L.E. UTAH manti archery elk

I can't believe I will FINALLY hunt the state of Utah. Have any of you ever hunted the central mountains of the Manti? Would love to hear your experiences. Thanks,

Wade

amp713

WKR
Utah local but havent hunted there. I do see some good animals come out of there though.

trdhunter

WKR
Congrats on the tag. I have hunted the area for deer and during the general spike elk hunts. I have helped a few friends with LE elk hunts. It is a big unit. The elk tend to bounce around a bit depending on where the pressure is. I am most familiar with the north end of the unit. There are some nice bulls to be found in some of the not so nice areas to access. If you have specific questions I can try to help or give you some places to start.

CA Karen

Lil-Rokslider
I know the southern area fairly well but won't be up more then likely till a couple of weeks before General Muzzy deer hunt. Get some maps and start asking questions.

OP
A
Thanks guys, I'll stay in contact when I get maps to learn more about the unit.

john3237

FNG
Hunted Manti a lot over the past 20 years. Archery is good if you get away from the roads, and I mean AWAY. There a lots of sheep herds on the mountain and they move continually. This pressures the elk to move also. my experience has been that when you look over the country, after knowing where the roads are, ask yourself how far can I get from the roads... that is where you want to go.

With the rain this spring, I don't think water will be in short supply, but if we have a real dry summer, then water will be your friend. There is water in most of the canyons and in the past, trail cams have been on nearly every water hole and tank on the unit... If you have to pick a time during the hunt, Id focus on the last half of the hunt. Bulls may start to act rutty the last week of the archery season. Above all, have fun. Don't get stuck in one area of the unit. The nice thing about the Manti is there is a road that runs the entire length of the unit on the top... lots of people recreate up there in the summer, don't be afraid to talk to others... if you speak spanish, the sheep herders could be the best source of intel... good luck and have a great time.

Hunted this unit twice in last 8 years and will be there again in sept. We have had great hunts each time, seen some nice bulls and had 375-380 class Bulls within 100 yards. The big ones are there but hard to get in some places. Like said before the sheep herders can be a good source, some do speak a little English to and don't be afraid to ask them to pack out your elk if you get one. My last bull was packed out by one of them in one trip for some cash and a case of beer. Well worth it! Good luck and maybe see you there

trdhunter

WKR
Ryan-Never thought about having a herder pack an animal out, that could be awesome as some of the places I hunt have lots of sheep and or beef fairly close. Not something to count on, but could be lots better than multiple solo trips.

OP
A
Update:
Spent Friday - Monday crusing the unit to get to know the layout more or less. I've been fortunate to elk hunt a lot of places and I have NEVER see so many hunters in a unit before. Deer hunters, cow elk and spike hunters and my dumbass all scouring for brown gold. The other anomaly I ran into was the locals being so tight lipped and not about to speak about the better bulls. I was able to glass a couple small bulls and a dozen or so cow elk, but in an area where I would struggle to get the meat out in time. I'll be heading back out there to start the hunt on the 28th. Hoping some of the craziness has died down a bit and some early activity starts up.

Beautiful country:
View attachment 28034

Too many people:
View attachment 28035View attachment 28036

Found the sheep, but no herders...:p
View attachment 28037

sk1

WKR
hunted manti for 3 years, lots of bulls, lots of roads, lots of road hunters(utah's finest). some great bulls out there, if it were me i would look at the hardest areas to access and start there

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
A follow up would be awesome.

Is the Manti still the same 4 years later?
Doubt your get a follow up as AZ hadn't logged in since 2018.

Still plenty of elk on the manti and still has the most tags issued of any unit in the state.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I can't believe I will FINALLY hunt the state of Utah. Have any of you ever hunted the central mountains of the Manti? Would love to hear your experiences. Thanks,

Wade
Wade, Looks like you have not been on for awhile. We talked a few years back and you said to call you if I ever drew an AZ tag. Well, your 6554 no longer works. Well, if the slim chance you see this, Please reply.

Thanks

Gary