Kuiu Icon Pro 7200 vs. Kifaru EMR

kodiakfly

WKR
EMRII. I'm not a Kuiu guy, but I do think the bags you have selected are different animals. Not gonna bash Kuiu, but I just think the Kifaru is a superb product.

I dont want to offend anyone but ive tried the exo and the icon pro and im sold on the icon lro , it carries weight better than any other pack ive ever used for a light weight pack , I was trully impressed

adirondak5

Lil-Rokslider
I dont want to offend anyone but ive tried the exo and the icon pro and im sold on the icon lro , it carries weight better than any other pack ive ever used for a light weight pack , I was trully impressed

I also tried the Exo 3500 and the Icon pro 5200 , I am sticking with the Exo , but gotta honestly say the Icon Pro was almost the winner for me , I thought it was a good solid pack and almost went with it . Packs are such a personal thing to each person that there is really no telling somebody what the best pack for them will be , I've seen some praise every pack mentioned and some curse every pack mentioned , you just gotta find the one thats right for you imo

I don't think it is. I would bet it's a 2013... That is the EXACT same place mine broke. Actually thought it was my photo till I zoomed in on it.

BPH

FNG
Whats the story behind the busted ICON?

Long story short...
Sold my MR to save a few lbs, picked up the Kuiu
Went on a sheep hunt, shot a ram, with a very light pack, I put 1 meat bag in it the horns n cape
My buddy took the rest of the meat. I lifted the bag n pop...
Broke bag
But with some fast thinking made it last for 4 more days while we kept looking for rams
It would have been a lot worst if my friend didn't pick up the slack, as I couldn't carry as much as I should have .

BPH

FNG
Yes this is a 2013 frame
But compared to a mystery ranch, it's junk!

backpackhunter

Weekender

WKR
Yes this is a 2013 frame
But compared to a mystery ranch, it's junk!

backpackhunter

Think most are aware of the past problems with the older frames but the topic of this tread was about the new pack which is completely different.

Kotaman

WKR
Think most are aware of the past problems with the older frames but the topic of this tread was about the new pack which is completely different.

Yes, the Icon Pro is a different animal from previous KUIU packs. IMO they finally got the pack thing right. Is it a Kifaru? NO, but at half the price, it is a serious contender especially for the price conscious shopper. If KUIU would beef up the waist belt and buckle they would REALLY be a serious contender.

Tiger Rag

WKR
I had a 2013 7200 and really didn't like it particularly well. Once loaded, the 7200 just felt too saggy and floppy. I thought the material was a little too limp that even when compressed it didn't offer enough resistance. It seems like the addressed that this year on the Pro though with a 500 denier vs the 180 (I think) they used last year. 500D seems to be fairly standard in the industry on lighter weight packs. I know Eberlestock stated they used 1000D because of the minimal difference in weight over 500D that helped make their stuff bombproof. 500D seems like the minimum for my personal liking. I should also mention that part of the floppiness was certainly the frame. I think Kuiu stated that the frame "moves with you". That may work for some, but I thought if felt like a friggin' wet noodle on my back, I hated that feeling. Worse than any older, much less expensive pack that I have had. I feel like I got duped as an unpaid or unrewarded beta tester. As mentioned prior - how many generations is it going to take before they get it right?

I have an EMR II now and while I think there is still room for improvement, it is far and away superior than the 2013 Kuiu. Maybe they got it right this year, but who knows. It kind of whooped me off their products. Who wants to pay them to test their products for them after all? I'll continue to wear the clothing I have of theirs and I still have the Zamberlan Pamirs and like them very well, but as far as packs, tents, sleeping bags, etc, I'll leave those to the specialty companies.

FYI, I design and manufacture products in a totally different market but I make damn sure they have the bugs worked out before they hit the market or I pull them if I miscalculate. I give significant discounts to my beta testers to help me assure I have them right before hitting the market.

Kotaman

WKR
I had a 2013 7200 and really didn't like it particularly well. Once loaded, the 7200 just felt too saggy and floppy. I thought the material was a little too limp that even when compressed it didn't offer enough resistance. It seems like the addressed that this year on the Pro though with a 500 denier vs the 180 (I think) they used last year. 500D seems to be fairly standard in the industry on lighter weight packs. I know Eberlestock stated they used 1000D because of the minimal difference in weight over 500D that helped make their stuff bombproof. 500D seems like the minimum for my personal liking. I should also mention that part of the floppiness was certainly the frame. I think Kuiu stated that the frame "moves with you". That may work for some, but I thought if felt like a friggin' wet noodle on my back, I hated that feeling. Worse than any older, much less expensive pack that I have had. I feel like I got duped as an unpaid or unrewarded beta tester. As mentioned prior - how many generations is it going to take before they get it right?

I have an EMR II now and while I think there is still room for improvement, it is far and away superior than the 2013 Kuiu. Maybe they got it right this year, but who knows. It kind of whooped me off their products. Who wants to pay them to test their products for them after all? I'll continue to wear the clothing I have of theirs and I still have the Zamberlan Pamirs and like them very well, but as far as packs, tents, sleeping bags, etc, I'll leave those to the specialty companies.

FYI, I design and manufacture products in a totally different market but I make damn sure they have the bugs worked out before they hit the market or I pull them if I miscalculate. I give significant discounts to my beta testers to help me assure I have them right before hitting the market.

I don't mind being their "beta tester"...Have you seen what people pay for used KUIU on ebay? I actually sold two of the previous generation packs for more than what I paid for them! :eek:

Tiger Rag

WKR
I don't mind being their "beta tester"...Have you seen what people pay for used KUIU on ebay? I actually sold two of the previous generation packs for more than what I paid for them! :eek:

Seems silly their packs would earn more on ebay when their packs are always in stock because they don't fly off the shelf. I lost about $200 on mine. Not really the point though, "my" disappointment with their product is. I guess I had 90 days to return it though....although only way for me to test it is to really use it and I don't think they take returns unless it is in like new and resellable condition.

Kotaman

WKR
Seems silly their packs would earn more on ebay when their packs are always in stock because they don't fly off the shelf. I lost about $200 on mine. Not really the point though, "my" disappointment with their product is. I guess I had 90 days to return it though....although only way for me to test it is to really use it and I don't think they take returns unless it is in like new and resellable condition.

You're right about that policy and it is a dumb one at best. The early first couple of generation packs flew off the shelfs and my timing was perfect. I actually made over $100 on a gen 1 icon AND a gen 2 1800 w/o the frame! I've got my Icon Pro on Ebay right now and it is looking like I am going to lose a little on that one, but it isn't over yet!

To be honest, I never mind trying new things with KUIU because the stuff in general holds value due to supply and demand. As long as I continue to "come out" on their stuff, I will keep on "testing"...

BPH

FNG

The point is Kuiu has put out a lot of junk,
If that's ok then buy them up... I will never buy another 1 of there packs,
Even if mind didn't brake, I was going back to mystery ranch because Kuiu is not for
hard mtn hunting, they just don't cut it...

But thanks for ur little remark,
Next time ur in AB give me a call I got a hero cookie for u

Oh by the way, how many rams have you shot?