Insight on new kifaru frame?

pew

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe I missed the clear statement, but it seems to me that the only waterproof material is the coyote brown “body.” The ranger green “accents” are still 550d cordura. Am I understanding this correctly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Akicita

WKR
Finally watched he video and I may jump on the Kifaru band wagon. I'm thinking I'm going to order the new frame and large X-Pac bag when it comes out to compare to my Seek Outside Unaweep Fortress 6300. Hopefully it will be in production in time so I can put it through the ringer over the summer. It will have to be something pretty special to beat out my Fortress. . . Either way there may be one or the other for sale late Summer or early Fall after my comparisons if I determine I don't need both.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Maybe I missed the clear statement, but it seems to me that the only waterproof material is the coyote brown “body.” The ranger green “accents” are still 550d cordura. Am I understanding this correctly?

Also keep in mind unless the seams are taped the stitching can still leak even with waterproof fabric (not sure if they are/aren't taping). The waterproof fabric w/o taped seams will be highly water resistant though since it won't wet out and the seams are the only leakage path, just not "waterproof" as you'd expect from a dry bag or such.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
I can't recall where but I remember seeing someone from Kifaru mentioning that they would recommend turning the bag inside out and seam sealing it if you wanted to improve the leak protection at the stitching seams. Seek Outside recommends sealing from the outside.

PredatorX

WKR
So are you fellers going with the lite or ultralite?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

work765

WKR
The Lite. It’s stiffer. Only 2oz Difference.

He said ultralight might be better for a “daypack” if you like that flex.

Last edited:

matman

Lil-Rokslider
I’m going for the lite. Like what was already mentioned, only two ounces difference and I want the 5 loops on each side of the frame instead of 3 on the UL.

PredatorX

WKR
Yeah the extra loops would be nice. I think I may be going for the UL. I always liked the way the bikini felt when drawing the bow as opposed to the hunter frame. It will always be on my back so I will probably appreciate it flexing with me a little more.

matman

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah the extra loops would be nice. I think I may be going for the UL. I always liked the way the bikini felt when drawing the bow as opposed to the hunter frame. It will always be on my back so I will probably appreciate it flexing with me a little more.

I completely understand. If it wasn’t for the additional two loops on each side I would be on the UL bandwagon for sure. The additional two ounces shed and flex would be nice. Damn I’m going to talk myself into the undecided wagon again Hahaha.

work765

WKR
I keep thinking from a marketing/consumer stand point. Why did they make the two different versions? Very similar really. Seems odd to me.
Unless they are really trying to capture the gram counting crowd as well.

I think one frame will end up being more popular and the other will lose steam. Which one will it be?? Who knows

elkyinzer

WKR
So kifaru made a frame with lighter bones and same sizing and attachments? Is that what I gather or am I wrong? Any new adjustment points? Materials? Minute changes in angles? It's been a couple months of hype and I still can't find any actual info?

PredatorX

WKR
The stays have been relocated which is supposed to put less pressure on the lumbar. Pretty significant change.

To summarize as I see it:

+ more horizontal rigidity
+ lighter weight
+ better airflow
+ more grab-it attachment options
+ more customized shoulder strap lengths
+ shoulder strap stability
+ more evenly distributed load

I'd say they definitely improved upon existing frame if the above holds true.

Last edited:

bigbulls

Lil-Rokslider
Did the new pack release and I missed it? I thought we could pre order by now.

PredatorX

WKR
Just got mine in as well. I'm glad they had all colors available too.

brocksw

WKR
Something to note... They will only have the option of the composite stays... Alum will work but will not be an option to buy the frame with.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk