Knight ultra lite

Singleshot

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking of getting the ultra lite, but are they really worth the money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ENCORE

WKR
Money isn't the issue IMO when it comes to great firearms. If you want a light weight muzzleloader, its a good one that many like. The 1:20 twist 45cal will shoot.

OP
S

Singleshot

Lil-Rokslider
Is the 45 really better than a 50?

ENCORE

WKR
Is the 45 really better than a 50?

Yes, for a number of reasons. The only issue with a 45cal, is that some states require at minimum a 50cal for some species.

A 50cal just can't compete for overall accuracy and long range accuracy that a 45cal with a fast twist will. Every major inline muzzleloader competition has been won by 45cal rifles for last few years.
You can totally eliminate the weakest link, the sabot, by shooting bullet to bore with a 45cal and many choices of bullets are available. There is a slight increase in cost for equipment, such as a bullet sizing die, which allows you to size your land riding bullets precisely to your specific bore.

I shot an 50cal Ultimate BP Express for about 6 yrs and yes, the accuracy was good. However it wasn't consistent 100% of the time. Warm weather wrecks havoc when shooting sabots and you MUST let the barrel cool between rounds. I finally got tired of all the negatives and am now shooting a 45cal. I don't have to wait 10 to 15 minutes between shots now.

If the these things don't make a difference, or you're only shooting shots at 100yds, there's probably not much gain with a 45 over a 50. Its when you end up wanting more, that the 45cal excells.

I'd say it depends on where you will be hunting aka if you have to comply with Western laws.?
I really wanted to go 45 cal but there are zero or close to it readily available 45 Oregon legal bullets.

But yes my ultralite shoots much more accurately then my cva did.
But it's also much harder to clean.

If your not looking to comply with western laws I think there is plenty of great options.

And if you're not going to be packing it far aka midwest hunter to the stand I look at the mountaineer its heavier (less recoil) and cheaper.
And is the same action and barrel.

OP
S

Singleshot

Lil-Rokslider
I’m hunting in the East so there are virtually no restrictions, but I do cover a lot of ground so I want something relatively light.

I love my Knight UL. Whether or not it’s worth the money is hard to say. I think I liked my Encore Pro hunter just as much. I have a Traditions G4 UL and I like it too. I have not used it as much but it’s easier to clean.

OP
S

Singleshot

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately where I live no one sells the knight so I can’t put my hands on one, I have an encore with the Katahdin barrel but really think the bolt action feel of the knight would be more like my deer rifle.

I like the break action better for ease of cleaning and placing a primer. I’m not sure if there is any actual benefit to the bolt design. I don’t mind it but it’s more work than a simple break action.

ENCORE

WKR
I like the break action better for ease of cleaning and placing a primer. I’m not sure if there is any actual benefit to the bolt design. I don’t mind it but it’s more work than a simple break action.

Bolt actions will generally be more accurate than break open rifles. Hinge lockup is critical for any accuracy, especially at longer ranges.

GMC

Lil-Rokslider
Not to completely highjack this thread but will the older knights with the plunger ( mk85) still hang with the newer bolts? Or are the newer ones just that much more accurate?

ENCORE

WKR
Not to completely highjack this thread but will the older knights with the plunger ( mk85) still hang with the newer bolts? Or are the newer ones just that much more accurate?

No and yes. The plunger rifles should never shoot BH209, where the new bolts shoot it excellent. The .50cal riflle won't hold up to the accuracy of the .45cal. Yeah I know, someone going to say that they have this real accurate 50cal rifle. They will never be as consistent as a 45cal shooting bullet to bore bullets.
All one has to do, is to review the accuracy reports with inline muzzleloaders in competitions, and you'll quickly identify very few, other than a new shooter, shoots a 50cal. Yes, the 45 is that much better. However...... know that some state's hunting laws may not allow .45cal rifles, even with .450" bullets.

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
Great muzzleloader , easy to use in all aspects and well built . Modified front and rear sights helped make it even better.

Yes there worth the money! But the 50 cal kicks like a sumbitch I ended up shaving part of the stock down on mine to run the Williams FP sight and it works great!
fb03e8a875c52271acbca3f0b14bfdb1.jpg

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
Jordon , I see you were ale to get your FP and get it mounted . Do you have any more pics ? Looks like its a straight up factory install.

🤑 my dad has a mk85 that I took my first deer with in Iowa in the early 90’s. It’s a shooter, dad took a deer during MO rifle season with it. We had to modify the bolt. But that was his fault on not getting it back together and losing it.
My TC Encore is good for 150 to 200 depending on weather conditions. But since changing to bh209 for the encore it’s tightened up the groups but I will still limit it to 200yds.
That knight ul 45 is on my radar and keep the tc for back up or a gun for friends to come and enjoy the smoking fun!

Unfortunately where I live no one sells the knight so I can’t put my hands on one, I have an encore with the Katahdin barrel but really think the bolt action feel of the knight would be more like my deer rifle.

That is what I like about mine.aside from well made I like that it carries like my Kimber Montana 308