Kifaru Gun Bearer Hunting Application

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for feedback from those who use the gun bearer (GB) for hunting.

I'm curious if the GB is your primary method of carry?

Do you also carry a rifle sling?

I've purchased a GB and will give it a try but I'm wondering if I'll want to bring a sling too.

Last season the sling/backpack combo was uncomfortable for me so I'm excited to take the weight off my neck/shoulders if I can make it work.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used it for 3rd season last year in forward carry and it made for a very comfortable hunt even with my very heavy rifle. I kept the sling on to wrap my arm to steady for a shot. So I guess it comes down to whether you use a sling to steady your shot. The only problem I had was that I slipped and fell while hiking on a steep hill in deep snow and the butt of the rifle hit the ground causing the 3-bar on the shoulder strap to bend. I mentioned it to Aron and Frank and they suggested that I cut off the damaged 3-bar and switch to the universal upper which doesn't require it.

Ian

Lil-Rokslider
COlineman 78, I damaged my three bar the same way, wondering if you have tried the universal. If so how do you find it to perform vs the other.

Dinger

WKR
I'm curious if the GB is your primary method of carry?
Yes....I use my Bikni frame and highcamp as a backpack & daypack with the GB carry forward. We have very long seasons so I get to use it a lot, by far my preferred carry method.

Do you also carry a rifle sling?
Nope

COlineman 78, I damaged my three bar the same way, wondering if you have tried the universal. If so how do you find it to perform vs the other.

Haven't tried it yet. I need to run up to Kifaru this week to return something Aron lent me and maybe pick up a few things. I'll let you know once I have it.

The John

Lil-Rokslider
I utilize the gun bearer for carrying my rifle (usually with my longbow bag and nice frame).

I like it as its really great for when your 4x4ing it through branches/willows/thicker areas and when glassing.

I have a sling on mine, but i use a small double sided Velcro strap to keep it out of the way. I dismount my pack from time to time and still like to have the sling on there. I sometimes have a bi-pod on my rifle, but its a little uncomfortable with it on.

OP
napeequa55

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider
I have a sling on mine, but i use a small double sided Velcro strap to keep it out of the way. I dismount my pack from time to time and still like to have the sling on there. I sometimes have a bi-pod on my rifle, but its a little uncomfortable with it on.

I'll probably run mine with a lightweight sling at first. But if I don't find myself using it I'll be glad to drop those ounces off. Good idea with the Velcro to keep the sling out of the way.

Shrek

WKR
I have used one for the last three years without a sling. Super easy , comfortable , and fast. I jumped a moose at twenty yards the first year using one and I had the crosshairs on him before he was fully standing. Only issue I've had is when hiking in the dark using my headlamp. The glare off my stainless barrel is blinding when I look to the right. Having both hands free and the rifle secure but instantly available is great !

OP
napeequa55

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider
Only issue I've had is when hiking in the dark using my headlamp. The glare off my stainless barrel is blinding when I look to the right. Having both hands free and the rifle secure but instantly available is great !

Hadn't thought about that.

I have a matte melonite finished barrel so I'm good there. I'll bet you could wrap some mcnett camo form wrap around the barrel to prevent the glare at night.

wawhitey

Lil-Rokslider
So mine just came in the mail, i have a kifaru timberline pack. Can anybody post a pic of how its supposed to be attached? Sorry for the stupid question.

wawhitey

Lil-Rokslider
I dont think it was the universal, just looked at my order confirmation email and it just said style: gun bearer. Right hand carry. Its $31 if thst tells ya anything. Id get on their website and figure it out, but my only internet at home is my crappy 1x signal on my phone, so a lot of websites just wont load for me.

RCR

Lil-Rokslider
I've used it some for rifle carry in the past. It worked great, especially when I needed two hands. I also discovered the barrel strap (shoulder strap attach point) works great to hold a bugle.

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Gun Bearer for all my firearm hunting and have for the last 3 years. Once you become used to having your hands free it's hard to deal without it. I to shoot using my sling. I use a thin web mountain sling I think it's by Blackhawk. For carry in the gun bearer I chinch all of the slack above the top attachment on the fore arm. This makes for a neat loop at the top and keeps the slack from catching things at the bottom.

MattB

WKR
I rarely gun hunt but have used it and liked it. You don't need a sling unless you use it while shooting.

Ian

Lil-Rokslider
I used the universal this year in place of the standard after folding my three bar slider. I still love the function of it. noticed some creaking if I didn't have the strap tight enough though. I've always kept the sling on, however I didn't use it at all. can't break the habit yet

OP
napeequa55

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up using the gun bearer for 7 days of deer hunting this October.

Turned out I really enjoyed it. Was nice to have hands free and not have the rifle swinging around my front like it tends to do with just a sling.

Still carried the sling on it as well but I may go away from that next time.

The cradle the buttstock sits in is a little large for my needs as I hunt with an AR with a small buttstock, so the only issue I encountered was occasionally pushing the rifle out of the cradle with my knee when hiking steep terrain. But you can avoid that with practice.