Kifaru Reckoning

Bendback

FNG
Looking for any feed back on Reckoning users. I like the versatility of load sizing with the roll top closing. All feedback or alternative pack in the 5000ci range will be appreciated.

Love mine. Very versatile. Almost the size of a daypack when you have everything cinched down but expands large enough to haul a weeks worth of gear. I like mine the more I use it.

chasewild

WKR
I've got the reckoning on the hunter frame. I've used it extensively from 1-7 day hunts. It's simple and easy. Heavy, but its durable.

rbljack

WKR
I love mine....thought long and hard before deciding on a pack. I bought mine before the newer versions came out (hoodlem, etc). I originally added guide lid and 3 medium side pockets to the bag along the bottom area of PALS. But plan to remove two of them and keep the one in the middle. The one in the middle works perfectly for a gun stock so you can carry a weapon up the middle .When its not being used for that, my first aid kit gets stored there for quick and easy access. The center zip is great for accessing the lower part of the bag without having to unstrap everything to get in the bag. Im removing the two pouches on the lower sides (he ones that attach to the bag, not the hipbelt) because its easier to cinch the bag down tighter for day mode without them, and cuts back on about 6 oz. Because I have the guide lid for extra space I don't really need them. I may also switch out to an OGL instead of the guide lid to try that out. Another thing that I like about the reckoning is the load shelf and ability to carry a water bladder OUTSIDE the bag. While I haven't used to load shelf to carry meat yet, I keep my water bladder in there, and that area between the bag and frame can carry things like sitting pads, Kifaru stove for a pack in, etc. The open side tube pockets can collect some debris over time, but it hasn't been a showstopper for me. I normally keep extra cloths layers, raingear, and puffy in those while out hunting. I always have a dry bag inside the main bag compartment....so if it starts raining, extra gear that needs to stay dry goes in the dry bag.

Like others have said....its not the lightest bag out there, but its been effective and easy to use. my one complaint I guess would be that I wish they could get the bag to come off quicker to access the load shelf. From watching videos...seems to me that the EXO has the quickest access to load shelf. That was the other bag I was on the fence about. I decided on the kifaru reckoning over the EXO based on pocket layout and accessibility of the full length tube pockets and center zip entry of the main bag

that's all I can think of at the moment...but hope that helps. Great bag for me so far, with lots of versatility.

Last edited:
I switched from a exo K2 3500 to a Reckoning on a duplex ultra lite and I’m very happy with it. Nothing bad to say about the exo but I prefer the extra room and heavy material of the reckoning. I use a gen ll claymore for a lid and a small belt pouch on the bottom center. I had it backed for 6 days in had room for a little more.

sivart

WKR
I love the Kifaru frame. I've tried most of the popular frames, and the kifaru fits me best by far.

That said, I have yet to find a bag they offer that I like. They're heavy in comparison to other companies, and don't detach well for meat carry. I tried the stryker, and it's too floppy and strappy for me. Not to mention it weighs more than a 6900 SG bag. IMO the best setup is the kifaru frame and the EXO bag.

ncavi8tor

WKR
Very interested in this thread because I am considering switching my Fulcrum for a Reckoning. The Fulcrum is a good "do all" pack, but strap management is a chore for me. I'm thinking the Reckoning with a Guide Lid would be about perfect for my needs without excess bulk and straps. I'm a archery hunter only.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

For me, the Reckoning was a great bag. The full length center zip is the best feature. The exterior pals around the bottom is good but I didn’t use it as much as I initially thought. I wasn’t much a fan of the side pocket design in general.

The Hoodlum is a step up for me in almost every way. The only drawback is the lack of a full length zip. I plan on changing that by extending both zippers to the top similar to the reckoning. I think it will be the perfect bag for me at that point.

Everyone has features they like and dislike about every bag. It’s just about finding the right mix of those and what bag is closest to that description

I absolutely love my Reckoning room. For multi-day multi week trips and compacts nicely

Attachments

• 20200730_173955.jpg
    20200730_173955.jpg
    493.5 KB · Views: 150
  • 20200802_103853.jpg
    20200802_103853.jpg
    753.2 KB · Views: 150

10ringer

WKR
If you get creative with the straps this is a very simple pack. At first this pack felt very strappy but a few tweeks and it’s amazing. In the photo I use the middle straps to hold down the snow collar. In day mode no horizontal straps are in the way and everything can be easily accessed through the
fd7ad45cb927e5630eb0ab3ead3faafb.jpg

center zipper. The open top side pockets are great for carrying oversized items like fishing poles, trekking poles, or wet items that need to air out after braking down camp after a rain storm. It’s a fairly light setup if you go Spartan with no lid and add on pouches. My duplex lite and reckoning weigh a mere 5lbs 8oz. Not bad for a 6500 ci bag. Like anything that’s extremely versatile, it may not be the best on any one thing but overall this bag can do everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbljack

WKR
Nice light weight set up 10ringer. I am doing something similar, but am still incorporating the guide lid. Although its a little heavier with it, I think it gives me a lot more options when needed and quick access to stuff in the lid without having to even open the bag at all. I plan to switch over to a OGL lid to see if it will work even better.

