Is too long of a sleeping bag that much more cold?

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Curious people's experiences with getting the next longest bag. Are they actually that much colder?

I'm somewhere between 6' and 6'1". Closer to the 6' mark, I've always used the regular length bags and they work for the most part until I get cold and try to snuggle into it then my toes get cramped.

Looking at a new Kelty Cosmic 20 Ultra and can't decide if I should just get the regular or try the long. Anyone have similar experiences? The Google says my feet will be colder in the long bag, but it also says they will be cold if I am compressing the end fill.

I’m 6’ and prefer a 6’6” bag for the extra space. I use it for my clothes, electronics, water filter, etc… The extra wiggle room is nice and I have a spot for things that need to keep from freezing. I can use a 6’ but prefer the longer bag in colder weather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
For your height, longer is good. It’s not too much and gives you some storage and wiggle room.

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
Curious people's experiences with getting the next longest bag. Are they actually that much colder?

I'm somewhere between 6' and 6'1". Closer to the 6' mark, I've always used the regular length bags and they work for the most part until I get cold and try to snuggle into it then my toes get cramped.

Looking at a new Kelty Cosmic 20 Ultra and can't decide if I should just get the regular or try the long. Anyone have similar experiences? The Google says my feet will be colder in the long bag, but it also says they will be cold if I am compressing the end fill.
When I’m using a bag that’s too long I either shove my little dry bag with my extra socks and tee shirt down into the end of my bag to fill up space or I fold the end of the bag under my feet.

OP
flyfisher117

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 6’ and prefer a 6’6” bag for the extra space. I use it for my clothes, electronics, water filter, etc… The extra wiggle room is nice and I have a spot for things that need to keep from freezing. I can use a 6’ but prefer the longer bag in colder weather

That is true. With my old bag I had no storage at the end. Could barely keep a hoody tucked away for mornings.
Get you a pair of these and worry no more about cold feet:
RANDDER Down Booties Warm Socks for Men & Women - Ultralight Sleeping Sock for Camp, Backpacking - Soft & Cozy Camping Sleeping Bag Tent Down Slippers Foot Warmer https://a.co/d/huped1Y
Actually been eyeballing ones similar to those for me and my wife. Wasn't sure how comfortable they would be.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
some gear company years ago did a thermodynamic study of sleeping bag temperatures both direct and indirect (objective and subjective) data points from short bags to long bags. I cannot find it in my search history but the jest was believable so I don't mind repeating: the longer bags were favored by a large majority of users for the fact of stuffing clothes and/or boots or fuel canisters inside for peripheral warm ups, plus the thermodynamic data leaned toward lofty air warmth in longer bags until it reached some temp below 20 degrees, then the warmth factor condensed to improve with smaller bag size.

I think there was enough subjective input to suggest that it came down to personal preference with condition-specific factors that determined which bag scenario felt warmer.

I personally prefer a bag with 6" extra length so I can stuff extra clothes or fuel/water to prewarm in cool temps. But I also have adopted a twin-sized flat sheet for snuggling warmth and it has improved my experiences in all climates.

EdP

WKR
I think "too large" a bag causing a person to be cold is primarily a function of girth rather than length. It is very easy to stuff something down the bag to fill it if needed.

OP
flyfisher117

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
some gear company years ago did a thermodynamic study of sleeping bag temperatures both direct and indirect (objective and subjective) data points from short bags to long bags. I cannot find it in my search history but the jest was believable so I don't mind repeating: the longer bags were favored by a large majority of users for the fact of stuffing clothes and/or boots or fuel canisters inside for peripheral warm ups, plus the thermodynamic data leaned toward lofty air warmth in longer bags until it reached some temp below 20 degrees, then the warmth factor condensed to improve with smaller bag size.

I think there was enough subjective input to suggest that it came down to personal preference with condition-specific factors that determined which bag scenario felt warmer.

I personally prefer a bag with 6" extra length so I can stuff extra clothes or fuel/water to prewarm in cool temps. But I also have adopted a twin-sized flat sheet for snuggling warmth and it has improved my experiences in all climates.
Interesting, makes sense though. Thanks!
Make sure ya got a good sleeping pad underneath ya. And you will be fine.

Still searching for a sleeping pad too. My current one is bulky and not very warm or cushioned.

Can’t go wrong with Thermarest - I like the xtherm models. They pack up small and give ya nice cushion and warmth.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
For three season use I use a regular length bag (5' 11"), but winter bag (-10F), I use a long length as I like to stick stuff in the bottom I don't want frozen solid :D

I'm right at 5'11¾" and have a kelty lightyear 20 long and when I stretch my feet out it's nice to have the extra room, plus like others good place to stuff clothes and whatnot you want to keep warm without being cramped up.

I would think if you're 5'6" and got a long you might get into the extra space making you cold.
Being right at the 6' mark, I think I just comes to down comfort and preference more so than being too big and making you colder.

But what do I know, I couldn't resist the temptation to drop a "that's what she said" lol sorry about that

OP
flyfisher117

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t go wrong with Thermarest - I like the xtherm models. They pack up small and give ya nice cushion and warmth.

Currently using the Thermarest base camp. Got it for car camping but it's not too warm I need to look at their lighter and more compact offerings as I start venturing out overnight hunting.

taskswap

WKR
Best thing I ever did was buy a cheap pair of down "booties" - I got a generic brand off Amazon for $25. They add significant foot comfort for me for very little weight (2oz) and easily add 5-10F to a comfort rating on any bag for me, way more than any empty space at the bottom matters. (My feet get cold first, and if my feet are cold, the rest of me is cold.)

On extremely cold days I can put a pair of toe warmers in there and the booties hold the heat in all night. I pair all this with a Zpacks down "goose hood" and pair of "brushtail possum" gloves. I have been absolutely toasty this way in a 6'6"-long 10F quilt (sewn footbox) down to 0F. If I added my down puffy over my mid-section and maybe threw in a BodyWarmer or two, I bet I could get a good night's sleep down to -10 if the wind wasn't bad.

OP
flyfisher117

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Got the bag today, found a sweet sale so I got it ordered. Definitely glad I went with the long. I do not have 6" of room. I have enough I can point my toes to the end of the bag and just barely rub it so I'd say it's about right.