Insight on new kifaru frame?

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
I live and hunt in Washington mostly. Western Washington to be specific. Here it is typically WET during the best hunting conditions. Everything is wet, and you get soaked moving around in the thick undergrowth. With that being said the new packs made from XPac have me interested, with my only hesitation being the noise as I hunt with my pack on. Honestly the 2lbs or so I could save with the new frame and XPac bags is of little concern to me, but the opportunity to have a waterproof bag is intriguing.

I already carry any gear that needs to stay dry in waterproof stuff sacks and I have a waterproof pack cover as well. I am waiting to see the specs and more details on the XPac packs before I decide.

All in all a positive move forward for Kifaru for sure!

brocksw

WKR
was going to order my first kifaru frame this year. Not really sure what to do now. Sure would be nice to save a lb of weight, but the tried and true duplex hunter still seems like a superior option for a heavy pack. 1 lb of difference in weight isn't all that much.

PredatorX

WKR
My thought is this....the duplex will be more rugged and durable. Not sure it would carry heavy loads that much better though. Where the new one will shine i believe is when you are not loading it up to capacity. New one should flex more when drawing, be lighter and provide more ventilation. We shall see though!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

If you want XPac and a super comfortable pack. Look into Seek Outside Revolution. Most comfortable pack I have ever owned.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
If you want XPac and a super comfortable pack. Look into Seek Outside Revolution. Most comfortable pack I have ever owned.

I have looked at the SO Fortress 6300 a bunch and am intrigued by it no doubt. There are some things that I like (frame height adjustability, width of frame, XPac) but their bags don't excite me as far as layout goes. There is a ton of stuff SO could as far as videos go to expand the availability of info on their pack system. They have videos out there but I find them lacking in details that I want to know. For me the videos are not in depth enough.

With that said I am still interested.

I had a Kifaru Longhunter so I am familiar with their stuff and these new offerings have me waiting for more details.

Since my post above I have looked at the video a few times more and the new frame has me interested because it may provide something that my Longhunter frame did not: some more maneuverability. I know what I would get with a Kifaru Tactical frame (that is what I think that I will be getting). It would be a premier heavy load hauler and have tons of options for attachment of just about anything that I could want.

If the new Kifaru frame can still haul heavy loads well (up to 100lbs or so) but be a bit more flexible and "soft" on my back when hiking and hunting then it might be what I need. If so, the weight savings is a bonus.

Kotaman

WKR
was going to order my first kifaru frame this year. Not really sure what to do now. Sure would be nice to save a lb of weight, but the tried and true duplex hunter still seems like a superior option for a heavy pack. 1 lb of difference in weight isn't all that much.

1.4 Lb. in weight is HUGE savings on a sheep/mountain hunt.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
1.4 Lb. in weight is HUGE savings on a sheep/mountain hunt.

Correct sir. It is a good weight savings on any hunt/backpack trip longer than 3 days if you ask me. The question is what do you trade for that weight savings?

Aron is very good about explaining that there is always a tradeoff with these things. The wait for more details will be aggravating.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
Further explaining what I am saying here...

From my experience the Kifaru frame was a superior hauler of heavy loads, but it was fairly stiff on the back in order to be that good at heavy hauling. If they have figured out how to haul heavy loads nearly as comfortably as the current Tactical Frame or Hunter Frame but have it bend with you while moving around during a hunt then it will most likely be the frame for me. I didn't really have a complaint about my old Longhunter (which is closer to the Tactical frame than the Hunter) , but if this new frame does what I think it will do then I will buy it.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
My thought is this....the duplex will be more rugged and durable. Not sure it would carry heavy loads that much better though. Where the new one will shine i believe is when you are not loading it up to capacity. New one should flex more when drawing, be lighter and provide more ventilation. We shall see though!

My thoughts exactly!

Rokwiia

WKR
I have looked at the SO Fortress 6300 a bunch and am intrigued by it no doubt. There are some things that I like (frame height adjustability, width of frame, XPac) but their bags don't excite me as far as layout goes. There is a ton of stuff SO could as far as videos go to expand the availability of info on their pack system. They have videos out there but I find them lacking in details that I want to know. For me the videos are not in depth enough.

With that said I am still interested.

I had a Kifaru Longhunter so I am familiar with their stuff and these new offerings have me waiting for more details.

Since my post above I have looked at the video a few times more and the new frame has me interested because it may provide something that my Longhunter frame did not: some more maneuverability. I know what I would get with a Kifaru Tactical frame (that is what I think that I will be getting). It would be a premier heavy load hauler and have tons of options for attachment of just about anything that I could want.

If the new Kifaru frame can still haul heavy loads well (up to 100lbs or so) but be a bit more flexible and "soft" on my back when hiking and hunting then it might be what I need. If so, the weight savings is a bonus.

