Is my 30-06 all I need?

So, I currently shoot a suppressed (Dead Air Nomad LT) Tikka T3X 30-06. I’ve had the barrel cut down to 20”. I’m shooting 150gr Hornady Superformance SST. I have it zeroed at 200yds. Vortex Razor LHT 3-15x42 on Leupold Backcountry rings)

So here’s the situation, I want to start shooting/hunting at longer distances. Probably max 600yds (Black bear, elk, whatever I get lucky enough to hunt). I’m happy with the 30-06 but would I benefit from a caliber change in order to learn and effectively hunt at that range?

I know that going with a heavier bullet will help with efficacy/punch at further distances. But I don’t want to throw good money after bad. And at least save time in chasing the end goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Your 30-06 will be fine. Look at the ballistics for some ammo and you’ll be above 1800 fps if you switch to an ELDm at 600.

Other cartridges will give you more margin of error. And, others will also reduce recoil and give you more margin.

You don’t need to change, but it can be easier to learn for sure. Less expensive in the end with less expensive cartridges and faster learning curve. You have probably seen the threads about the .223 and Rokslide going to lighter bullets.

The .30-06 is great at what it does, and the only downside is recoil. However, you’re already mitigating a good amount with the suppressor.

IMO, you don’t need to spend any more money unless you wanted to possibly upgrade your optic, but that’s totally preference.

I would do some research on loads with the 168 ELDM and work up a load for your rifle. It’s an excellent killer in the .308 Win, and can drive a little faster with the extra powder capacity in the -06. This is a higher BC bullet than your using now, and you should have plenty of velocity for reliable expansion out to 600 (1800fps).

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
You certainly do not need anything else. That said, practicing shooting is important and 30-06 is not the cheapest, plus recoil makes high round counts uncomfortable.

I added a Tikka 223 recently and it has been great for practice. This month I have put 250 rounds through it, which is not that many, but a lot more than what I ever did with my 30-06. I enjoy shooting more, and I no longer catch myself flinching, making it easier to focus on the fundamentals.

Looks like with reloading a 30-06 will cost 20-30 cents more per shot for projectiles and powered, so it would take a long time (4000-5000 rounds) for a buying a 223 to be cheaper (well, you will likely need a new barrel on your 30-06 by that point, so perhaps a touch sooner). So it really comes down to how much more would you practice and would it help your shooting. Good test, have a friend load the rifle for 12 shots, have him put a dummy round in for one of them. See if you flinch.

Another option is keep an eye out for a 6.5 CM Tikka take off (classifieds and J&A Outdoors), shoot the 30-06 until the barrel burns out, then screw the take off barrel on as that will be cheaper than any of the custom makers, even sending the take off to be cut and threaded.

180ls1

WKR
Also, depending on your budget and if you dont have a backup gun I would highly consider grabbing a new one in addition.

You could slap your current scope and rings on a 7prc Tikka (same platform makes it easy on you), put a cheaper scope on the 06' and have a very good setup. I don't do out of state hunts anymore without backup.

OP
jeffhelland
The .30-06 is great at what it does, and the only downside is recoil. However, you’re already mitigating a good amount with the suppressor.

IMO, you don’t need to spend any more money unless you wanted to possibly upgrade your optic, but that’s totally preference.

I would do some research on loads with the 168 ELDM and work up a load for your rifle. It’s an excellent killer in the .308 Win, and can drive a little faster with the extra powder capacity in the -06. This is a higher BC bullet than your using now, and you should have plenty of velocity for reliable expansion out to 600 (1800fps).

Re: scope upgrade. Are you recommending based on anything in particular, or just because there are better options available?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Re: scope upgrade. Are you recommending based on anything in particular, or just because there are better options available?

Apparently sharing information is frowned on by many on this site (there is a dumpster fire thread complaining about it). So, I will just say, take a look at this sub form as I don't want to trigger anyone, or turn your thread into another dumpster fire.

And the dumpster fire so you can see why some think the above testing is for small brained apes like myself and not for the enlightened.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a tikka 30-06 with an 18” barrel. I shoot it suppressed with a TBAC ultra 7 and I also installed a limbsaver on it. It’s very comfortable to shoot but as has been mentioned, it’s not the cheapest thing to shoot.

If I had to pick one of my guns, I his is the one I’d probably keep. I have it set up with sportsmatch rings and a nightforce shv 3-10. It’s like -15 out this weekend so yesterday I pulled it all apart to go through the proofing process with it. It’s incredibly accurate with 180g Accubonds and 165g partitions, I use lapua brass and either h4831sc or h4350. I keep it sighted in about 2.5” high at 100 yards.