Jimmy Tarps Alpine Basin REVIEW

ianpadron

WKR
Picked up an Alpine Basin from Jimmy to round out my shelter arsenal. There are like 2 threads online that discuss the Alpine Basin, so I went back and forth between it, the La Garita from Bearpaw Wilderness Designs, and the Kifaru Megatarp.

EXCELLENT decision so far. I ask a lot of my gear and fully expect this shelter to take me through hell and back.

Hopefully this thread will help some of you get a better idea of what kind of shelter this is. I'll update the thread as the fall progresses and I put the tarp through it's paces. If you have any specific questions or things you'd like to see, let me know.

First.. some pics, then my initial pros/cons.

5c0d370c69204c2e6ac5bfcc41c1c218.jpg

Cimarron on the left. Alpine Basin on the right...tiny.

c3c2d1901eec0278a0595070a630a2c4.jpg

Pitched about 6 inches off the ground.

e85644a75997d77b0cd95d56d81cf49f.jpg

7 feet wide at the front.

21ff27211d2cb3050228fb908238ca06.jpg

The gf for scale. She's a hair under 5'9".

2a3412ad1f87e929e01873341c763b8a.jpg

Easily fits 2.

Pros:
- Jimmy is the man, he is a hunter and fisherman and proud of it. Dealing with him was too easy. I like doing business with good people.
-price. $329 for what's basically a silnylon version of the first generation Mega Tarp.
-weight, 20oz with included guylines AND stovejack which is standard (my cimarron is about 40 oz without guylines)
-integrated stuff sack. Just like a puffy jacket. Great feature.
- the cut is rock solid. I was apprehensive at first based on the pics online but this thing is roomy and does really well in the wind if you pitch the sides facing into the wind. I can lay sideways by the front door with room to spare and I'm 6'3ish.

Potential Cons:
- the shelter takes 20 stakes to be fully guyed out. I was using 14 in the pics above. My guess is that under typical conditions, you would be just fine with 8-10. Not a big deal to me.
- sloppy sewing. I personally don't care how straight a hand-sewn seam is but I know some guys do. In no way do the 2 or 3 less than perfect spots affect the function of the shelter. I think they add character haha.
- flat front/back. This is the only one that I personally would change. A pointed vestibule on each end would make this shelter just about the greatest thing since sliced bread. More space for gear and better profile for windy conditions.

My initial score for the shelter is 8.5/10.

Well that's it for now, I'll keep you guys posted!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. With so little "field review" of this shelter it's hard to know exactly what you're getting. Appreciate the info.

molon labe

reaper

WKR
Great review thanks.
Too bad its a flat on front and back,this is why i end-up with a Paratarp,flat is bad for wind and i think the stove jack is not at a good location+ a flat door...it doesnt make sense for me, you lose a lot of space.You should post some pictures of the stove jack my friend 😉

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk

I think you could ask jimmy to mod it. He does a lot of mods etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
I think you could ask jimmy to mod it. He does a lot of mods etc.

Asked him to do just that before I ordered it...he said it isn't doable at the time due to the way he'd have to cut/sew the fabric. I don't know much about tarps and it seems he really did his homework on the design, but the flat front just doesn't make sense to me.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Great review thanks.
Too bad its a flat on front and back,this is why i end-up with a Paratarp,flat is bad for wind and i think the stove jack is not at a good location+ a flat door...it doesnt make sense for me, you lose a lot of space.You should post some pictures of the stove jack my friend 😉

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk
Here's your stove jack pic boss!

af614786f0c8af4290ef7fb7a55df332.jpg

And a view with it being lived in.

fa0fcfdd55eeea1f3bfd4f07b262f60a.jpg

UPDATES:

I lived out of this thing for 3 days last week. Weather in the low to mid 30s at night, lots of rain. The shelter held up great, no leaks, handled the wind WAY better than expected, in fact it did a hell of a lot better than my Cimarron does in similar conditions. As long as you've got the sides facing into the wind, it just slides right up and over the shelter, no problem whatsoever. Can't describe how impressed I was with its performance in the wind.

I didn't run a stove but was imagining how it would work if I was. I came to the conclusion that running 2 people AND a stove would probably be a huge PITA because one side of the entrance would be devoted to the stove. There is still enough room to sleep someone behind the stove, but getting in and out would be a hassle. The rear entrance is a possibility, but it is pretty cramped back there and crawling in would get old fast.

1 guy and a stove? Can't figure out how that could ever be a problem, the Alpine Basin is HUGE for what it is. I still think that a front and back vestibule would put this thing over the top, but am confident that it won't make the slightest difference once a stove is involved and it's just me using the shelter. Besides, I have the Cimarron for times when I need a stove for 2 people.

Last edited:
OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Getting real close to pulling the trigger on one of these. Anyone else have any feedback on it?
What do you wanna know man, this thing has been my home away from home this fall.

cocky84

WKR
Looks like an awesome shelter. Great review too. Basically just wanted to bump this thread back up to get it going again.

dog812

WKR
Yah I am seriously considering this as well. has anyone used the stove Jack?

Does just fine in the wind and snow too.

b220486a1d6cc0c59ae224701f6e6a2b.jpg

That's an awesome picture. How do you go about ordering one of these? I've been searching all over trying to find a website.

Ed T

Lil-Rokslider
What I've ordered from Jimmy Tarps, I've contacted him through his Facebook page.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
That's an awesome picture. How do you go about ordering one of these? I've been searching all over trying to find a website.

Listen to Ed T, Facebook!

Recently deactivated my Facebook, but sent him a pm. How would you compare this tarp to any of the Kifaru's?

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Recently deactivated my Facebook, but sent him a pm. How would you compare this tarp to any of the Kifaru's?

Well funny you ask because I just got a Megatarp too haha. The Jimmy is essentially a lighter weight supertarp without a vestibule. The Kifaru material and zippers are WAY beefier, but that comes with a price, weight.

The Alpine Basin is literally the size of 2 fists when packed up and truly does weigh 20oz with all guylines attached.

I got the Megatarp on a smokin' deal on here, traded it for my Cimmaron. I like the extra height on both ends of the shelter and the vestibule/annex for storing gear.

Thanks for the info. I like the 20oz of the Jimmy Tarp and being able to close the front without having to purchase an annex that Kifaru requires. I'm thinking about getting the Alpine Basin with a bathtub floor piece to add inside.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Thanks for the info. I like the 20oz of the Jimmy Tarp and being able to close the front without having to purchase an annex that Kifaru requires. I'm thinking about getting the Alpine Basin with a bathtub floor piece to add inside.

Do it! Mine might be for sale in the next week or so, I'll let you know.

Please send me a pm if you decide to sell it! How much use does it have? I just can't see spending the extra couple hundo for a Megatarp over the Alpine Basin, but would love to hear some more feedback from you.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Please send me a pm if you decide to sell it! How much use does it have? I just can't see spending the extra couple hundo for a Megatarp over the Alpine Basin, but would love to hear some more feedback from you.

Will do! I've used it on 3 trips this year and clean it after everyone. I seam sealed it to perfection as well.