KIFARU TUT PYRAMID - How bad ass is it?

OP
C
The Tut actually does better than you think when the side walls are pitched out a bit. It actually makes for a slope that the wind can flow off of, instead of bounce off of.

A lower pitch will help some, but I was in really high winds with it and the standard pitch wasn't an issue when the sidewall guy lines were staked out.

Hey Aron - This is pure armchair speculation, so feel free to lay the smackdown, but I would guess that those vertical sidewalls should shed snow loads better than traditional style tipis. Can you share the results of any testing you've done or how you think the TUT compares to say a Hilleberg? At the very least, it would seem to me that the snow cleaning intervals could be extended. I'd rather not have to get up in the middle of the night to clean snowfall when the mountain gods see it fit to drop an avalanche on my hunt.

-Mark

Last edited:

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
Pitching a 4 cornered tent like that looks way more "idiot proof" than a tipi. I know I've pitched my tipi hastily a few times and it looked like crap, the fabric flapped all night in the wind and it was a little off the ground too, so it was cold. I've said it before, but tipi's take a little practice to set up right.

mrgreen

WKR
Thanks for the pics Aron. A few questions, if you don't mind;

How do you manage to keep your gear dry when it rains? Since the zipper opens nearly to the peak/ center of the tent, getting in or out without rain coming in seems tricky. (I had that problem with my HMG Ultamid this weekend.)

With your sleeping bag that close to the wall (due to the center pole), does condensation wet out the bag? In my HMG I ended up rigging a second pole in an inverted "V", to stay in the center, away from the sidewalls. Would this be a problem in the Tut?

And, Is that an ASAT pillow? That's pretty cool.

Thanks,
Steve

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The zipper is covered with a flap, so it's pretty much waterproof.

I'm about 6 inches from the wall when I sleep, so it's not an issue (with 2 guys anyway). When I'm solo, I'm a long way from the wall no matter what. The wall is pretty vertical in the Tut, so I can get a lot closer than I could in a tipi.

It's just an ASAT pullover shirt, but I use it as a pillow.

Thanks for the pics Aron. A few questions, if you don't mind;

How do you manage to keep your gear dry when it rains? Since the zipper opens nearly to the peak/ center of the tent, getting in or out without rain coming in seems tricky. (I had that problem with my HMG Ultamid this weekend.)

With your sleeping bag that close to the wall (due to the center pole), does condensation wet out the bag? In my HMG I ended up rigging a second pole in an inverted "V", to stay in the center, away from the sidewalls. Would this be a problem in the Tut?

And, Is that an ASAT pillow? That's pretty cool.

Thanks,
Steve

rbljack

WKR
I've only had the chance to view this in my phone from an airport but here is my initial question; i have been wanting a sawtooth for a while now. This new shelter looks interesting. From what I've read so far sawtooth has better wind performance. My question relates more to layout for 2 people. Seems that the stove in a sawtooth would be less likely to cause sleeping bag damage and the wood storage area seems to be out of the way as well. Aron after spending time in each what's your thoughts on this? I would hate to roll into that stove while it was hot and trash my badger lol.

How tall would your stove pipe need to be for the Tut? My Titanium Goat pipe is 4.5', which works well for the Megatarp annex, but maybe not long enough for this tent

The more photos I see of the Tut the more I like it. I think it would be perfect for late season two person sheep hunts and solo winter backpack/wolf hunting trips. I really like the extra usable space created by the guy outs and almost 2lbs lighter than my current winter set up.

Matt21418

Lil-Rokslider
How tall would your stove pipe need to be for the Tut? My Titanium Goat pipe is 4.5', which works well for the Megatarp annex, but maybe not long enough for this tent

I think you are gonna want at least a 8' pipe, it will be the same as the previous 4 man tipi. Here is another badass pic curtesy of Aron Snyder

e55bf42c682d00ede177df62c3be37f4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patty59

FNG
I'm torn between this and the cimarron. The cimarron has more square footage but I'm not too sure if that little extra will be that much more usable space. The price isn't that much of a difference really since Kifaru includes the pole and a stove jack. I want to guy one soon so if anyone has any insight either way it would be a big help.

G5Archer

Lil-Rokslider
I'm torn between this and the cimarron. The cimarron has more square footage but I'm not too sure if that little extra will be that much more usable space. The price isn't that much of a difference really since Kifaru includes the pole and a stove jack. I want to guy one soon so if anyone has any insight either way it would be a big help.
The Tut looks pretty good.. I have a Cimarron and it definitely has lots of room! Without the stove I can put four guys inside. I like that the Cimarron has two doors also. Makes it easy going in and out especially when using the stove. Check out the pics and small videos that are attached. Hope this helps. https://goo.gl/photos/d9opui2RU6WxoWhVA Both are good choices either way...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

patty59

FNG
The Tut looks pretty good.. I have a Cimarron and it definitely has lots of room! Without the stove I can put four guys inside. I like that the Cimarron has two doors also. Makes it easy going in and out especially when using the stove. Check out the pics and small videos that are attached. Hope this helps. https://goo.gl/photos/d9opui2RU6WxoWhVA Both are good choices either way...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thanks, that does seem like a ton of room. It's a good chunk of cash, so I want to get it right.