Initial Ascent IA8K - info needed

Wolfxx5

FNG
I know it is one of their new releases, but does anyone have any experience with the IA8K? I'm in the market for a new pack, currently have a Kifaru, and not to say I'm not happy but I also love gear.

It seems they are not as popular but everything I have seen so far, seems good.

maxx075

FNG
I just bought their IA5K at the hunting expo. Love it from what I tried it there (with walking around with 150lbs on).

Granted that this is my first framed pack, their bags suited me better with the side pockets, lid, etc.

OP
Wolfxx5

Wolfxx5

FNG
I just bought their IA5K at the hunting expo. Love it from what I tried it there (with walking around with 150lbs on).

Granted that this is my first framed pack, their bags suited me better with the side pockets, lid, etc.
Good to know. I have heard that they carry heavy loads quite well. One thing that sucks being in Alaska is that you miss out on the big expos and what nots. Haha

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I messed with it at the expo looks like they incorporated some user feed back to stream line the bag and lid design

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

deadend88

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 5k and 8k being delivered tomorrow. I ran the 6k last year. I ran Kifaru for 10 years before the switch last year. I’m intrigued by the ARK but after the extreme comfort after switching over in my hips, decided to grab the newer IA bags. I love the IA frame and it just fits me better than previous iterations of the Kifaru frames. That said, most of my issues are potentially age related now. Kifaru is an amazing company and I still love what they are about but I’d say you can’t go wrong with IA and I’m extremely happy to have given them a chance.

OP
Wolfxx5

Wolfxx5

FNG
I have the 5k and 8k being delivered tomorrow. I ran the 6k last year. I ran Kifaru for 10 years before the switch last year. I’m intrigued by the ARK but after the extreme comfort after switching over in my hips, decided to grab the newer IA bags. I love the IA frame and it just fits me better than previous iterations of the Kifaru frames. That said, most of my issues are potentially age related now. Kifaru is an amazing company and I still love what they are about but I’d say you can’t go wrong with IA and I’m extremely happy to have given them a chance.
Appreciate the feedback. I was intrigued by the ARK frame a bit but I’m content with the duplex tactical as far as kifaru goes. Sort of going back and forth between the K4 7200 and the IA8K. They seem to both be really similar from what I can tell without ever getting my hands on the IA. My buddy has the K4. Just wish someone up here had one or sold them somewhere so I could give it a test. Crappy thing is I just moved out of Boise last year but hadn’t ever even heard of them haha

deadend88

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the feedback. I was intrigued by the ARK frame a bit but I’m content with the duplex tactical as far as kifaru goes. Sort of going back and forth between the K4 7200 and the IA8K. They seem to both be really similar from what I can tell without ever getting my hands on the IA. My buddy has the K4. Just wish someone up here had one or sold them somewhere so I could give it a test. Crappy thing is I just moved out of Boise last year but hadn’t ever even heard of them haha
One thing that’s pretty sweet about them is the CS, just call Joe or Dennis and they’d be happy to answer any questions you might have. I’d be willing to bet if they know of someone in your area with a pack they’d put you in touch.

deadend88

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s photos of the updated 8k and 5k. I ordered an additional frame so my wife can run my old one with the 6k. I don’t know about the “harmonization” with Wolf grey but the addition of roll top and new front stretch pockets seals the deal for me.

Attachments

• IMG_6466.jpeg
    IMG_6466.jpeg
    471.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_6467.jpeg
    IMG_6467.jpeg
    456.1 KB · Views: 75
OP
Wolfxx5

Wolfxx5

FNG
Here’s photos of the updated 8k and 5k. I ordered an additional frame so my wife can run my old one with the 6k. I don’t know about the “harmonization” with Wolf grey but the addition of roll top and new front stretch pockets seals the deal for me.
As far as the harmonization goes, I don't think I mind it a ton. I definitely do like the stretch pocket and the roll top. I would also go with the OD green option. If you get out any time soon with that 8K let me know your thoughts on it if you don't mind.

I'll probably end up giving Joe or Dennis call and see if we can't work something out.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I tried the K4, the new ARK frame and this Initial Ascent frame out at Western Hunt Expo. The Initial ascent with 50 lbs in it literally felt like 30 lbs. It was just ridiculously comfortable. The K4 was also comfortable and has a good layout but after speaking to Dennis at IA yesterday I'm going to order the IA pack.

maxx075

FNG
I will say that the customer service/reps at IA are absolutely top notch. I went to the Expo Friday and with the help of the folks there, tried on their packs and talked to them about the things I liked about the bags. Didn't buy anything then, just stewed on it. Went back Saturday and tried on a couple other companies and ended up back at the IA booth. Reps that I didn't even talk to Friday remembered me and talked to me about the gear. Ended up buying the 5k and Von, the guy that initially had helped me remembered exactly my size/fittings and rigged up my new bag/frame perfectly. While we were doing that, Joe, one of the owners came up and talked to me like we were old buddies.

Can't recommend the guys over at IA enough.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
I tried the K4, the new ARK frame and this Initial Ascent frame out at Western Hunt Expo. The Initial ascent with 50 lbs in it literally felt like 30 lbs. It was just ridiculously comfortable. The K4 was also comfortable and has a good layout but after speaking to Dennis at IA yesterday I'm going to order the IA pack.

So the ARK was the worst of the three?

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So the ARK was the worst of the three?

Don't get me wrong, I love my duplex lite + fulcrum pack... but the ARK was terrible *for me*. It was bad enough I think the kid helping me just had no idea how to adjust the pack / frame correctly as it arched my back and pulled my shoulders back.

I'm buying the IA, even considering I could get better discounts on the other two options.

Honestly I'll end up with a K4 also, as an extra / loaner pack. The bag design is killer and I'm a gear whore.

OP
Wolfxx5

Wolfxx5

FNG

In case anybody is still interested on a bit more information on IA and their packs. Enjoy!

I have the K4 and love it, but also a gear whore and am kinda interested in trying a 5000 IA pack as I do like the new bag designs. You said the IA felt like 30lbs and the exo felt comfortable as well. So, are you saying the comfort edge with 50 lbs went to IA?

I bought an AI as well. They stood out as my favorite at the show packing around weight and great guys to deal with. Plus Ken^^^ said I looked cute in it so that sealed the deal.