KIFARU TUT PYRAMID - How bad ass is it?

gelton

WKR
If you are wondering about the differences in price, check out the differences in 30d silnylon...courtesy of Snyder[video=youtube;p5VE6uv0SQM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5VE6uv0SQM[/video]

Robbie

FNG
I would like to see a side by side of the Sawtooth and the TUT. I am not seeing how the TUT has more usable room,maybe useable is in the eye of the beholder. I've only seen one Sawtooth in person and a couple of the 4 mans and thought the Sawtooth was a better setup. But I suspect I may be coparing tangerines to oranges.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would like to see a side by side of the Sawtooth and the TUT. I am not seeing how the TUT has more usable room,maybe useable is in the eye of the beholder. I've only seen one Sawtooth in person and a couple of the 4 mans and thought the Sawtooth was a better setup. But I suspect I may be coparing tangerines to oranges.
I would agree with you on the "beholder" thing.

I'll try and get some side by side shots up soon.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

PintsOfCraft

Lil-Rokslider
Fantastic thread! As the OP stated - how badass is it? Having not seen either the Sawtooth or the Tut set up, are there a few simple guidelines that someone might consider when trying to decide which suits them better? I'm sure they were each designed with different principles in mind. Obviously the Sawtooth has a mad fan base and I probably could get off easy by ordering it but the Tuts ease of setup intrigues me. Usually I set stuff up at night and easy is better on my end.

I'm a long time, SuperTarp guy, but now that I've added a hunting buddy my setup needs to be modified. Currently using a ST, Annex & Sm Box. Ideally I'd like to keep using my stove but upgrade the tent for two hunters. I'm intrigued by the Tut but would like a clearer and perhaps super simple breakdown of where the Tut & Sawtooth strengths and weaknesses lie. I personally hunt all over the US and honestly encounter more heat, rain and snow than ridiculously strong winds so the lack of that asset not a deal breaker.

Additionally, the clarity on the 30D topic was outstanding. Thanks Aron!

rbljack

WKR
I would agree with you on the "beholder" thing.

I'll try and get some side by side shots up soon.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This would be great Aron...been thinking about a sawtooth for 2016 Mule deer hunt, but now the Tut has me second guessing. I posted afew questions on page 5 related to the comparison, so maybe your side by side pics may help. My biggest concern with the tut would be burning a sleeping bag with the stove set up directly in the middle.

Matt21418

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanted to add to this, I ordered a tut the first day they were available and received it about 4 weeks later approximately mid June. Set it up this week in the yard to seam seal it. To disclose this is my second Kifaru shelter to own previously I had a paratipi that I bought used and owned only for a few months and only setup in the yard then sold due to needing something larger for me and a hunting buddy and/kiddos. The tut from a size perspective has lots of space and will easily fit me and three kiddos no problem (no stove). And with a hunting buddy and gear it will for that arrangement as well. Comparing it to the paratipi (which I see as a mini sawtooth) I really like the single pole design the double poles make it a little less flexible for configurations and moving around inside. There is definitely plenty of room to sleep right up to the edge of the tut opening up plenty of floor space in the middle for gear and what not. As of now I am only planning on September hunting and budget is tight so I won't be running a stove, maybe next year will look at adding that to my setup. Overall I am extremely pleased with the tut and can't wait to get it out and use it!

Image1467374510.955896.jpg

Image1467374523.568676.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrgreen

WKR
Got mine two days ago, just set it up about 10 minutes ago. F#%king awesome! Sets-up easier then either Sawtooth or SO BCS.

As previously stated 4 stakes and it's up.

Not quite tall enough for me to stand up, pole is set at the lowest height. I'll have to play around with the configuration some more.

Plenty of room.

I like that the stove jack material is velcroed in rather then sewn, removing it cooled the interior immediately.

It came with the guyouts already tied on, that was pretty cool.

IMG_0107-M.jpg

IMG_0108-M.jpg

IMG_0022-M.jpg

IMG_0023-M.jpg

As long as it doesn't rain tonight, I'll seam seal it and decide where I want to take it.

Felix40

WKR
That's encouraging to me that they are doing Velcro around the stove jack. I just did a vent like that and was worried about it maybe leaking. Looks like it's been proven to work by somebody at kifaru.

mrgreen

WKR
Well, I moved the stakes and now I can stand up. Still a ton of useable room. Really seems like there's no wasted space.

IMG_0030-M.jpg

IMG_0029-M.jpg

I wanted to show how much room you have between the pole and the wall.
IMG_0032-M.jpg

Not sure how clear it is, but the sides really are pretty straight up when you guy them out.
IMG_0031-M.jpg

AND....My SO Nest fits pretty good, just a little long in the back. I was surprised (first time I've laid in it) to find the sides lay against my head and feet, like being in a bivy. But, if I need a floor, and screen enclosure I'm covered.
Yes, the pun was deliberate.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Last edited:

Cledus

WKR
They look awesome, if i hadn't of just picked up a Sawtooth a while back i'd be looking into these pretty hardcore.

Shotgun

FNG
Could you post up some pictures of the SOS nest in the TUT? I've got a Cimmaron and like it , but wished it had more height and usable space like the TUT. Only reason I run the nest is for the GF or super buggy.

Last edited:

mrgreen

WKR
Could you post up some pictures of the SOS nest in the TUT? I've got a Cimmaron and like it , but wished it had more height and usable space like the TUT. Only reason I run the nest is for the GF or super buggy.

Shotgun, this weekend will be my first chance to get any pics (if even then).

But, I can tell you what I found playing around with the combination a little. I never used the nest before, it was for my daughter. She slept fine in it, but I discovered the sides lay against my head and feet. The peak height is low, only 48" for some reason. Strange since it was an option for a SO 6-Man Tipi.

I've sent an email to Bearpaw Designs re; a half-nest that makes better use of the Tut's height.

The SO nest is 48"H X 92"W X 55"D , the back sticks out a few inches, but it's silnylon rather then mesh so it may not be an issue.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Steve

Shotgun, Is there enough room for you and the GF to sleep side by side? I'm trying to decide on the Cimmaron or the Tut. I need to know if either will allow my GF and I to sleep beside each other. The middle pole being in the way is my main concern.

Last edited:

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shotgun, Is there enough room for you and the GF to sleep side by side? I'm trying to decide on the Cimmaron or the Tut. I need to know if either will allow my GF and I to sleep beside each other. The middle pole being in the way is my main concern.

Can't speak to the tut, but the Cimmaron wil certainly allow two people to sleep side by side. The double nest below has two regular width pads coupled together inside, and still leaves space between the nest and back wall.

mrgreen

WKR
Becca, that nest looks much better then the one I have, who makes it? Mine has the peak at the front, like a wedge. It leaves the space towards the back too low to use.

As far as two side-by-side in the Tut, it's 50" from the pole to the sidewall (which can be pulled out to near vertical). So considering the average pad is 20" wide it should work.

Steve