Jerky Experts

IdahoElk

WKR
What is the best way to slice meat consistently thin? is there a slicer available?
Any info is appreciated

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Meat Processors has any number of meat slicers. If that is all you are going to use it for don't go overboard on price. Hight Mt. also has jerky kits which come with cutting board slicing knife, and a pack or two of jerky seasoning if you like. I find it easier to use the board and knife unless I am making large quantity, then I break out the slicer. I slice against the grain vs with the grain, partially frozen.

I've never liked the slicers and tried a bunch. Super easy to pull the meat slabs out of the freezer and leave in the fridge overnight, they'll still feel frozen in the morning but they're soft frozen. A good strong butcher knife will make clean thin cuts. I also do that with thinner than jerky cuts like the HQ sirloin also shaving super this slices off for Philly Cheesesteaks.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great jerky is constant piece to piece. Being the same thickness also helps the pieces dry at the same rate. Both those reasons are why I chose to use a slicer. Mine uses a serrated blade and cuts even unfrozen pretty easily. Think it was like 30 dollars or so

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
IdahoElk

IdahoElk

WKR
I hear what you guys are saying about slicing partial frozen meat, I'm trying to make it as easy as possible for my wife to do it since she seems enthusiastic about doing it.
Having said that has anyone tried this?

gman82001

WKR
I used to keep it slight froze and use a knife but once a guy gave me a piece of his and I played around to dial in my recipe which is 5lb Ground meat Cabelas hickory seasoning and about 5 ground up (food processor) jalapeño. I won’t make my jerky any other way now.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I can’t stand sliced jerky. It’s too tough for me. I much prefer ground meat and a jerky shooter. I did 6 pounds of elk for my Wyoming deer hunt last October and a couple of pounds for my western turkey hunts this past Spring.

Backyard

WKR
Slightly frozen, with a boning knife, 1/4-3/8” thick with the grain. It will shrink a lot. So no, this is not too thick. Been doing it this way for over 20 years, comes out perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slightly frozen, with a boning knife, 1/4-3/8” thick with the grain. It will shrink a lot. So no, this is not too thick. Been doing it this way for over 20 years, comes out perfect.

Agree, I cut my jerky thicker than steaks sometimes, except I still cut across the grain. We do about 15 lbs batches every other month all offseason.

tony

WKR
I bought 4 pounds at a time and had the butcher do it. This was at least 6-8 years ago, price was $25-30.00. Usually a winter activity I did with my daughter. Of course if we had a deer or 2 it was free.
Freezing and using a slicer, then a good knife to trim them down again need be.

I always marinated no less than 24 hours, dehydrated low heat at least 8 hours, up to 12.
Used a dehydrator, never did the oven rack thing.
Lot people think they are making dinner and rush it. It’s a snack and just something to do in the winter months I always thought

I have a slicer that has a serrated blade that does a pretty good job too. It is just a PITA to clean, so I usually skip using it. Again, have you meat partially frozen for best results. I believe my is Weston brand.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I tried cutting with the grain and found it comes out to stringy, but what ever floats your boat. Mine starts out about 1/4" thick, and shrinks some during the drying process.

Agree on frozen . Like some above have gone to ground meat . Place between 2 pieces of wax paper and use rolling pin . Great for consistent thickness which leads to perfect jerky vs dry and crunchy or almost raw. I think ground meat the spices get in better . Good luck

Backyard

WKR
I tried cutting with the grain and found it comes out to stringy, but what ever floats your boat. Mine starts out about 1/4" thick, and shrinks some during the drying process.

I wouldn’t say it floats my boat. Its jerky. Meant to be a bit tough. If you want a nice tender cut, grill a tenderloin. JS.