Just when you’ve thought you’ve heard of everything

BuckRut

Lil-Rokslider
I had heard rumors about sheep harvested from the Breaks having there goods sold for something like this. I'll bet if the names of some of the folks helping with the Marco Polo samples came out I wouldn't be surprised by those either.

t_carlson

WKR
Considering his other business in downtown GF, I'm not surprised about the Frankensheep.

Easily the most disgusting pet store I've ever been inside of. You can smell it in the alley or street when you walk by, and one time I walked by and saw a vacuum cleaner that was plugged in sitting in the middle of the "puppy display area" out front. They were chewing on the cord, Christmas Vacation style.

A while back, there was even a protest outside of the place due to the conditions, and there is a facebook group devoted to trying to get it closed down.

Mike7

WKR
I do not necessarily support this, but I have to say, this seems to greatly pale in importance to what biotech companies are doing right now that could not only create millions of times greater havoc in nature, but also destroy the human race.

Not only is genetic modification of food crops, bacteria, viruses, and disease transmitting insects being performed in labs, but some companies are apparently doing these experiments in the wild with little to no safety data.

And not only do some national governments and international bodies (e.g. the WHO) not prosecute these companies who violate biomedical ethics, but they are actually encouraging this (e.g. the NIH).

It actually seems somewhat laughable to me that this much time and tax payer money had to go into to preventing a sheep hybrid from being produced by an old dude & then released on a ranch in Texas, while the same gov't promotes biotech companies here an abroad releasing potential bioweapons to experiment on all of us without our permission.

It is like upside down world.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
In Montana we kind of frown on the idea of a non-native wildlife species mucking things up so some old codger can make a little money.

This game farm industry here (and elsewhere) is very likely responsible for CWD in the wild, hybridization of wild elk and red deer (by escaped red deer) and the untold number of unlawful captured and sale of wild elk under the guise of game farms.

So yeah it isn’t as serious as a nuclear facility going awry or thousands of starving children, but as a hunter and conservationist, this is exactly what I want to see the USFWS enforcement branch and my department spending their resources on.

IDVortex

WKR
This game farm industry here (and elsewhere) is very likely responsible for CWD in the wild, hybridization of wild elk and red deer (by escaped red deer) and the untold number of unlawful captured and sale of wild elk under the guise of game farms.
Never thought of that maybe the leading factor of the spread of CWD, especially in areas that don't boarder known areas with it.

Mike7

WKR
Once every >than 100 yr pandemics just keep popping up regularly now around research facilities in the 20th and 21st centuries. Maybe that problem is not due to game farms?

Again, not promoting it, but it sure seems that 1,000's of years of old dudes running game farms (mink, canines, horses, cattle, pigs, etc.) without gov't oversight, has been a lot safer than what we have going on now.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Once every >than 100 yr pandemics just keep popping up regularly now around research facilities in the 20th and 21st centuries. Maybe that problem is not due to game farms?

Again, not promoting it, but it sure seems that 1,000's of years of old dudes running game farms (mink, canines, horses, cattle, pigs, etc.) without gov't oversight, has been a lot safer than what we have going on now.

Mr Schubarth????

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
STATEMENT FROM WSF ON
CLONING WILD SHEEP "As the world's preeminent wild sheep conservation organization with the finest and most mission-driven network of chapters and affiliates, Wild Sheep Foundation (WSF) is sickened by this abhorrent effort to corrupt one of God's finest and most regal creations, the wild sheep. In a word, disgusting”
stated WSF's President & CEO
Gray Thornton

t_carlson

WKR

Never thought of that maybe the leading factor of the spread of CWD, especially in areas that don't boarder known areas with it.

CWD was first "found" at a Colorado research facility that was studying the transmission of disease between domestic sheep and wild game. Oddly enough, CWD most closely resembles scrapies, a degenerative brain disease in sheep and goats.

That sounds vaguely familiar, but "long COVID" has apparently impacted my memory.

No doubt that game farms contribute GREATLY to the spread of CWD, and I'd shut every one of them down if I could. But, we shouldn't forget to give .gov the credit it has earned in both the creation and lack of containment of CWD.

So who are the people showing up to shoot these? I think that's another side of the equation.

The same guys who shoot those freak-horned deer with ear tags and then think they are proving something when they post the pictures online.

yfarm

WKR
Chest thumpers, same guys that are killing the 600 lb spawning female bluefins in the GOM under the idiotic NMFS incidental bycatch rule in what has become a directed fishery every February thru March. Can’t sell but lets kill 30 metric tons of spawners every year.