Lawfulness of having a dog on a hunt versus using a dog to hunt

I believe the WA regs used to state " in the presence or search of Big Game" or similar.

To the naysayers of saying leave the dog at home.....WTF?? What if the Dude just really enjoys his dog and wants to sit on a knob and glass for bear?

My dog(s) go with me often. Just a ramble and hang out. If they limit me on the actual probabilty of pulling the trigger...that's the cost of doing business. Bears win that day.

But I do have stellar dogs with a great handle on both.

I’d be pretty nervous to put myself in a situation that could be interpreted as potentially violating the regs. Even if you win in court, you still go through the hassle and ruin at least one day of hunting if a warden disagrees with your situation. Great advice already mentioned to call Fish and Wildlife, or maybe get an email you can print if the answer is affirmative.

rideold

WKR
I'd love to bring my GSP big game hunting with me. The company would be nice and not having to figure out care for her when I'm hunting would be grand. I had one year where I walked her at 4 AM, hunted until 11, drove an hour back to the house to let her out and run her a bit and then drove an hour back up into the hills for the second half of the day's hunting. Not ideal but it's what I had to do that year. The cost of gas was far less than a kennel and a better situation for her as well. I'm with the OP. If you can bring your dog and they aren't going to be a holy terror in the field then great. Richard Nelson (great writer for those that don't know his work) hunted with his herding dog all the time.

You are fine. Take your dog and have fun. No game warden is going to think you’re using a single golden retriever to run bears.
This.

I wouldn't give it much thought. Most of the game wardens I encounter probably wouldn't even ask about the dog. If your intent seems questionable, they will start asking questions.

S.Clancy

WKR
In MT it's legal. I've taken my dog on a number of rifle elk hunts and took her turkey hunting this spring. I just make sure to keep her well controlled and wearing orange if in rifle season

OP
D

dboone3

Lil-Rokslider
I found this eregulation saying this:
(RCW 77.15.240): Allowing a dog, owned or controlled by you, to pursue or injure deer or elk or to accompany you while you are hunting deer or elk is prohibited.

So it sounds like even having a dog with you while you hunt deer or elk is illegal. I tried googling the RCW, but the site won't load for me.

MattB

WKR
I found this eregulation saying this:(RCW 77.15.240): Allowing a dog, owned or controlled by you, to pursue or injure deer or elk or to accompany you while you are hunting deer or elk is prohibited.
While it does not specify bear hunting, personally would call the warden who covers the area I intended to hunt to ask.

Last edited:
Not much help for your Washington question, but back in my 20s I was single and had a field golden that not only was a bird dog but ended up going on most big game trips. She watched me miss a Bighorn shot, shoot a moose and my first bull elk. Probably a bunch of deer as well I can't remember. Hundreds of miles in a canoe on fishing trips. Her pads got so torn up on the volcanic rock Bighorn sheep hunting she had to ride out on horseback sharing the saddle with me. Hell of a dog. Have a great hunt!

Just call fish and game man.

In Oregon it used to say 13ft least, but now I think it says the dog can't pursue game.

But id just take my dog, tell f&g to pound sand and fight my ticket in court.

Erict

WKR
Call the warden, but know that your example lacks details for a concrete answer. Are you are sitting in a rest area hill with your poodle alongside, or sitting 2 miles into wilderness where your bluetick tracked bear scent to?

From what I can find, WA laws and regulations prohibit hunting "with the aid of dogs", it does not prohibit hunting "while accompanied by dogs". Good luck.

I found this eregulation saying this:

So it sounds like even having a dog with you while you hunt deer or elk is illegal. I tried googling the RCW, but the site won't load for me.

Deer and elk are a different issue, dogs, especially of the upland game breed are known to run down deer and elk. They don’t know any better, but bear hunting dogs are in a totally different category. That takes specific training, equipment, and hunting style. Unless you’re cruising the roads with dog boxes in the bed of your truck and letting them run down a scent, you are good. A game warden would have to be special needs to think your running bear with a golden retriever.

I’d leave a dog i wasn’t hunting with at home. My Brittany comes with when i’m after pheasants but if i’m after anything else she is home with the wife or boarded.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Sure, at $60+ a night, I don’t know why everyone is so concerned with how I’m personally choosing to hunt.
Some of it is trying to help you find a solution.

Do what you want, but if you ask a question expect some answers/suggestions you don't like.

Austink47

WKR
When I talked to a warden about it he said that that there is a lot of officers discretion. If they think you are using the dog to aid in the taking of game you’re going to have a problem. It is not a black and white thing. He did point out that you can use a dog to recover game.

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
anyone who says the dog will ruin your hunt doesn't have a properly trained dog. my dog has been on multiple mountain goat hunts and i have called multiple elk into under 60 yards and she sits right behind me.

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
It's illegal unless the dog is left at an established camp site or being used to blood trail on a leash. I asked a warden about bringing my dog to a backcountry camp, warden said no.