Kimber Adirondack the ultimate high country rifle?

Stid2677

WKR
Just wondering why you guys see the need to put huge scopes on ultralight rifles seems to defeat the purpose to me, just my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I can only speak for myself, but old age and bad eyes is why I choose a 16oz scope over a 11oz one.

Jimbob

WKR
Just wondering why you guys see the need to put huge scopes on ultralight rifles seems to defeat the purpose to me, just my opinion.

Probably because they want the benefits of increased light gathering and higher magnification.

oldlogger

FNG
I guess that makes sense but I use a 2x7 leupold on my Montana. Again just my opinion., 16 ounce scope I could see but 24 ounce no way. To each his own.

6.5x284

WKR
So true if I had to do it all over again I would just get a used Montana and drop it in a aftermarket stock and swap out the bolt handle and trigger guard and end up with a 4.25 pound rifle for the cost of a Kimber Mountain Ascent.

I am curious what aftermarket stock you would get to bring it down in weight? I picked up a used MT in 280 AI and like the factory stock, but weighed it at 31 oz. Gun still weighs 5lb 9oz with everything factory though which I thought was light.

OP
B

Swaro z3 4-12x50 is 15 oz's. To me it's the best comprise of magnification, light gathering, ballistic turret, but also relatively light weight. You get the best of most worlds.

oenanthe

WKR
So true if I had to do it all over again I would just get a used Montana and drop it in a aftermarket stock and swap out the bolt handle and trigger guard and end up with a 4.25 pound rifle for the cost of a Kimber Mountain Ascent.

Can you help a guy out here? What stock would you swap to save significant weight over the stock stock?
And where can I find a bolt handle?

I've already got a well-used Montana! :D

oenanthe

WKR
Most hunts I don't pack my spotting scope- too much weight. And I carry 10 power binos- save on weight. So I use my optic to spot at 24 power if needed and to judge my animals. My overall weight savings is so significant this route that the extra ounces in scope weight is beyond negligible. A bad back will do that to a guy...

Not sure what your scope weighs, but my VX2 UL weighs about 8 oz., and my Nikon ED50 weighs 20 oz. and gives me up to 40x.

What's the field of view on your scope at 24x? Honest question - I don't know how it compares to a spotter but it's a question that comes to mind.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Not sure what your scope weighs, but my VX2 UL weighs about 8 oz., and my Nikon ED50 weighs 20 oz. and gives me up to 40x.

What's the field of view on your scope at 24x? Honest question - I don't know how it compares to a spotter but it's a question that comes to mind.
I like your style!! I would much rather than a designated spotting scope than a giant 24 oz scope on a UL rifle. Especially since it'll be MUCH more steady on a tripod.

Ha! I mean it ain't great, but using the scope works. I use a monopod to spot with the rifle and to hook up my binos. All said and done I save just shy of 4 lbs by ditching my spotter. I still take it sometimes though, it depends on the hunt. Tool for the job, so to speak. Mike deer in the breaks- spotter. Elk in the Front or Little Belts- scope. High country mule deer and black bear- half and half. It really depends. I'm not saying I never take it, but I really consider just how necessary it is before I do

Curious what aftermarket stock you are speaking of?

Fireguy

WKR
Adirondack in 6.5 CM, is what I used last year, great setup for all the reasons you mentioned.

P8220383_zpsbsomfiuz.jpg

P8150147_zpsj5r02q0u.jpg

Are you using the muzzle break on your hunts? How is the muzzle blast with and without it with such a short barrel?

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to all of the guys chiming in on the caliber suggestion. 7-08 seems like the way to go. I think if it were in a longer barrel rifle and I was setting it up for longer precision shots, the 6.5 would make sense, but 500 and in in the 18" barrel, I think the 7-08 will eventually get the nod.

Back to my original question as well. Is there any other production rifle that rivals the Adirondack for what I am looking for?

Remington model 7 is a bit heavier but similar. I have the older version in a 6mm and that has a 18.5 inch barrel. I will weigh it tonight. It's a dream to carry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stid2677

WKR
Are you using the muzzle break on your hunts? How is the muzzle blast with and without it with such a short barrel?

I do use it for hunts, if you are very near the ground I get some dirt and gravel kicked up. I run the brake to help with accuracy and having tried both with and without, mine is more accurate with less muzzle flip with the brake.

Fireguy

WKR
I do use it for hunts, if you are very near the ground I get some dirt and gravel kicked up. I run the brake to help with accuracy and having tried both with and without, mine is more accurate with less muzzle flip with the brake.

Thanks for the info. I'm assuming you just bring some ear pro with you.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Remington model 7 is a bit heavier but similar. I have the older version in a 6mm and that has a 18.5 inch barrel. I will weigh it tonight. It's a dream to carry

I have a Model Seven in 7 SAUM and love it.

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
I have no sheep hunting experience but brush country, Montana mountains, and plains hunts. I always felt that the short barrel left me at a disadvantage and a 24 inch pencil barrel in something like a 6.5-284 would be the best. You guys all have me thinking about this more