Input of hunting gear

Badseed

WKR
I hunt a wide variety of terrain and most of the time it is hot 80-110 degrees. The areas I hunt range from rocks and brush to open grass with a ton of little stickers that bind to any fibrous fabric you are wearing. I am looking at buying some first lite gear because the colors match my area great and they area both designed for higher temps but I am concerned about the fabric collecting millions of those little stickers and quickly piling up. Does anyone have experience using the obsidian or corrugate pants in areas with stickers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdroot89

Lil-Rokslider
My experience is that the obsidian pants get a lot of stickers. I would stay away from them in the area you described.

For stickers, burrs, thorns vs clothing:

Corrugate pants = never

Carhartt Rigby Flex w/double front = yes

FL Guide Lite Pant = maybe, but thin material weight and mild noise

Last edited:
OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
I don’t expect the pants to be burr free so is the FL material acceptable or just a flat out no way for stickers and burrs. I have some older badlands pants and kryptek pants that are acceptable for burrs and I am trying to determine how the FL gear compares.

I have all of the pants mentioned. My summaries are as follows:

>Corrugate pants are 10 of 10 for comfort/fit, light, mobility, moisture management. For thorny country they're very soft and would snag easy, would not last long.

>Carhartt Rigby Flex are 10 of 10 for tough and comfort. Would be warm but doable above 80F. Have yet to know a better do-it-all pant.

>FL Guide Lite pants are similar fit and weight as Prana Zion, but 2X cost. Prana Zion material is soft, similar but lighter weight than Corrugate. If you got money to burn, Guide Lite might be your answer if 90F+. My score is a 5 of 10 for value, FWIW.

Without knowing what you actually contend with, and if a little protection and noise is worth it, check out NiteLite nylon slip over chaps. They weigh a couple ounces per leg, pack tiny, tough.

Last edited:
OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
Well thats not ideal. Can anyone comment on the burr catching ability of kuiu pants vs first lite?

As far as non camo hunting pants go My vote goes to 5.11 tactical stryke pants. Their pants are top notch especially for the price. Durable, water resistant, breathable, and very comfortable. Plus they have a ton of pockets.

Hondo

WKR
I hunt some in similar conditions and also own Obsidian & Corrugate pants. If most the burrs are at knee level or below you could go with Obsidians tucked into snake boots or wear with gaiters and pray that you don't ruin some expensive britches. Both of those options are also hot but only from the knee down vs your whole lower being hot with the Corrugates which I try to avoid wearing in 80+ temps. I don't have the Sawbucks but FL states they are based on the Corrugate with added nylon panels so I would assume they wouldn't be any cooler.

I've worn various upland/brush pants from Wrangler, LL Bean and Carhartt in these conditions and most are uncomfortably hot and not that much fun to walk in although they do a pretty good job of avoiding hitchhikers as well as protect your legs. The Patagonia Field Pants are the most comfortable nylon faced panel pants that I have worn in those conditions but they aren't as tough as some of the other upland options and are also hard to find. I was excited to see Eddie Bauer add the Guide Pro Work pants in their lineup with nylon faced panels but it doesn't look like the reinforced panels extend far enough down the leg to be effective for this purpose.

I would agree with Rokslider member Hill Difficulty on the Guide Lite vs Prana Zion thing. A similar argument could be made for the Wrangler ATG/Outdoor options although they are of lesser quality than the Prana's. Looking at this from a cost-benefit approach and accepting that sometimes gear sacrifices must be made I would pair a First Lite Wick top with my most beat up Wrangler or Prana Zions (with or without snake boots, gaiters) and save the Obsidians for more suitable adventures.

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
Based on this type of input I may just opt for the FL tops and use the 5.11 pants. Thanks