Kodiak Reports?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
So from the perspective of this year’s hunters, Did the decrease from 3 to 1 deer for NR hunters have much of an affect? Or maybe when this regulation change took place earlier this year, it was too late for NRs to change plans. Maybe there will be more impact to NR hunter numbers in future years.
You know, I’ve hunted deer on Kodiak 7 years out of the last 10 and I’ve never seen another person. I’ve never taken more than one deer either; used to buy two tags so I could keep hunting and look for something exceptional. Not really sure how many NR go to Kodiak to slaughter as many as are allowed on a meat gathering mission. I do hope it deters the folks looking for that. It’s unfortunate that restriction is just for the non resident…

Uh, no it's not. Most people in the lower 49 have a lot of other deer options with limits greater than one. Filling the freezer is an important for a lot of us, and for most of us, deer access isn't all that easy.
Agree, I am always for residents taking priority, and appreciate any states that take care of their residents first, but even more so in Ak, one of the last places that many people have appreciation for living off the land (subsistence)

gbflyer

WKR
Uh, no it's not. Most people in the lower 49 have a lot of other deer options with limits greater than one. Filling the freezer is an important for a lot of us, and for most of us, deer access isn't all that easy.

Got that right. Pics of blacktail on the back of a quad or in the bed of a truck make me jealous

DMurphy

FNG
We are looking to hunt with Larsen Bay Lodge at the beginning of season- first week of August. Anyone hunt with them that time of the year? Are they a viable option then or are they to be considered only when the deer have started making their way down to lower elevation?

DMurphy

FNG
I was concerned about spoilage that time of the year. If we are up there for a week and kill a deer the first day, seems risky.