Kuiu storm star or Stone Glacier skyscraper?

Which of these 4 season freestanding tents do you prefer? Going on a CO high country mule deer hunt mid-September.

ianpadron

WKR
Both are massive overkill for a September hunt anywhere but AK.

The Mountain Star would be a better option than both imho

For September hunts you can't beat a lightweight tarp setup

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I don’t know anything about the Kuiu tents other then they had a very leaky launch. The Skyscraper gives you tons of options on how to set it up; you can set it up with just the fly and a flat ground tarp, a bathtub floor, or with a mesh nest. It doesn’t always have to be a bombproof 4 season setup

OP
Zekeworldwide
Both are massive overkill for a September hunt anywhere but AK.

The Mountain Star would be a better option than both imho

For September hunts you can't beat a lightweight tarp setup

I was thinking a 3 season or less with this hunt but I keep seeing all these “freak” storms in September in the high country. I’m sure I’m just being paranoid... of course this is probably a standard deal with us greenhorn eastern boys lol. Thanks for the advice and I do like the weight savings of the mountain star. As for the tarp setup, I don’t think I’m quite ready for that hahaha. I know it’s just nylon fabric, but a tent gives me more peace of mind, especially in high winds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Zekeworldwide
I don’t know anything about the Kuiu tents other then they had a very leaky launch. The Skyscraper gives you tons of options on how to set it up; you can set it up with just the fly and a flat ground tarp, a bathtub floor, or with a mesh nest. It doesn’t always have to be a bombproof 4 season setup

Good points on the Skyscraper! Thanks

OP
Zekeworldwide
Just ordered the mountain star. Thanks for the help!

socoalt

WKR
I only have experience with the storm star. It has been great for me, I purchased the foot print with it so I can have the option of just running the rain fly and save weight on carrying the innards. Still not as light as a tarp but if you want the piece of mind in case of weather it’s not a bad way to go. When I bought mine they gave you an option of carbon poles or aluminum poles. I opted for aluminum and wish I had gotten the carbon. The aluminum are a little heavier (only ounces) and they bent into the shape of the tent after the first use. Doesn’t effect the functionality at all but some people may be bothered by it. I haven’t been through any crazy storms with it and has so far been overkill for me, but it has served me well and I don’t foresee getting rid of it.

2-Stix

WKR
my only issue with the new MH tents is they are more tub less rain fly, which works great for ventilation and weight but Ive gotten alot blow in rain on my Ghost
Yes. Its a 2.5-3 season tent for sure, but I am talking about 4 season tents.. The single wall BD are hardcore and MH. I come from mountaineering and backpacking and most of the time run that gear.

Last edited:

mcseal2

WKR
My Storm Star kept me dry through some wicked weather on Kodiak Island last year. We camped for a week in November. I agree it's overkill for your use, but it's a great tent.

A cheap option of similar weight is the North Face Stormbreak 2. It's held up to some wicked winds and rains on open sandbars when I camp and catfish the river. My boat gets to carry it though, not my back. It's a good tent for any normal storm. The Mountain Star is probably stronger and it's much lighter.

I just got a Durston X Mid 1 for when I need something light but want a bug net. For later seasons without bugs I still have a Megatarp I like with a stove.

OP
Zekeworldwide
Just got my KUIU Mountains Star and they forgot to include the carbon poles. I’m not sure how ya forget something like that on a tent order lol. I just sent them an email and hopefully they will make things right. Very frustrating!

Just got my KUIU Mountains Star and they forgot to include the carbon poles. I’m not sure how ya forget something like that on a tent order lol. I just sent them an email and hopefully they will make things right. Very frustrating!

Did you get your poles?

OP
Zekeworldwide
Sure did. I received them a week later and they credited $100 to my account.

Tent is very nice and easy to set up. Hope to test it out in a storm soon.