Late May Wyoming Bear 2024

Seay

FNG
I know it’s not ideal but late May is the opportunity I’ve got. Finally taking my 11 year old son on his first mountain trip leaving on the last day of school.

The plan is to have a base camp but both fit enough to cover some ground and spike out if needed. Hoping to be in southern Wyoming (if the unit doesn’t meet quota before we get there) any suggestions or advice will help a ton. I was in that area this past September on a great elk hunt so feel pretty comfortable in knowing the terrain and my 11 year olds limitations. One thing that has started to cross my mind is that the creeks we were able to cross in September may be more of a roaring river in late May?

Again any suggestions or advice on both the hunting and possible fishing will go a long way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there anyway of getting a ballpark idea on road access prior to getting there?
Maybe knowing the snow line and cross reference that with what the road is at on the topo maps?

Pretty much most USFS roads will be snowed in, even some of the blacktop highways don't open till memorial weekend. Check out WYDOT road map to see what main roads are open and closed.

Snowies just got a ton of new snow. They are working on the road over I believe, looks like it on the WYDOT cam and that is what our friend with WYDOT tells us.
There will still be lots of snow unless we get a huge warm up, it has been down into 20's at night in Laramie still.
You might come across bears but access may be very limiting, snowshoes maybe. Snow could help with tracking one up to shoot though.

Southern end may just open up some, check back maybe later in month to see if we've had more snow up higher.

pm sent

I’ve been calling the number every couple of days and keeping my fingers crossed for sure!

You’ll buy your license,oops, unit closed prior or right at end of May. You have a lot going against you. Lower private lands already killing bears, and retards who have to shoot a bear, no matter if it’s 100lbs which ends up being a sow.

Bright side, you can go look for sheds with your no longer valid bear tag.

Last edited:
You’ll buy your license,oops, unit closed prior or right at end of May. You have a lot going against you. Lower private lands already killing bears, and retards who have to shoot a bear, no matter if it’s 100lbs which ends up being a sow.

Bright side, you can go look for sheds with your no longer valid bear tag.

Just sent you a pm

I’m headed up there next week for my first bear hunt. I’ll probably post about the experience at some point. Roads are definitely looking pretty snowy still.

I’m headed up there next week for my first bear hunt. I’ll probably post about the experience at some point. Roads are definitely looking pretty snowy still.

I’ll keep an eye for the post.

I’ll keep an eye for the post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapat
I know it’s not ideal but late May is the opportunity I’ve got. Finally taking my 11 year old son on his first mountain trip leaving on the last day of school.

The plan is to have a base camp but both fit enough to cover some ground and spike out if needed. Hoping to be in southern Wyoming (if the unit doesn’t meet quota before we get there) any suggestions or advice will help a ton. I was in that area this past September on a great elk hunt so feel pretty comfortable in knowing the terrain and my 11 year olds limitations. One thing that has started to cross my mind is that the creeks we were able to cross in September may be more of a roaring river in late May?

Again any suggestions or advice on both the hunting and possible fishing will go a long way!

Are you limited to the southeast part of Wyoming? With an extra 3 to 4 hours of driving you can get into areas that generally don’t hit their targeted female mortality quotas. If they do hit them, it’s late. I can send you a PM with the Wyoming harvest report from the past couple years and from that you can figure out what units will likely be open to hunting when you’re up here. Many of the areas have no wilderness or very little wilderness, which I assume you’re trying to avoid. I was in the Sierra Madre last week and there is still heavy snowpack. Also, some of the roads you might be looking to access don’t open til the end of May due to wildlife management reasons.

Definitely not going to let a few hours limit us from a good time. Already driving 17 hours. Another 3 or 4 wouldn’t hurt!

Anyone have any updates on spring bear activity? Unit 9s sow quota is still a ways from being reached.

7 days out!

I just got back on Sunday from a bear hunt in Wyoming and criss crossed the state twice. I hunted in units 16,17 and 8. I also drove clear across the southern portion of the state on I-80. If you have any specific questions about snow or access let me know.

Back