Like discussed in my previous post...I did away with two of the three belt pouches that can attach to the bottom section of pals on the bag. That improved the ability of the bag to compress down for day mode and cut about 6 oz. I kept the one belt pouch on the bag in the middle for my first aid kit. I like having it on the outside of the bag. I cut myself with a saw in 2018 while cutting wood, and having it on the outside was MONEY. While dripping blood from my hand, I didn't have to reach down deep into the bag to find the first aid kit, but that's another topic all together....LOL

My current Reckoning set up goes something like this:
I removed the two straps that are used for securing the lid (referenced in the Kifaru reckoning video that aron did, part 1 at the 4;16 mark). I keep them stored in the back of the lid in case I need them. I have the longer set that go from under the bottom of the bag, coming all the way up and over to tie into the guide lid, (or the snow collar if I remove the guide lid and want to leave it at camp). The straps are on either side of the Medium belt pouch in the center lower portion (where the first aid kit goes), and they don't interfere with the center zip at all. The two lower buckle sets that attach at the center (over the center zip for compression are only used when I carry a rifle on the back of the pack or my tripod. The barrel slides in behind the guide lid, the stock sits down into the medium belt pouch and the buckles are used to secure the rifle. When not used for that purpose, they are simply left unbuckled and cinched over to the sides unless I need the compression. I wish they would have used open ended females for those 3 buckles, but mine appeared to be sewn into the loops. I could cut them out and swap them at some point if I feel the need.

And this is how everything will work in theory....I haven't run the bag set up this way for a hunt yet, but I don't see why this wont work well.
To access the center zip at the bottom of the bag, unclip the two straps securing the lid, flip it up out of the way, and center zip is accessible without undoing any more straps/clips. If I want to do away with the lid completely, the two straps from the bottom of the bag can go all the way up and buckle the snow collar down by using two opened ended female buckles at the snow collar. I keep two extras on the snow collar to make it easier, but I could detach them from the guide lid when needed if I wanted to and save maybe an ounce I guess.

The full length side pockets are still available for carrying spotter and tripod, trekking poles etc. If not carrying spotter/tripod, one of those pockets is where I stuff my rain jacket and puffy coat for quick access.

Hope I explained that in a way that made sense. I came up with this new set up over the winter, and will try it out on spring turkey in NM in about 2 months....counting down!!

OH....and lastly,, I can put everything back to "stock configuration" if I need to when carrying a heavier load on a multi day trip or meat trip. All the original pieces are still carried. I would just need to re-configure the straps and connection points back to their normal locations.

Last edited:
Ive had the reckoning for several years and it does it’s job. The only think I don’t like about the pack/frame is the load shelf. I have hauled out five elk with this set up and can’t figure out how to get the load shelf to work properly. No matter what I do the load shifts at the top. It doesn’t tighten down. The only way I get it stable is to unhook my shoulder straps from the load lifters and hook the shoulder straps to buckles on the back of the pack but then the shoulder straps have an extreme amount of pressure on them. I invested in some K-clip and will attach those to the frame to try this year. If it doesn’t work I will just start putting the quarters in the bag itself.

madcalfe

WKR
Ive had the reckoning for several years and it does it’s job. The only think I don’t like about the pack/frame is the load shelf. I have hauled out five elk with this set up and can’t figure out how to get the load shelf to work properly. No matter what I do the load shifts at the top. It doesn’t tighten down. The only way I get it stable is to unhook my shoulder straps from the load lifters and hook the shoulder straps to buckles on the back of the pack but then the shoulder straps have an extreme amount of pressure on them. I invested in some K-clip and will attach those to the frame to try this year. If it doesn’t work I will just start putting the quarters in the bag itself.
yea i wish they just incorporated the load shelf right onto their frames like stone glacier. I have the hoodlum and run a grab it under the bag. don't even bother with the shelf.