Kryptek Norlander Merino Wool Gloves- Anyone Tried them?

twall13

WKR
So I typically wear either no glove or just a thin liner type glove for most of my hunting. Most gloves just feel to bulky and impede my dexterity. It's looking like I might have a last minute pheasant hunt in South Dakota this December. Having hunted there in late October/early November in the past, I know I'm going to want a thicker glove to keep my hands warm while lugging around a shotgun. I'm interested in Kryptek's Norlander Merino Wool Glove but I can't seem to find any reviews on it anywhere. Anybody have any experience with it they would be willing to share? How bulky is it? How warm is it? Does it stay fairly warm when wet? I'd love some feedback on this. Thanks.

I can't believe I'd be the only one interested in a review on these... Bump to see if anyone has used them and can give opinions.

I considered picking up a pair of these - so I would be interested in any reviews as well, but I decided to hold off for now as I have spent way too much money already on gear for my first hunt. I am impressed by other kryptek gear that I have purchased, although some of their sizing seems to be a little hit or miss.

My brother has the krypton gloves and loves them. I tried them on and I'm a fan as well. When I wear out the liner pair I'm currently using I'll buy those as well. That's a big part of why I'm interested in these.

Last edited:
I have them and they rock! Warm and comfortable and great feel.

I think my question is do they $80 rock? Since they are merino I don't see a mention of water protection. What temps do you think they will keep you comfortable in when sitting and glassing?

Merino isn't all that durable in the first place. Pair that with gloves and don't expect them to last more than a year. I bought a set of the Kuiu merino gloves off a classified site that had not been worn. They lasted a year and have a lot of holes in the fingers and I haven't worn them much. No experience with the Kryptek but light Merino gloves aren't going to be durable.

I wear Mechanix gloves for pheasant hunting, even in December.

Merino isn't all that durable in the first place. Pair that with gloves and don't expect them to last more than a year. I bought a set of the Kuiu merino gloves off a classified site that had not been worn. They lasted a year and have a lot of holes in the fingers and I haven't worn them much. No experience with the Kryptek but light Merino gloves aren't going to be durable.

I wear Mechanix gloves for pheasant hunting, even in December.

I appreciate the input. It's true, lightweight merino liner type gloves aren't very durable and wear out pretty quickly. I tend to run through a cheap pair per year but I do like them for jogging in the winter, I can feel the difference compared to other gloves. My hands stay warm without sweating. The Kryptek Norlander Merino gloves, however, are not a liner glove. They are a thicker glove with a bit of insulation so I think they should be a bit more durable. Still, at $80 a pair I'd like to know what I'm getting since I can't find a retailer stocking them to try them on prior to purchase...

I don't think I would be comfortable with Mechanix gloves for pheasants in December... I guess not living there year round like you I haven't built up a tolerance for that type of cold. I've run into a few blizzards in early November hunts there that definitely had me wanting something warmer than my liner gloves...

I just can't stand trying to handle a shotgun with bulky gloves. I can grudgingly do it on the forearm but not the trigger hand. The weather can usually is all over in Dec. Might throw in a pair of the Mechanix gloves and if it ins't windy and bitter you will likely get along ok. They are cheap enough.

I hate wearing gloves but no one likes cold hands either.. I switched to bison wool half finger gloves and love them they also have bison/merino blends for a softer feel but the bison gloves are boom proof and super warm

That's interesting as I can never seem to understand the half finger gloves. For me at least, my fingertips are what get cold, numb and stiff so it just never made sense to have gloves that left the fingertips exposed. I guess it would make sense that if the blood was warmed in the rest of the hand, the fingertips might still stay warm when exposed. Is this what you find to be true?

I used to have an old no name brand of fingerless gloves but I also felt like they defeated the purpose of a glove for me. Maybe I have poor circulation but my fingertips are what tend to get cold first on my hands. I also agree with Jmez that I hate handling a shotgun with bulky gloves. I've tried the left hand with a full on winter glove and the trigger hand with a midweight glove but even that drives me crazy. Still, at some point, holding a cold gun with my hand exposed to the cold elements all of the time, it becomes worth it to deal with slightly thicker gloves. Liner gloves aren't typically a problem for me, it's the thicker ones that impede dexterity and feel through them...

Last edited:
That's interesting as I can never seem to understand the half finger gloves. For me at least, my fingertips are what get cold, numb and stiff so it just never made sense to have gloves that left the fingertips exposed. I guess it would make sense that if the blood was warmed in the rest of the hand, the fingertips might still stay warm when exposed. Is this what you find to be true?

For me for extended sits in extreme cold I'm gonna have my hands tucked in a pocket. But bare hands will go numb the moment you grip a frozen now riser. Moving they are perfect because I can easy access my pack zippers, phone, gps, optics and not have to remove anything and when I'm moving the blood is moving enough to keep your hands warm. I guess for guys doing hours of glassine you'd want your fingers covered but I'm scanning for only a few moments at a time

Fair enough. As with most things, it comes down to personal preference and what works for one person may not work for someone else.

Back