InReach Explorer+, InReach Mini, or Zoleo?

Loper

WKR
All three devices are on sale right now and I need to pick up a satellite communicator for a trip in the fall. I've done a fair amount of research on these and I'm trying to identify which one would be best for me. I'll be using my phone with OnX for maps and will have a battery backup for my phone, and maybe even a solar charger.

The InReach Mini is $300 at the moment. I've read a lot of good things about this device as it has what is needed without extra weight or unnecessary features. However, I've also read that some people have delays in sending or receiving messages, which is one of the main purposes of it. This option is the lightest at 3.5oz but also has the lowest battery life of the three at 50 hours

The Zoleo is $150 on sale right now. This is the new kid on the block, and like the Mini connects via Bluetooth to your phone for messaging. I haven't heard any negative reviews about this and aside from the initial purchase being cheaper, the rate plans are slightly better too. The battery life is the best at 200 hours and its weight is right in the middle of the two InReach options at 5.3oz. If activated before June, it comes a year of Gaia maps, but I don't know how beneficial this would be if I have OnX. At half the price of the Mini it seems like a great option, but if my phone ever dies, it becomes just an SOS device with no way to send or receive text messages.

The InReach Explorer+ is $350 currently. Is it best just to get higher end inReach with the GPS? Does the "Two is One, One is None" saying apply with these devices and its best to have a back up mapping device and a stand-alone communication tool if the phone craps out? Or does this have a lot of features, weight and cost that a person doesn't need.? The battery life is 100 hours on the default setting. It is the heaviest of all three at 7.5 oz.

I really don’t know which one I should get. The Zoleo is a great price and has the features I need, with the exception of not being able to text using the device itself, if my phone ever dies. However, I’m not sure if that will ever be an issue as I’ll be carrying a backup battery for my phone. In my opinion the Mini solves the one concern I have with the Zoleo and can still be used as a stand-alone texting device if my phone dies. Then I start thinking, hell, if I’m paying $300 for the Mini, why not just pay another $50 for the Explorer+ and have the backup GPS even though I likely will never use that feature unless my phone and backup battery both run our of juice. I haven't considered the Explorer SE, as it appears to have less features than the Explorer+ and isn't on sale.

What am I missing or failing to consider? What are your experiences with theses devices? Which device would you get, knowing what you know about them?

MThuntr

WKR
I've been using the InReach SE (Delorme pre Garmin for 6 or 7 years). It is finally on its last leg and I'm guessing the garmin support is "just buy a new one". Battery is now poor so it's basically a weekend thing if it's just for a couple days. My annual plan is $12 plus tax. The unlimited pre-sets is helpful and if I'm hunting I have a specific preset for "animal down" which should trigger some replies from a few local people.

I like the idea of the Zoleo but not a fan of it becoming just an emergency device if my phone dies which very well could happen due to my inability to remember to maintain phone battery. Also it looks like the plans are $20 with no unlimited presets so check-ins go against your plan amount. Sure it's free if there is cell and wifi but I can use my phone if I have those so what's the point!

I have had the mini and a SPOT X for work. The mini works great but is a pain without a phone but presets make for easy check-ins and messaging. The SPOTX has yet to be used...personally I had SPOT devices before and their satellite coverage seems lacking (all we could do is hope the check-in went through but this was like Version 2 or 3 of the SPOT).

Having a redundant GPS on the InReach SE+ seems nice as long as you feel it's necessary. I stopped carrying a stand alone GPS once I got a smartphone. GPS = reduced battery.

When comparing brands I'd say Garmin Inreach > Zoleo = SPOT X (Spot has freebies that Zoleo does not but my faith in spot is pretty low so they're equal)

JRMiller

WKR
I did the same debate and went with the Zoleo.
Reasons for me:
Weight vs battery life
Only $4 a month to put account on hold
If my phone breaks or is dead i can still send check in signals and SOS
Sheds some weight as your phone is the screen and your going to take your phone anyways
Have many friends in the backpacking world that have used these with no issues

OP
L

Loper

WKR
I've been using the InReach SE (Delorme pre Garmin for 6 or 7 years). It is finally on its last leg and I'm guessing the garmin support is "just buy a new one". Battery is now poor so it's basically a weekend thing if it's just for a couple days. My annual plan is $12 plus tax. The unlimited pre-sets is helpful and if I'm hunting I have a specific preset for "animal down" which should trigger some replies from a few local people.

I like the idea of the Zoleo but not a fan of it becoming just an emergency device if my phone dies which very well could happen due to my inability to remember to maintain phone battery. Also it looks like the plans are $20 with no unlimited presets so check-ins go against your plan amount. Sure it's free if there is cell and wifi but I can use my phone if I have those so what's the point!

I have had the mini and a SPOT X for work. The mini works great but is a pain without a phone but presets make for easy check-ins and messaging. The SPOTX has yet to be used...personally I had SPOT devices before and their satellite coverage seems lacking (all we could do is hope the check-in went through but this was like Version 2 or 3 of the SPOT).

Having a redundant GPS on the InReach SE+ seems nice as long as you feel it's necessary. I stopped carrying a stand alone GPS once I got a smartphone. GPS = reduced battery.

When comparing brands I'd say Garmin Inreach > Zoleo = SPOT X (Spot has freebies that Zoleo does not but my faith in spot is pretty low so they're equal)
Thanks so much for the insight.

When you say your annual plan only cost $12, are you referring to what it costs to maintain the plan when you aren’t enrolled in a monthly plan?

If your existing Delorme InReach was to die tomorrow and you had to get one of these three devices, which one would you get?

Vandy321

WKR
To clarify...the Zoleo does have unlimited presets/checkins with location on those included for $6...so even if phone dies, you can still send a checkin and location.

HuntnPack

WKR
I recently ordered the Zoleo, with hopes that they would add tracking capability.
And recently they added tracking & Breadcrumbs. 👍
I will get the Free 1 year Premium GAIA maps & well.

MartinD-35

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking real hard at the Zoleo due to flexibility and price point. It's also the only piece of gear that the wife has told me I have to get! lol

Vandy321

WKR
Another FYI on the InReach...If you get the freedom plan, you can cancel and or swap between plans for free. I had the basic safety plan for most of the summers, upgraded to expedition for 2 months of hunting, then turned it off for Dec-Feb, no charge to suspend. When you change plans, you're locked into that plan for 30 days, then you can suspend or change again.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
To clarify...the Zoleo does have unlimited presets/checkins with location on those included for $6...so even if phone dies, you can still send a checkin and location.
Good to know, as I wasn't aware of this. I was about to ask @JRMiller to clarify in his above post when he said "If my phone breaks or is dead i can still send check in signals and SOS"

MThuntr

WKR
Thanks so much for the insight.

When you say your annual plan only cost $12, are you referring to what it costs to maintain the plan when you aren’t enrolled in a monthly plan?

If your existing Delorme InReach was to die tomorrow and you had to get one of these three devices, which one would you get?
Oops I meant $12 a month...I have the annual plan vs the Freedom plan

Honestly I'd have to run the math for say 5 years of use to see where the math runs. Years ago I did the math between InReach vs Spot...at the time in less than 5 years the initial cost of the InReach negated the lower cost of the SPOT (which I believe was free on rebate)

I'd wager that the they are all a wash when you run the math.

Last edited:

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Eve though ounces leads to pounds, another benefit to consider with the Explorer+ is the longer battery life compared to the Mini. No idea on Zoleo.

I can get a week of hunting with my Explorer as long as I turn it off while I'm at camp or sleeping.

If ounces mattered or I only wanted to send text messages and have SOS, I'd go with the Mini or Zoleo.

