ISO Air Taxi

Natekraft

FNG
Hey y’all probably a question more directed for locals but if anyone knows!
I’m looking for an air taxi rather than a transporter.Ive been on a transporter caribou drop camp previously. I would love to do caribou hunt every year but having a hard time justifying 5k plus per person for a hour plane ride each way.. The last Hunt I did I brought all my own gear/food so that’s not a problem.
Any thoughts/ suggestions are greatly appreciated!

CJ AK

FNG
Tough market. The same idea crossed my mind, not only for price savings but also availability. Anyone with a transporter license isn't going to charge air taxi rates for a hunt drop off. Then comes in the tribal knowledge of where to land and where are the animals. An Air taxi may know where there is game but not at the level of a transporter. After all, it isn't their specialty

Bambistew

WKR
Inexpensive hunts are a thing of the past. Demand far out paces supply, and the prices aren't coming back down. I remember paying less than $1000 for a flyout moose hunt, including hauling meat! You'll be lucky to find one for less than $5k pp now. If you want to go caribou hunting go sooner rather than later, the cost is less of a worry, IMO. Populations are down all over and supply/demand is going to make those hunts even more expensive in the future. Worldwide the caribou population is down something like 50% in the last 10 years. Outfitted caribou hunts are now $15-20k plus expenses. Approaching moose and sheep territory.

Sorry no help on the air taxi. The few I know of charge rates that put them into the transporter range. Also consider an hour flight is really 4 hours of flight time. Taxis run $600-1200/hr +/- depending on aircraft, location, demand, etc.

It's going to be very very difficult to find a charter operator to drop you in a good hunting area for a reasonable price. Most charter services operate out of well known lakes, bays, or strips/runways. The few that do have true bush planes (cubs or maul type) charge a lot for sketchy landings. Part of what a transporters charging for is knowledge of the area. Reputable transporters know the area they operate in much better than a charter operator generally since they focus on one small part of the state whereas a charter operator will cover 10 times the area but only landing at well known or major strips. Just my two cents

CJ AK

FNG
It's going to be very very difficult to find a charter operator to drop you in a good hunting area for a reasonable price. Most charter services operate out of well known lakes, bays, or strips/runways. The few that do have true bush planes (cubs or maul type) charge a lot for sketchy landings. Part of what a transporters charging for is knowledge of the area. Reputable transporters know the area they operate in much better than a charter operator generally since they focus on one small part of the state whereas a charter operator will cover 10 times the area but only landing at well known or major strips. Just my two cents
Akhunter's right on point

I talked to a pilot out of coldfoot yesterday for a Hula Hula float trip. non hunting float with the wife.
beaver to the put in:$4550; beaver to the takeout:$5850. Over $10,000 just for bush flights on a recreational float. That does not include getting to coldfoot, raft rental, food ect. Flying is just expensive, fyi i have probably done half a dozen trips like this. It makes me rethink things.

AKBorn

WKR
I talked to a pilot out of coldfoot yesterday for a Hula Hula float trip. non hunting float with the wife.
beaver to the put in:$4550; beaver to the takeout:$5850. Over $10,000 just for bush flights on a recreational float. That does not include getting to coldfoot, raft rental, food ect. Flying is just expensive, fyi i have probably done half a dozen trips like this. It makes me rethink things.
I have no idea where your put in is on the Hula Hula, but any chance there is a shorter Beaver flight from somewhere else up there (Prudhoe Bay maybe)?