InReach to InReach messaging - super slow

Southeast

FNG
Anyone have experience sending messages between two InReach units? This will be the first year I'll need that (after using the InReach to contact exclusively cell phones for several years). My partner and I have been testing the system over the past couple days and the InReach to InReach messages take much longer (hours longer) than messages sent at the same time to cell phones (or even regular email addresses). Is this normal?

In my experience, inReach-to-inReach message times have been around 10-30 minutes. Two things I would suggest checking:
1) Message check interval on both devices, make sure it isn't set to a really long interval
2) Firmware version on both devices, update if necessary

muddydogs

WKR
I have found Inreach to Inreach about the same time as text messages. On SE+ and Explore+ units plus Delorme units the mail check time can be set to 10 minutes so if your not forcing a mail check on both ends it could take up to 20 minutes by the time your buddy gets the message 10 minutes after you send it then it takes 10 minutes for you to get your notification of his reply. With the Mini and 66i units there mail check time is 1 hour unless your actively tracking then it checks for mail at your set track interval time which is usually 10 minutes.
I run the Mini so if i'm hunting with someone also using an Inreach and I know they might contact me during a certain time frame I will force a mail check every 30 minutes or so, if I'm actively communicating with someone I will force the mail check every few minutes.

MTarrowflinger

Lil-Rokslider
Tested an explorer to a Montana 700i and sent/received within minutes.

I think the others are right - check the mail check frequency setting.

muddydogs

WKR
How do you do in reach to in reach?

It's basically an email to email using your Garmin email address, your email [email protected]. Check your explore.garmin.com account or Inreach unit owner info for yours. Your email handle should be the email address you used to sign up with.

Just in case you want to try it or are about to ask. No you can not send an email from your computer or phone to your Inreach email address, it only works for Inreach to Inreach communications. Don't know why they haven't made this another way to communicate with the Inreach?

Trial153

WKR
I find it no faster or slower than any other message. Seems to change though out the day. Maybe a satellite issue ?

Cdroot89

Lil-Rokslider
It's basically an email to email using your Garmin email address, your email [email protected]. Check your explore.garmin.com account or Inreach unit owner info for yours. Your email handle should be the email address you used to sign up with.

Just in case you want to try it or are about to ask. No you can not send an email from your computer or phone to your Inreach email address, it only works for Inreach to Inreach communications. Don't know why they haven't made this another way to communicate with the Inreach?

So a spot can not send a message to my inreach email? My hunting partner was hoping we could do that this year.