Good luck,

Eddie

MartinD-35

Lil-Rokslider
Eve though ounces leads to pounds, another benefit to consider with the Explorer+ is the longer battery life compared to the Mini. No idea on Zoleo.

I can get a week of hunting with my Explorer as long as I turn it off while I'm at camp or sleeping.

If ounces mattered or I only wanted to send text messages and have SOS, I'd go with the Mini or Zoleo.

Good luck,

Eddie
The Zoleo claims 200 hours of battery life which makes sense in therory as it doesn’t have a display to suck up battery, but I do not know this in practice yet.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
The Zoleo claims 200 hours of battery life which makes sense in therory as it doesn’t have a display to suck up battery, but I do not know this in practice yet.
That is a lot of hours. The Mini says 50 IIRC. If Zoleo has a good rep like the Mini, that alone might be the reason to go with Zoleo.

Eddie

Muzzy48

FNG
Maybe to help the OP, myself, and ofhers...can anyone comment more on the suspension and cancellation of the Zoleo? It’s $20 to activate for a minimum of 3 months and $4/month to suspend after. If you cancel do you have to pay the $20 again plus have to purchase a plan for 3 months again or can you just get it for one month? I have an Inreach Explorer + and like it but was considering getting a Zoleo for my brother due to the intial price point. Like mtnhuntr said, they may all be close to the same but some more info on prices would help everyone run the numbers for the long run.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Maybe to help the OP, myself, and ofhers...can anyone comment more on the suspension and cancellation of the Zoleo? It’s $20 to activate for a minimum of 3 months and $4/month to suspend after. If you cancel do you have to pay the $20 again plus have to purchase a plan for 3 months again or can you just get it for one month? I have an Inreach Explorer + and like it but was considering getting a Zoleo for my brother due to the intial price point. Like mtnhuntr said, they may all be close to the same but some more info on prices would help everyone run the numbers for the long run.

I called Zoleo about this and I asked what happens if I don't care about keeping my same number/email associated with it and instead of paying the $4 a month, I just deactivated it. They said that I'd have to pay another activation fee the next time I wanted to use it.

They also pointed out that once you activate it, you have to pay for a monthly plan for 3 months. I asked if you were locked into one specific monthly plan for all three months and they said no. So if you wanted, you could have the unlimited plan for the first month at $50, and then the next two months, downgrade to the basic plan for $20 a month.

I haven't run the numbers yet to see if it is advantageous for me to just pay the $4 a month maintenance fee or deactivate for the months I'm not using it and then reactivate it. Most likely, its better to just pay the $4 a month.

Vandy321

WKR
FWIW, I ran the numbers compared to the same way I used Inreach on garmins freedom plan. Out of 12 months I have about 3 months inactive, 6-7 months on the basic plan (but still unlimited pre-sets)and 2 months on expedition/unlimited for hunting.

It's almost a wash in service fees if I use the zoleo the same way. I realize everyone uses them differently but that info is public on both ends and you can calculate it out for your own needs.

Vandy321

WKR
I like the idea of the Zoleo but not a fan of it becoming just an emergency device if my phone dies which very well could happen due to my inability to remember to maintain the phone battery. Also, it looks like the plans are $20 with no unlimited presets so check-ins go against your plan amount. Sure it's free if there is cell and wifi but I can use my phone if I have those so what's the point!
Unlimited presets plus unlimited tracking is $6/month...check the site

OP
L

Loper

WKR
FWIW, I ran the numbers compared to the same way I used Inreach on garmins freedom plan. Out of 12 months I have about 3 months inactive, 6-7 months on the basic plan (but still unlimited pre-sets)and 2 months on expedition/unlimited for hunting.

It's almost a wash in service fees if I use the zoleo the same way. I realize everyone uses them differently but that info is public on both ends and you can calculate it out for your own needs.

Yeah, I just ran the numbers for how I’d use the Zoleo and it’s pretty much a wash. May as well just pay the $4 a month, keep the same number/email and not have deal with deactivating and reactivating.