Therein lies the difference and the choice. I could have waited for this introduction but didn't need to. I just ordered the SO Fortress 6,300 because I wanted the simplicity of their bags. If there is external organization, it resides in the top lid or Talon. Were that not enough, I'd get the Merlin. That's all I need.

For those who want more external separation then Kifaru or other companies packs may be more attractive.

Therein lies the difference and the choice. I could have waited for this introduction but didn't need to. I just ordered the SO Fortress 6,300 because I wanted the simplicity of their bags. If there is external organization, it resides in the top lid or Talon. Were that not enough, I'd get the Merlin. That's all I need.

For those who want more external separation then Kifaru or other companies packs may be more attractive.

I'm honestly curious about the simplicity argument. What's different between the Fortess 6300 and an Argali? To me they're both tubes; but the Argali has the capability to add a belt pouch or two on if you want, but you don't have to use them. There's also the old Highcamp 7000 that is even more simple. Yes, there are bags that are made for the guy who likes to customize and tack pouches on everywhere, but IMO there are also packs to fit the crowd that want the simple and/or out of the box approach.

colersu22

WKR
Extreme Outer Limits - Home | Facebook

This link then scroll down and you will see a video with Aron that is about 30 min and goes over the frame and the new Xpac bags. Like someone mentioned it looks like the bikini and duplex had a baby that weights just over 2lbs for a 24" frame. Aron said in the video pre order in 2 weeks and hopefully ship in 6-8 weeks with a price somewhere around $325-$345

Extreme Outer Limits - Home | Facebook

This link then scroll down and you will see a video with Aron that is about 30 min and goes over the frame and the new Xpac bags. Like someone mentioned it looks like the bikini and duplex had a baby that weights just over 2lbs for a 24" frame. Aron said in the video pre order in 2 weeks and hopefully ship in 6-8 weeks with a price somewhere around $325-$345

Thanks for the link. Lucky for me I dont think I like the new frame better thann my duplex tactical.

brocksw

WKR
Further explaining what I am saying here...

From my experience the Kifaru frame was a superior hauler of heavy loads, but it was fairly stiff on the back in order to be that good at heavy hauling. If they have figured out how to haul heavy loads nearly as comfortably as the current Tactical Frame or Hunter Frame but have it bend with you while moving around during a hunt then it will most likely be the frame for me. I didn't really have a complaint about my old Longhunter (which is closer to the Tactical frame than the Hunter) , but if this new frame does what I think it will do then I will buy it.
Did he say in the video or podcast that it is more rigid than the hunter? I would presume with the 1/8" hdpe that it takes some of the "bowing" out of the edges that he talks about people experience with the 1/16" hunter frame. If im correct in my interpretation, youre basically deciding whether you want a full frame with a bit more flexibility at the top vs a lighter stiffer frame at the top that has better ventilation and an unprotected center back. If a guy wants to use the load shelf frequently then it sounds like a guy may be better of using the hunter/tactical since it will not require the new sheet attachment that he talks about...obviously that depends on the weight of that attachment. If you hull heavy center loads like sand bags or stands then it sounds like he still recommends the tac frame.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PredatorX

WKR
Some more video posted on instagram... That new bag looks really really good. Mountain wenches beware if you are rocking that bag in the backcountry.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
Did he say in the video or podcast that it is more rigid than the hunter? I would presume with the 1/8" hdpe that it takes some of the "bowing" out of the edges that he talks about people experience with the 1/16" hunter frame. If im correct in my interpretation, youre basically deciding whether you want a full frame with a bit more flexibility at the top vs a lighter stiffer frame at the top that has better ventilation and an unprotected center back. If a guy wants to use the load shelf frequently then it sounds like a guy may be better of using the hunter/tactical since it will not require the new sheet attachment that he talks about...obviously that depends on the weight of that attachment. If you hull heavy center loads like sand bags or stands then it sounds like he still recommends the tac frame.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I didn't hear him say whether it was more rigid. It comes in 1/8" and 1/16" so you have your choice of that at least.

For me it is either a Tactical Frame or the new frame in 1/8".

What I am assuming is that this new frame in 1/8" will flex/move more in an independent fashion side to side because of the longer split down the middle of the frame sheet. Sure it has the carbon arrow across the top but the attachment points for it are a sewn "tube" so it has to flex more than it it was a full height framesheet. This should help when hunting with the pack on and bending over, crawling, etc....

Time to watch the videos again....

twall13

WKR
I wish Aron would have twisted the frame so we could see in the video. He pushed on the sides and it appears quite solid with the arrow shaft but I hope it flexed a little as you twist, at least more so than the hunter frame. I don't plan on getting rid of my hunter frame but I was going to get an Exo frame as a back up and for general backpacking use but this may be a better option for me. I'm looking forward to some real world reviews and comparisons.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk