Jicarilla Reservation - South Unit

jrlars9

FNG
Hey guys. Does anyone have any experience or opinions about the South Unit of the Jicarilla reservation for a December cow elk hunt? I've got a family member that has hunted the reservation in the past, but I believe he had a reservation-wide tag, so he isn't very familiar with the south portion.

I'm happy to discuss through private messages too.

Thanks!

Haven't been to the south part of the reservation specifically, but I hunted cow elk there last year with a reservation-wide tag. Generally speaking, the Jicarilla is absolutely crawling with elk. You don't necessarily need any specific info, as tribal guides are required and they know where to find the elk. I tagged out on my 2nd day, but that's because I blew a couple of opportunities the first day. Bagging a cow elk should not be a problem.

Agreed. Plenty of elk on the south end. Too many imho and many others. December is a special time to be in that country. Enjoy!

nam1975

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have any recommendations for a tribal guide? I see they publish a list.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have hunted both Res. wide and south unit. the south unit is a four day hunt, while the res. wide is three days. Res wide you will hunt mostly north section of the reservation. One reason for this is, there is far less travel time to get to hunting area, virtually minutes. From Dulce ,where all the guides depart from the south unit is a min. 45 minute drive. All the Elk I have taken on the south unit were 250+ yards, furthest, 460. I hunted the res. wide two time, furthest shot was 125 yards. The south unit is more wide open with rolling hills and a lot of juniper. The northern area is more staying timber. If you put in for res. wide but don't get drawn, call the office and talk to Kyle, there are always tags left over on the south unit. Again, for a reason.

Northpark

WKR
What’s the cost on a cow hunt in the Jicarilla these days? Easy half day drive for me and I’ve been thinking about trying it for a couple years.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
What’s the cost on a cow hunt in the Jicarilla these days? Easy half day drive for me and I’ve been thinking about trying it for a couple years.
$50 admin. fee non refundable. tag is $900. Now days you don't send money until you get drawn. Guide fees vary depending on guide. Most will offer a per day fee, or a flat rate. It's a crap shoot but I generally go for flat rate. Then add tip on top of that. For a little extra $$, one of the kids will bone out you elk for you.That saves a lot of cooler space. I have used two different guides, Eldon Telamante is my first choice. I'm not going this year, but the guy I usually go with is leaving this Sat. morning, hunting the 13th-16th Nov. South unit. It's a 850 mile drive from where we live. we generally spend the first travel night In Gallup NM. Then Finnish up the trip the next day. That gives us time the day before the hunt Starts to meet up with the guide and make a game plan. We generally go to the range in Dulce just to make sure nothing got knock out of wack with our rifles. I have been spending my time so far this year getting the grandson out pig hunting, so no Elk this year.

I just got finished hunting the south unit for cow elk. First time down there. It was tough, mostly due to drought and hot weather. Finally sealed the deal on day 3. Took a cow elk at 140 yards. First time using 6.5 PRC, and despite the naysayers, I now have a great deal of confidence in this caliber. Sample size of 1, but that elk didn’t take more than 5 steps. As for guides, my guide is most likely winding down his guiding activities, so I don’t have any recommendations there. South unit will boil down to water - find the active watering holes and hit them first thing in the AM and right before sunset. North end of the res will hold a lot more elk, but there are absolutely elk in the south unit, just not in the same numbers.