Jicarilla

Depends on the hunt. General deer or in their fenced 30,000 acre game park. It’s a lot of $ either way. Just look up their game regulations and you should find it.

Depends on the hunt. General deer or in their fenced 30,000 acre game park. It’s a lot of $ either way. Just look up their game regulations and you should find it.
I was under the impression that the Jicarilla was not a high fenced hunt. I've driven through quite a few times and have only seen the usual wire fences for livestock.

The fenced area is big. I’ve hunted it once on a complimentary cow elk tag back when they did that. The elk were pretty spooky. That was probably 15 years ago. I didn’t think it was anything special but we weren’t looking for big bulls or bucks.

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
I do not want any of you guys to start crying in your beer but I hunted the southern half of the reservation in 1971 0r '72. Cost was $200. At the time the northern half tags were higher, maybe $500 IIRC. I think the tribe opened deer hunting to a limited number of non-members in 1961. There was no drawing, just first come first serve.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I think the min. bid right now is $30,000. The proclamation will be out the end the month or first part of March. The last I heard, a year ago, there are only 8 non tribal permits up for bid.

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
Back in the '60's the Jicarilla had very few elk but a lot of mule deer. Now they have considerably more elk and a whole lot less deer. Just like the Chama country to the east of the Rez.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Back in the '60's the Jicarilla had very few elk but a lot of mule deer. Now they have considerably more elk and a whole lot less deer. Just like the Chama country to the east of the Rez.
I have been there four times, I'm sick of seeing mule deer every time we turn a corner, or go over a hill. I have seen several I would gladly shoot if I were hunting them, but the guide always says, we wouldn't let you shoot that one. maybe he's just pulling my leg.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
And average and above average income folks. Not many in those groups can afford a $25-40K deer hunt.
Several of the guides I have talked to have taken out NFL, MLB players. Other have taken out Dr. and lawyers. $40 K, is way above my pay grade.

I'm so disappointed to hear that there is a high fenced hunting area there. I thought they just did a really good job of managing their deer herds for older age class bucks with good genetics. Would I be wrong to now assume that's where all the pictures of 200+ inch Jicarilla deer I see are coming from? Inside the fence? 😕

I'm so disappointed to hear that there is a high fenced hunting area there. I thought they just did a really good job of managing their deer herds for older age class bucks with good genetics. Would I be wrong to now assume that's where all the pictures of 200+ inch Jicarilla deer I see are coming from? Inside the fence? 😕
Why they just fly the rest of the 850k acres with helo and map out the big’en’s. They set their own game laws and limits. I bet very few mule deer get too big in the HF. MD still migrate in that country with deep snow. Deep snow doesn't bother elk to bad. Plus they dont have a breeding operation like some of the Mexican ranches where they are releasing tons of 3 year old bucks.

enemyway

FNG
i'm pretty sure the horse lake fenced area is dedicated to their bull elk hunts while the rest of the reservation has the resident and migratory mule deer herds Rio Arriba county is known for. They are dealing with the same issues across the west including drought and predators so the numbers are definitely not what they were in the 80s and 90s but there are still a few hogs in there.