KSFNG

wabash503

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be honest... Most forums I've joined are just giant arguments every day, so I wasn't expecting a whole lot when I started reading on RS. But then I realized this place is pretty different, in a good way.

People genuinely try to help each other, haven't seen a lot of immature or argumentative posts, and folks will even let you borrow their gear if you live nearby. Pretty darn cool.

Back to the info I was looking for...I got bit hard by long range shooting and elk hunting last year.

After 20 years in the Army and talking about going on an elk hunt with my father, we finally made it happen last year. Before the hunt though, we made a trip down to Badlands Tactical in OK for a long range shooting course because our guides said to be ready for shots out to 600, and my father had taken/recommended the course. Had a blast getting to know our rifles and ammo, and that turned into a really great hunt. I didn't end needing all those skills from OK (75 yard shot) but my father did (475 yards).

Since getting back from that hunt, I've really fallen in love with long range shooting and reconfigured the contents of my gun safe around it. The rifle I used on the hunt was an AR10 platform (308 w/ 18" barrel) capable of 1 MOA with 168 gr hunting loads... Better with match grade BTHP. But I started chasing greater accuracy, and switched out my black gun for some bolt guns.

Now I've got a 6 ARC built by crown ridge barrel works (good work, great prices) and a 6.5 Creed, that I built myself from a Howa carbon fiber barreled action. Both are sub .5 moa with factoryammo. Just getting into reloading them... And excited about that as well.

But...like the thread I read yesterday, I have an itch that needs to be scratched again, except instead of thar, for me it's elk. Rather than wait another 20 years to go again, my father and I are already planning another trip in 2025. And this time I want to go with a purpose built elk rifle. I prefer light recoil for the shooting advantages it provides, but also want to carry 1700 ft-lbs to 500y, in an efficient cartridge design, 160-170 grain bullets (like ABLR or VLD), and not have much trouble reloading/ finding components.

I've looked pretty hard at the 270/6.8 options and 7mm options, and I've settled on 7mm as they carry energy down range more efficiently. In particular my short list includes 280 AI, 7 SAW, and 284 WIN. But I haven't really been able to find all the details to be comfortable enough to move forward with buying a new barrel and getting it chambered.

Would love to get some feedback from guys running those rounds based on my desired performance specs above. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back