit bigger than the E&E, good access through the sides, and it's still really compact. The Ruck would be good, but the access kind of looks like it's not the best, top access only.

Ideally I'd have an Urban Ruck (I like the top flap) with a front opening like the X-Ray has, and with 4 compression straps built in like the E&E.

Does anyone out there have the E&E and the Urban Ruck or Zippy? Mind posting comparison information or pictures?

Joshs74

FNG
I don’t have an E&E to compare, but I used a Zippy for work for about 6 months. I travel overnight so it was always full of a change of clothes, glasses, shaving kit, iPad, necessary safety gear, and more junk. I set it on the floor of a locomotive each day. It works really good, nice pack and you can really stuff a bunch in there. Side access pockets were handy as well as the webbing in the front. For what that’s worth, I hope it helps.

TravisIN

WKR
I carry an urban ruck daily. It’s a great bag. I like the flip top just bc sometimes I really stuff it full and I don’t have to try and zip it. For instance when I go to the gym before work in the winter time I have to pack a lot of extra, bulky, clothes for work. The snow collar gives me the extra room and just having to buckle it makes it better. I had the organizer slider in it but switched to the pals one simply bc the pals one has a kydex(? Not sure it’s kydex but something like that) frame in it that keeps the bag from doubling over when it’s on a table or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith5579

FNG
I've got the E&E (which I agree is 50% too small) and an X-ray. The X-ray is twice as large as the E&E and it has two access points which I really like. It's near perfect for my use.

OP
Logan80

Logan80

Lil-Rokslider
I like the thought of the X-Ray, but it almost seems a bit big in pics I've seen. I like the idea of a "mini" backpack. The E&E carries great, I just can't fit all my crap in it lol.

Can i ask why your not interested in a frame and bag?
Seems like your just going to waste more money to end up there.
How are you packing meat? Inside your bag?

I refuse to hunt for even an hour without a setup that will pack meat on the way out. It is just so much more efficient.

OP
Logan80

Logan80

Lil-Rokslider
I have a frame and bag plus a cargo panel already. I hunt without it because it's a pain in the ass to wear here in the PNW forests. The brush and forest is so thick that it snags on everything and gets in the way. I also wear my handgun on a belt and that makes wearing the pack with a belt difficult.

I don't hunt far from my camp. It won't take me long to get back and swap packs to the frame and cargo panel as needed.

I have a frame and bag plus a cargo panel already. I hunt without it because it's a pain in the ass to wear here in the PNW forests. The brush and forest is so thick that it snags on everything and gets in the way. I also wear my handgun on a belt and that makes wearing the pack with a belt difficult.

I don't hunt far from my camp. It won't take me long to get back and swap packs to the frame and cargo panel as needed.
What about the shape charge?

OP
Logan80

Logan80

Lil-Rokslider
I've considered the Shape Charge as well as the Antero. Both look similar to what I'm after. I suppose it's just too hard to choose!

Shape charge looks slick.
Streamlined.
U shaped main zipper.
Some storage in the lid.
Could probably cross the straps to carry a gun,bow.
Stretchy pockets on the side for tp and water bottle.

If I was looking for something simply cheaper I'd probably just get a Rush series tactical pack

Another recommendation for the Shape Charge. I picked one up a few weeks ago and it’s been great. I’m in Mexico right now and I packed everything I need for a week in it, I did strap two pairs of flip flops on the outside, I probably could have stuck a couple more shirts in there if I needed. It was small enough to fit in the overhead storage on the plane. I’ll definitely be using it for day hunts this fall, I’ve got no doubt it’ll handle a boned out blacktail. I’m sure if I wanted to go ultralight on a scouting trip in the summer I could get everything I needed into it.

NoWiser

WKR
I was looking at the urban zippy for quite a while. I ended up with a SG Avail and am very happy with it. I’ve had it for a couple years now and it works great for my purposes, which range from a day pack, to a mushroom hunting pack, to beach fishing, to carry on, and even a diaper bag.

Layrk15

FNG
I dont know much about the day packs you guys are talking about, but this past fall I used the mystery ranch pop-up 28 and it performed awesome! Perfect size for a day pack with the capability of popping up the frame if need be to pack meat out!

wesfromky

WKR
You might look at a lumbar pack - they are going to do a run of them "soon". The hellcat, or even better, scout, sound like possibilities. I find they just carry better in thick stuff.

I have an E&E, which I just use as a vehicle bag, Antero which is my edc for work, though it hasn't seen much use this year since I am remote now. A tailgunner - which I love and use for scouting, running cameras, small game and early season hunting. And a 22" frame with a stryker for when I saddle hunt and might need to pack out a deer.

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
A Kifaru scout would be a really good option for small day pack that really disapears on your back, my buddy just picked one up and I can totally understand how so many guys like them.

OP
Logan80

Logan80

Lil-Rokslider
I've pretty much decided that I want an Urban Zippy. The lumbar packs are neat, but I wear a gun belt and also ride in on a mountain bike. So having a pack that sits higher is better for me, and more comfortable.

Now to find an Urban Zippy in multicam....

I've pretty much decided that I want an Urban Zippy. The lumbar packs are neat, but I wear a gun belt and also ride in on a mountain bike. So having a pack that sits higher is better for me, and more comfortable.

Now to find an Urban Zippy in multicam....
Late to the game here but do you have any idea why Kifaru stopped making the zippy? I had my eye on one for a while, then went to purchase it and found out they are gone.

tdhanses

WKR
If you just want a simple backpack why not expand to other manufacturers? I know Kuiu isn’t high on most Kifaru lists but the divide is setup pretty nice.

I like Kuiu rainwear and have some. Good company. I have several Sitka packs and am not super impressed but I haven't looked at Kuiu. I will check it out. Thanks for help.

huntem

FNG
Disclaimer: I typically carry too much shit.

Having had a E&E, Door Gunner, Urban Ruck in my hands, I find them "small". Yes, I've stated the obvious but the top load on 2 of 3 doesn't help the usage for me. Personally, I run the shape charge and couldn't be more pleased with the pack. It is slightly taller than the x-ray but the horse shoe zip is a win for me.