Kowa 77 vs Swaro ats 65

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm debating this as well. Almost pulled the trigger on a 77 this weekend. I just figured it's a lot easier to get my money back out of a Swaro. I really wish Swaro would offer a competitor to a Kowa 55.
Are you basing having to sell it in your decision? Not hard to sell a Kowa these days, at least the 77, 88 and 55 series. Odd men out are the 66s and 82s. If you want to sell something you have to realize that the nature watching community is decades ahead of the hunting community on how good the Kowa stuff is. Always a market for good glass.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Just curious, why the constant comparison of the kowa 77 vs. the swaro ats 65. The kowa has a nearly 20% larger objective. Why not compare it to the ats 80. That would seem to be a more fair comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weight wise it is similar to the ATS 80. Size wise in your pack it's closer to the 65. Price wise it's about $700 cheaper than the ATS 80 and has a better eyepiece. Common knowledge that the Swaro eyepieces don't use HD glass, the Kowa does. 77 series is even cheaper than the Swaro 65 series, and loses nothing optically to either.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think another thing that makes it an attractive option is being able to add the extender to the 77/88 . On the Swaro side you have to get the ATX/STX to do that.

I wish Kowa would just make a ~65 that’s compatible with their WA prominar eyepiece already. It would be a killer set up if it weighs ~48 oz.

Trial153

WKR
The 55 is in my future. I can see dumping my ats for saving half the weight.
Now i just need the right deal to come my way

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
Are you basing having to sell it in your decision? Not hard to sell a Kowa these days, at least the 77, 88 and 55 series. Odd men out are the 66s and 82s. If you want to sell something you have to realize that the nature watching community is decades ahead of the hunting community on how good the Kowa stuff is. Always a market for good glass.

I do consider resale in my purchases. Maybe I shouldn't but I like to try new gear all the time and get a lot of pleasure out of researching items. Currently I'm leaning towards the 77. I like the weight, physical construction and looks of the Swaro though.

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious, why the constant comparison of the kowa 77 vs. the swaro ats 65. The kowa has a nearly 20% larger objective. Why not compare it to the ats 80. That would seem to be a more fair comparison.

I think people compare it because of the price point being so close. That's why I'm comparing them at least.

OP
M
i.php

i.php

Here's a couple pics from the 77 with a phone.

OP
M
What range and mag on those pics? Look good btw.

Not very far and that's the 25x.
I've got video starting at 60x showing just his nose and zoom out to 25. It's kinda cool but I dont know how to post vids.

mcseal2

WKR
I just sold my Swaro ATS 80 after a season with the Kowa 55mm. I have grown to love my Swaro 15x binos on a tripod and use the spotter less for finding game, more for evaluating it anymore. The smaller FOV of the little Kowa isn't an issue there. It's an ideal spotter for my needs and I couldn't justify keeping the 80mm Swaro around just for use on the window mount occasionally.

nrh6.7

WKR
I just sold my Swaro ATS 80 after a season with the Kowa 55mm. I have grown to love my Swaro 15x binos on a tripod and use the spotter less for finding game, more for evaluating it anymore. The smaller FOV of the little Kowa isn't an issue there. It's an ideal spotter for my needs and I couldn't justify keeping the 80mm Swaro around just for use on the window mount occasionally.

This is how I envision using a spotter as well. I have 12's that'll do most of the work and bring out the spotter occasionally.

Bigandy

FNG
Looking for comparisons between kowa tsn 774 vs vortex razor hd 16x48x65. I had the razor out this weekend and wasn't that impressed. I thought the razor was not much better than my 15x56 slc's.

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
I was trying to decide between these two as well but a friend gave me a good deal on a sts65 i couldn’t pass up. And it’s so small and light I don’t mind giving up a little in optics to the 77 when I’m packing it around. Really can’t go wrong either way imo

tdhanses

WKR
Looking for comparisons between kowa tsn 774 vs vortex razor hd 16x48x65. I had the razor out this weekend and wasn't that impressed. I thought the razor was not much better than my 15x56 slc's.

Razor is a Ford Mustang while Kowa is a Ferrari.

Bigandy

FNG
Well, I'm no fan of fords. Maybe that's why I'm not impressed with the razor. I was able to get the razor for about $850. Any recommendations on where to purchase a kowa tsn 774 for a decent price? Cameraland's price is about $2100 with the eyepiece .