Knee Pads

In the market for a new hunting pant, and as I get into my 40s I have it in my head that knee pads in hunting pants would be a nice addition for western hunting (mostly archery elk but some rifle elk and deer). Never used them before though. Have primarily hunted in Kuiu Attack pants. Do they add a lot? There have definitely been times when they would have made it a bit more comfortable kneeling behind cover, but I can also see how they’d be a PITA hiking around with one more layer of something on your legs. Curious on others thoughts/experiences.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I wore Stone Glacier DH Lites with knee pads in them last fall and really liked them. They never felt like a hindrance. After about 15 minutes of wearing them I didn’t even notice the knee pads being there anymore.

I am definitely buying the SG DH Lites prior to fall. The contour waist and knee pad compatibility are cool features. I have not run knee pads on hunting pants, but I have on uniform pants and I'm a pretty big fan.

Kuiu Attack Pro, the idea of knee pads is really lame until you kneel down on a rock or a cactus.... they are a game changer in my book I dont get hunting pants without them now.

Kuiu pros are good. Sitka is better IMO. If you go stand alone pads, arcteryx knee caps are the way to go but I don’t love them for long walks.

*zap*

WKR
I wear them everyday.

I recommend a pant with an exterior knee pad pocket if you can find that.

Last edited:
OP
Radosilver
I’ve tried on the Kuiu Pro. I like the pants. But my legs are 2 inches too short for them. The knee pads sit just a touch too low. I’m leaning toward ordering a pair of Sitka Mountain and SG De Havilland Lites and keeping the one that fits best. Any others anyone really loves?

wyogoat

WKR
I don’t think you'll notice the knee pads at all. I only wear pants with pads now as most of my bow shots are set up to take from kneeling. I have two models of the Kuiu’s where the knee pads are pretty thin but my favorite hunting pants were the Sitka pants that had really thick knee pads and I never noticed them at all hiking and backpack archery hunts are my focus…
I have a crush on the SG DH Lite pants and the knee pad is the main selling point to me.

I have Sitka Timberlines and like them so much I don't feel a need to look elsewhere. I will say they are a little warm early season however.

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
They are a GAME CHANGER when you’re cutting up an animal and you’re on one/two knees for an hour+ at a time.
Love my timberlines!!!

OP
Radosilver
I have Sitka Timberlines and like them so much I don't feel a need to look elsewhere. I will say they are a little warm early season however.
Do you wear these in archery season as well? And, if you know, how do they compare with the Mountain pants from a temperature standpoint? The Timberline look like great pants, but I tend to run hot. Attack is about as heavy as I like to go in September. I haven’t worn the Mountain pants but have tried them on in the store and they strike me as similar in weight to the Attack…maybe a touch heavier.

Bobcat

Lil-Rokslider
In September (eastern OR) I mainly wear my Sitka Mt pants unless it’s gonna be real wet then I’ll wear timberlines. I don’t wear my attacks hunting because of the lack of kneepads.

I do wish the mountain pants had side zips.

Do you wear these in archery season as well? And, if you know, how do they compare with the Mountain pants from a temperature standpoint? The Timberline look like great pants, but I tend to run hot. Attack is about as heavy as I like to go in September. I haven’t worn the Mountain pants but have tried them on in the store and they strike me as similar in weight to the Attack…maybe a touch heavier.
The Timberline pants are a little too warm for me during archery season. I have no experience with the Mountain pant but, want to give them a try. From what I've read, I think they will also be too warm for most of the early season. I've tried the Sitka Ascent pants some and found them fairly comfortable. Like some of the previous folks have said, I would like to have a pant with a specific design to functionally dump heat.

In the market for a new hunting pant, and as I get into my 40s I have it in my head that knee pads in hunting pants would be a nice addition for western hunting (mostly archery elk but some rifle elk and deer). Never used them before though. Have primarily hunted in Kuiu Attack pants. Do they add a lot? There have definitely been times when they would have made it a bit more comfortable kneeling behind cover, but I can also see how they’d be a PITA hiking around with one more layer of something on your legs. Curious on others thoughts/experiences.
I use the preacher pants from King's and I love them.

ruralsoup

FNG
Does anyone use Arc'teryx Knee Caps? They seem like they were really popular a few years ago.